definition of conciousness

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by fsbriggs, Aug 9, 2001.

1. fsbriggs Registered Member

here is my definition of conciousness:
    one who is able to induce the collapse of quantum superposition, ie, an observer.
    of course, this definition isnt very useful, because you personally cannot test whether something else induced a collapse- that test would induce the collapse regardless of whether it had already occured. your thoughts?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Hyper-Awareness

The crash of absolute reality? No delusions or allusions in which to harbor one's ship?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

I see what you're getting at here fsbriggs, but I don't believe the analogy quite works. The 'observer effect' specifically and only applies when the observer has a choice of observing, and therefore collapsing, the superposition state. This of course, assumes that the observer 'begins' observing at some point in time. Since it is impossible to not observe (taking into account all human sensory abilities) it would have to be the case that we are constantly collapsing waves. That being the case, we are therefore, never electing. Conversely, we can at times, and to a limited extent, choose when and what we observe. Superposition is not finicky; any interaction whatsoever causes a collapse. Perhaps it is not our perceived reality that 'naturally' lies in a quantum flux, but our consciousness that is the real superpositioned 'state'.
    The introspective act always ends up with the 'self' being elusive. Some would say that this is the type of effect you are speaking of. But what if it's the case not that the looking 'I' changes the self, but that the self changes the 'I'??

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. machaon Registered Senior Member

definition

Mabye there is no such thing as time in the physical universe. Mabye time is a tool used by our minds to measure changes in the environment. There is no such thing as sound, just our interpretation of compressed waves of air. Would a tree make a sound if it fell? Not if someones brain were not present to interpret the change in the environment (compressed air waves) . Self awareness is a result of, not a cause of, self-awareness.

8. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

What consciousness is, and what it is to be self aware

I just got through reading many posts on these two subjects, I've read a book on consciousness, it's a very interesting view of this topic, I thought of copying and pasting it here but i think it's rather long so here's the link to a site of this writer, his name is Julian Jaynes. The link:

http://www.dimensional.com/~randl/bicam.htm

I hope you all enjoy it.

9. Myles Registered Senior Member

Sound reasoning ?

If a tree falls it compresses air thereby creating waves. If we happen to be within earshot we may say it made a sound because that is what we call call the waves reaching our ears. when our brain has interpreted them. So a falling tree does not make a sound but it may cause us to perceive what we call a sound. It's as simple as that.

Why complicate matters. Try using Occam's razor.

10. Myles Registered Senior Member

Afterthought:

You are overlooking the fact that we are part of the universe, not seperate from it. As long as we hear sounds we can safely say there are sounds in the universe

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I hear voices and there's no one there!

12. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

[!]Already a long thread on it in this very subforum: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=49897

Here's my definition:

Consciousness is a process (biochemical and electrical reactions between neurons) where brain* evaluates incoming (or new, self created) information against the data that has already been stored in it.

* It can be other organs or cells too (example - heliotropism), depends on the life form.

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Actually when I'm awake I'm conscious, when asleep I'm not.

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Actually you are semi conscious when asleep. You are not unconscious, so.. :scratchin:

15. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Depends on the definition of "I"

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The dictionary definition of consciousness according to the American Heritage Dictionary is "Having an awareness of one's environment and one's own existence, sensations, and thoughts."

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

As far as I know I have spoken only once in my sleep. I woke up immediately after and remembered what I said but not why I said it.. Consciousness is weird.

18. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

A block of cheese is also an observer and clearly it is not conscious.

19. Myles Registered Senior Member

Cosmic Traveller.

If you hear voices when there is no one within earshot that makes you a special case. Not all that long ago you would have been burned at the stake.

My point is that if we hear sounds then there are sounds in the universe. So, if you are not hearing/hallucinating SOUNDS what are you hearing ? Have you a special name for it ?

20. Myles Registered Senior Member

Cosmic traveller.

You may not be in love. You may be sick

21. Reiku Banned Banned

My definition is similar to the thread starters: Any organic system that has strong conscious mechanisms able to collapse the wave function; and reduce reality down to a factor of one. This creates reality.
    To be conscious, is also to have independance, thought and feeling. It is the ability to understand surroundings, yet somehow reflect off its bubble and see ''self''. We have ''collective'' and we have ''systematic.'' Reality is built up of conscious experience, and vice versa.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Dementia!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:bawl: :shrug:

23. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If I only had a brain! :bawl: