Define the term "life"

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by crazylenny, Aug 3, 2003.

1. crazylenny Registered Member

Basically I just want a biological definition to the term life or alive.

I remember in high school biology that there were conditions (I believe there were 5) that an object must meet or pass before it can be considered alive or else it is considered to be an inanimate object (such as a rock). Although I can't remember the conditions themselves. Anyone know them?

Also given the conditions, can someone explain why fire is not considered to be alive?

Several years ago I remember watching an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation (yeah yeah yeah I know, I'm a dork) where this very question came up and I believe Data explained (or maybe another member of the crew explained it to Data) why fire is not considered to be alive. Of course I forget why which is what I'm after.

thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. korey Registered Senior Member

I think they are Reproduction, Adaptation, Excretion, Respiration, and Organization....Im not sure if those are the exact ones, though...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Evidence of Cellular activity and cellular respiration. That's why Viruses aren't classified as living because they don't do the whole cellular respiration thing....it is soooo passe for them.

Fire isn't alive because it is just energy......it lacks any biological function...it is just a release of energy....as long as it has fuel it will keep burning but it isn't living

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. troj Registered Senior Member

true

im alive 'cos I P155 n sh1t!!!

8. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

The definition of life has become very blurred in recent years. But I think (assume?) that most biologists still use the “traditional” definition. As I remember it, the strict criterion for life is that it has the ability to generate and store its own energy. In other words, the cell must have an electron transport chain that can reduce a substrate to generate ATP, which it can then use as an energy source.

9. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

physically speaking it is the ability to decrease local entropy at will!!!

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Re: true

what the hell does that have to do with anything?????

11. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Crazylenny
    Words fail me my lords. Depsite the scientific camp's insistence on the meaning of life being strictly biological, or that of the religious camp that would go to war swearing that its a ghostly ephemera that makes life I have only this to say:

Life is anything that goes " squoosh" when you step on it.
    You find what you seek in a "squoosh".

Last edited: Aug 9, 2003
  12. troj Registered Senior Member

i believe that thats a life process of all living things Larda$$!!!!!

13. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

alive=not dead

14. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Life (as in to be alive): that which was granted and currently maintains the 'spark of life' gained by 'the life force'.

('the life force' being the force in the universe (like gravity is a force) that drives the propensity for life)

15. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Elaborate please.

16. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Says Mephurio:
    True enough, comrade. But what about mostly dead? That implies slightly alive. All dead is something else entirely. There's only one thing you can do then. Know what it is?

17. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

"To satisfy all of th e conditions necessary for life, all living systems must be able to perform certain biochemical and biophysical activities which collectively are known as life functions.
    Nutrition
    Transport--involves absorption of materials, including the movement and distribution of materials within the body
    Respiration
    Excretion
    Synthesis--involves those biochemical processes in cells by which small molecules are built into larger ones
    Regulation
    Growth
    Reproduction"

If you need further explanation, ask.

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I was under the impression that the definition of life is flexible and changes accoring to the need of the scientists in question.

However, you know if something is alive or not when you see it.

19. troj Registered Senior Member

moneky 'n' his super specs!

not true.................unless monkey has $hit hot vision and can see bateria

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Yes..I even saw some bacteria today.

21. troj Registered Senior Member

scratchin ya ball$ were ya?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2003
  22. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

No, I am visiting a microbiology institute in Germany.

23. troj Registered Senior Member

youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu lad heh!!!

must be pretty cool there...don't sneeze mind!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!