Defining a Singularity

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by MacM, Aug 17, 2004.

1. MacM Registered Senior Member

This problem only arises using the (I believe) false view of gravity as some mysterious internal property of matter. If gravity IS an externally induced force via energy transfer, a virtural singularity would have no gravity and great pressure to explode vs resistance to it.

Think about that for a moment.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

but couldn't it be suggested that it is the singularity that creates the energy you speak of......buy forcing spacetime to compress, creating matter that has energy becasue of the density and imbalance of spacetime......?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

MACM ,
    ____________Then why would a blacHole continue to have G , even after matter is crushed to ...., OK at what point ( DO U believe ) G existed after Big Bang ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MacM Registered Senior Member

Yes.

I initally mis-read your jpoost to mean "Did I think gravity occured after the Big Bang and that singularities or the initial primadoidal yelm volume did not have gravity. My response means that gravity did only occur after the BB.

I see gravity as being a property of a flowing energetic space, not an inante property of matter by itself. That is it is not local but externally induced.

As space-time (ST) expanded faster than F=ma of the mass created, that flowing ST caused gravity to build from zero up. There would seem to have been very little resistance initially to the inflation period but as TS out expanded the volume containing mass, gravity began to surpress the expansion.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  8. kula (Memes enclosed) within Registered Senior Member

Good point, a singularity should not consist of spacetime and matter so there should be no gravity. Maybe a black hole is different ? If spacetime is distorted so much maybe the matter falling into it never quite reaches a state of total chaos, but maybe i'm misunderstanding the nature of energy.

What does matter turn into when it is infinity compressed and what are the properties of that substance ? I'll do some checking !

9. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Here is my basic understanding... take with salt.

In General Relativity, a black hole has gravity because gravity is curved space-time.
    The space-time is curved as the matter falls in on itself, then effectively "gets stuck" in that tightly curved state, locked in place by the event horizon singularity. There is nothing to "uncurve" the space-time around the black hole, unless something emerges from the event horizon (such as hawking radiation).

10. kula (Memes enclosed) within Registered Senior Member

I thought that space time was also destroyed in a singularity ? Black holes do have gravity, so maybe they do not have an actual singularity.

11. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

It doesn't matter what happens at the center.
    Nothing that happens inside the Event Horizon can affect the outside in any way.

12. kula (Memes enclosed) within Registered Senior Member

Where does the gravity come from ? If spacetime around the outside of a blackhole is distorted, this suggests that a: Whatever happens inside does effect the outside and b: The energy inside is still in a 'state' that can produce gravity.

I think my presumption must be way off, as i thought if matter were collapsed enough it would no longer be particles etc and likewsise the energy that was gravity would also be in some chaotic quantum state and not interacting with the universe in the same way.

Stepping to one side a bit, if gravity is simply a function of energy, would the singularity that theoretically created the big bang possess a quality of gravity before the laws of the universe came into being ?

13. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Gravity comes from distorted spacetime, which is locked in place by the event horizon.
    The surrounding spacetime was originally distorted by infalling mass, and is now trapped in that state, independently of any mass-energy.

In other words, the gravity of a black hole is not a continuing effect of the black hole's mass-energy - it is a relic of the original infalling mass-energy, sustained by the extreme curvature at the event horizon.

14. kula (Memes enclosed) within Registered Senior Member

Why doesnt the gravity well 'snap' back into flat space once there is no information excaping to tell it too distort ? What is the process that is trapping it ?

Ive also heard there is a new theory by that hawking bloke who says that stuff does infact escape a black hole, could this escaping energy cause the distortion ?

15. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

So how does the effects of gravity or gravitons escape the BlacHol.

16. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

MACM,

What will happen to BlacHol if its heated to the temperatures near to that were just after BigBang but before Gravity was formed ?

17. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

The gravity well is held in place by the event horizon.
    Try these sites for a better explanation than I can provide:
    How does the gravity get out of the black hole?
    How do gravitons escape black holes to tell the universe about their gravity?

Note that gravitons are very hypothetical thingies. They have no good theory to describe them.

18. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

There are two things wrong with that question, according to the theory that describes Black Holes and the Big Bang.

Firstly, Black Holes get colder the more energy you pump into them, so you can't heat them up.

Secondly, there was no time "before Gravity was formed", as far as current theories go.

19. kula (Memes enclosed) within Registered Senior Member

Thanks very much for the links, you've made me feel lazy ! I still wasnt totally convinced by the explanations though, but i'm inspired to delve further.

The bit i still cant my head around is that matter should be anhiliated in a singularity, so where does the gravity come from in the first place ? Off to do some checking now.

20. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Be careful about drawing conclusions about what happens at the singularity. The singularity isn't necessarily real - it's actually a mathemetical artefact of the General Relativity formulas in an environment where they are inadequate to describe what's happening.

In other words, I'd really hesitate to say that matter should be annihilated in a singularity - we simply don't have good models to predict what should happen there.

21. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

funny that , a singularity annihilating matter, when I would contend that a singularity creates matter....and gravity for that matter......( excuse the pun).....

Why wouldn't a singularity create matter?

22. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Because a singularity is not a real physical thing - it's an artefact that exists only in the maths of the model.

23. MacM Registered Senior Member

I can agree with that.