Definition of Love

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by SeekerOfTruth, Nov 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slim Texican Registered Senior Member

"That was fantastic and poetic and had a lot of truth in it. That very well describes romantic love. It makes me feel like being like that again- i know it is mad if that description is true, but there is nevertheless something very enchanting just about being in love, dont you think?"

...Thanks for the compliment ele...It has been years since I felt it, but I remember, and it brings a flood of Desire.. For all those reasons I no longer pursue Love. Rejection is the opposite of love and it hurts like Hell.. like getting the Heart broken without hope of reward. I do not put mine out like that. The love inside me waits patiently now, no longer erratic, waiting for an Angel to step from the darkness with her light. The look in the eyes of longing, little signs of a flame, small gestures between us should show, Then its time to Give Love again..Between the two of us I think it will light the entire universe.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Riomacleod Registered Senior Member

yes, yes, they also say "love, it is a river". Either way, these definitions are so mired in Easternism that you're not really defining what it is, you're just trying to make pretty poetry that people hope can fool others into thinking that it's deep.

Sorry, not Love. Passion and lust perhaps. Love is the ultimate affirmation of body and Spirit and is the essential of their existance.

Again, passion... you all DO know that there is a difference, right? Agapic versus Erotic love? I'd assume that people interested in the subject would have at least heard of the difference.

Well, you're not persuing what you think is Love, which is good, because you were persuing passion. Perhaps now you will be able to step back from your search to find something that is actually existant, rather than something that is a finite mode of a finite mode (namely desire and emotional need).

Yes, it's called Love, and those are the people who understand that there is a significant difference between Love and between sexual/emotional need/desire.

A better example for people who seem to desparately need analogy.

Love:Lust::Beauty

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

retty.

I'll explain that better if people need to be shown the difference.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. slim Texican Registered Senior Member

........"Slim Shrugs and Smiles"......

Ok.... I'm gonna sit over here>>>> by this tree and learn something....maybe...

life without Passion is not living, and loving without Passion is not life. Sexual Passion is Different from Passion for Others.. I'm not Confused..

I'm not waiting patiently for an Easy Lay, Love to me is Trust beyond compare, a feeling of being one, knowing that one will always be there.. My gift of Love is not sold, to be bought by the highest bid, Its an offer of my Love to Hold, Its a Feeling I WANT to Give..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2003
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Love should only be considered a naturally evolved trait like any other and nothing more.
    Giving its definition as "what it feels like inside you" is displaying your animalistic simplicity as an organism.
    Like sex is fun sure, but we all know its just the mechanism of reproduction, the "fun" we feel is just natures way of making us do it.
    In the same sense, the feelings love give us are irrelevent, what it truely is in reality is a trait that evoled to bring greater success to the species that experience it. Mammals and birds started "loving" their children, this gave their children greater success rates and allowed for mammals and birds in general to become more complex. Later animals started evolving to the point where sex partners would love eachother and this brought even greater success so love has been evolving to feel stronger and stronger over generations for all the species that aquired it.
    In the human species(and probably others like elephants and cetaceans) it has become so powerful that the individuals assume it must be some magical force, beyond the natural world and of some divine mystical origin. This of course is false and only proves our ignorance and underestimation of the capabilities of evolution and natural selection.

Also when you realise this it is alot easier to control it's "power". Reality checks are the best medicine for a broken heart

8. ele Registered Senior Member

I think Slim is saying he is waiting until love comes to him now and has in the past done the being in love thing. he doesn't see a point in persuing love. I think the comments putting down what he said and also assuming i did not know what i was talking about when i said happily married love is quieter and described it
    were out of place and not quite understanding what had gone before.

9. ele Registered Senior Member

Rio, there is also no harm talking about passionate love, which can and does exist. Passion doesn't exclude love even if it involves sex. A passion for a person is more than sexual. It is also more than just attraction and does move into the areas bordering love. Especially i think, if unrealised and non-sexually fulfilled. being in love , when you are always thinking about the other persona dn wantingt o be with them and are pleased to see them and talk to them is significant surely, even if it is only becaus eof the dominance by another person of your life thoughts and feelings.

10. slim Texican Registered Senior Member

.. Doc!.. Thaat.... ThaTs some Cold observations Dude!... Gezz!...

Love to me is The Kindred Spirit I need, a certain Face and Scent, to have the one very near me that I Trust Wholely, ONE I view as a work of art, poetry in motion, the movements of walking, talking, the way she stands, movement of hands, music of voice, The Hair in the wind, the soft lipps that speak, the eyes that Speak also, looking for me, the warmth of the familiar body, the look of peaceful beauty in sleep, and in times that we must part, I long to just hear her speak.. simply knowing that I am wanted, needed, accepted with my flaws, as I also accept hers, and allowed to give infinately all, without reserve.. I Suppose that sounds a little Foolish......

Beauty is in the eyes of the Beholder, and I'd rather Beholding one for two as one..

Ah... Well.. that was fun...Maybe I am a little confused...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  11. ele Registered Senior Member

"and I'd rather Beholding one for two as one.."
    What does that mean?

12. slim Texican Registered Senior Member

"Beholding one for two as one"

I want only one lady and wish the two of us can become one As a team, as one against trouble, as one in Happiness, as one for each other.. to be complete.

13. slim Texican Registered Senior Member

The Power of Two Spirits working together in Unison, can be awesome.. I Believe all things are possible at some point in time. To have ones own Cheering Section in a mate, one who relates without words, who can speak wisely for you in your absence, who knows what makes you tick.. I think it can happen, if not in this life, maybe another one. I don't need or want just a SpaceFiller......I'll wait for the one..

Aww..Heck...
    Heres a Poem I wrote for one in absentia... maybe it fits, dunno.

This Rose

A fresh new Rose, Just picked from the Best,
    I give it to you, I've accepted the Quest..
    To Love you and Keep you, til Death do us part,
    I give you my Love, I give you my Heart..
    With a strong Hand to Hold and a shoulder to stay.
    I give you my Life and I'll Love you always..
    Its a Delicate thing now, the soft petals that glow,
    take hold of it Gently, watch after this Rose..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2003
  14. Riomacleod Registered Senior Member

And you don't, in any way, see that as a problem? If your life is being dominated (your words) by feelings for another person? That is pretty much the definition of Passion.

Remember that it has only been recently (ie Romanticist Poets) that passion has meant anything other than what I find at dictionary.com:

Obviously this pain is not physical, but emotional. Times when you feel empty without that person, that you need that person with you, that you can't bear life to go on a moment longer without that person is all full of emotional anguish, that we misclassify and call Love because people don't know any better anymore (actually ever since the Romanticism movement in art and literature).

Er... I think you may want to re-read this post in about 3 years and see where you are in your emotional development then.

15. slim Texican Registered Senior Member

Well Rio.. I suppose you are correct in your way and I in mine.. I'm an American in Texas and I'm .. uhh.. in my Prime? I'm 50 years old and have been married more than one time.. I look back on when I was 10, 20, 30, 40 years old and In my Heart I still feel the same. I still have a passion for life and people I love.. dedication! Even though I have most likely failed many times, I am still in Love with Love and I have many Passions.. I am now much more mature with it, about it and for it.

..My Idea of Passion without reading from a book is that it means dedication.. like Being Passionate about my work, my Art, My Home, my Duties as a Single Father. Passion can be strong and has inner bearings on the spirit.
    Being Lackluster or nonchalant about certain things that matter, is a lack of passion for it. Like taking the Long way to work, or home for that matter.. If the Heart is not there, you shouldn't be either.

Christ suffered in passion during that time, not because he feared Death, But because he knew his fate and he knew one of his Disciples would sell him out, and one would deny him. He pained for the children and things yet to be done.. he knew his quest would not be completed and Faith in him would have to serve as an Icon. He was passionate about life after Death and wanted to His people to know that the pain of crusifiction would pass and his rewards were soon, he did not want ot fail.. his dedication was Great. I think there is also a Play about that time in Christs life entitled the same. passion is a Great feeling in the Heart.. ...Lust on the other hand, is about feelings of desire and may have more Primal instincts to drive it.

..Without trying to sound crude... Making love to someone is a world away from simply getting Laid.. It is an Art in itself, an Action that Requires giving yourself over to someone you CARE about.. Their fufillment is uppermost and every action must add to the Creation and Elation through proper timing, attention and Technique .. Like fingertips lightly tracing the outline of the Nipple, or the soft lower parts of the belly, the nape of the neck, or nibbling the lobe of the ear, lightly working your lips to theirs for a play of the tongue, not lingering too long away from all other sensitive areas of the body and spirit you Passionately Join, light kisses placed carefully yet recklessly in a teasing, touching dance, not like a fiddle but more like a fine Violin, the Musician makes music that touches the deep senses of places yet discovered...till rockets blast off, bells and whistles sound and the dizzy feeling takes control, and you want not the end, but the duration of the feeling..like a rollercoaster changes ways unexpectedly, or the feeling of fast acceleration, Making Love is expectant of yet to be, a Drug but without a hangover is a continued, controlled elation. and its free... Knowing there more from where that came from creates passion.. and yeahh... uh..lust...Ok..I'll give you that one.

...Then ya have a cigg and ask, "Was it Good for you Too?" if she cooks a BIG Breakfast and feeds you vitamins, bathes you in the shower or tub, maybe fluffs the pillows you lost off the bed.. but does not make it up yet, you did ok..

Rio, Maybe I Got it all Wrong and you are right....

Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  16. slim Texican Registered Senior Member

I Do Hope I didn't offend anyone here, in my passion for the subject of Love, I was rendered Temporaily insane.. and flew into a fit of passion in a passionate display of lust, which I mistook for passion passionately.. I tend to get carried away sometimes, But I'm ok now..

passion
    SYLLABICATION: pas·sion
    PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: pshn KEY
    NOUN: 1. A powerful emotion, such as love, joy, hatred, or anger.
    2a. Ardent love. b. Strong sexual desire; lust. c. The object of such love or desire.
    3a. Boundless enthusiasm: His skills as a player don't quite match his passion for the game. b. The object of such enthusiasm: Soccer is her passion.
    4. An abandoned display of emotion, especially of anger: He's been known to fly into a passion without warning.

17. Riomacleod Registered Senior Member

Right, but that's only been the usage since the mid 19th century, and I think you can trace the debasement of several of the Platonic Ideals to just about that time and the deliberate attack on them by the Romanticism movement (as a denial of the Classical movement).

18. ele Registered Senior Member

i'm not offended slim. i related to most of your post. i agree with it. Well this part anyway:

"I still have a passion for life and people I love.. dedication! Even though I have most likely failed many times, I am still in Love with Love and I have many Passions.. I am now much more mature with it, about it and for it. "

Yes, re dedication to worthwhile ideals and acting on them, and yes re the being in love with love. it is nice to be human and be capable of feelingt hese feelings.

"..My Idea of Passion without reading from a book is that it means dedication.. like Being Passionate about my work, my Art, My Home, my Duties as a Single Father. Passion can be strong and has inner bearings on the spirit.
    Being Lackluster or nonchalant about certain things that matter, is a lack of passion for it. Like taking the Long way to work, or home for that matter.. If the Heart is not there, you shouldn't be either."

I like that and pretty much agree with it.

"Christ suffered in passion during that time, not because he feared Death, But because he knew his fate and he knew one of his Disciples would sell him out, and one would deny him. He pained for the children and things yet to be done.. he knew his quest would not be completed and Faith in him would have to serve as an Icon. He was passionate about life after Death and wanted to His people to know that the pain of crusifiction would pass and his rewards were soon, he did not want ot fail.. his dedication was Great. I think there is also a Play about that time in Christs life entitled the same. passion is a Great feeling in the Heart.. ...Lust on the other hand, is about feelings of desire and may have more Primal instincts to drive it."

I am not religious, but i relate to what you say here too.

"..Without trying to sound crude... Making love to someone is a world away from simply getting Laid.. It is an Art in itself, an Action that Requires giving yourself over to someone you CARE about.. Their fufillment is uppermost and every action must add to the Creation and Elation through proper timing, attention and Technique .. Like fingertips lightly tracing the outline of the Nipple, or the soft lower parts of the belly, the nape of the neck, or nibbling the lobe of the ear, lightly working your lips to theirs for a play of the tongue, not lingering too long away from all other sensitive areas of the body and spirit you Passionately Join, light kisses placed carefully yet recklessly in a teasing, touching dance, not like a fiddle but more like a fine Violin, the Musician makes music that touches the deep senses of places yet discovered...till rockets blast off, bells and whistles sound and the dizzy feeling takes control, and you want not the end, but the duration of the feeling..like a rollercoaster changes ways unexpectedly, or the feeling of fast acceleration, Making Love is expectant of yet to be, a Drug but without a hangover is a continued, controlled elation. "

true. and it felt nice to read it too.

RioMacleod, i also would liek to say to you that I am happily married and have what i referred to as the quiet kind of love and do value it in reality a great deal. That does not mean i dont recall the feeling of being in love slim describes well and that i do not recall with fondness and a sense of ongoingess earlier relationships involving a deep and abiding passion for and involvement and entasnglement weitht he spirit and imagination and sexuality and soul of another person. that does not mean that I dont value it. I also experience the passion re sex related slim describes with my husband. I ahve been fithful nearly twenty years and expect to continue so.

19. slim Texican Registered Senior Member

I'm Certain I think I can almost understand that, But it was before my time and me not knowing possibly lead to me debasing the Platonic Ideal and I'm almost Certain I do not Know any Romans and never meant to deny any Classics Their Bowel movements ..
    Please accept my Humble Appologies..

20. slim Texican Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the Compliment ele... I look upon Passion and love as a stepping stone to Bliss, But Being Feverishly Passionate can lead to Confinement and unhappiness in some aspects. In the Case of Jealousy a feverously Passionate person can confine and destroy anothers Bliss .. I'm Not a jealous person toward My Romatic Intrest having outgrown the insecure stage long ago! Absolute trust is essentual in each others growth and leads to a deeper Love with apprechiation for the freedom to be an allowed individual. I cannot stand to be confined and not trusted, nor Do I thinks its fair to hobble my partners movements and any career achievements.. To be a successful team and have the contentment of one, I believe the inner growth of each other can directly lead success for Both. To be one in Spirit is possible from great distance I think!

ele, the quite kind of Love you speak of is the most Enduring type and also the most Peaceful if it is secure. In my above posts I wasn't touting a Frantic type of Love.. Those can be sressful and lead to great differences that can destroy what one seeks to protect, thus losing trust and eventually Killing a Beautiful Dream unintentional.. Once gone it is likely gone for good for one or the other. I detest harsh words in anger or aggravation that were not maybe not meant yet cannot be recalled. I think many people do not know what love is or how it should be cultured and fed to remain healthy after 50 years or so.. I've seen old couples that were still hopelessly dedicated and loving in their Eighties, and the secret it seemed was that they Always had kind words for each other equally and Total Respect was always shown in public.. One cannot fix or mend a faulty Trait of their Partner by disrespect and public embarressment. A caring Heart Should never be bruised and is Priceless beyond compare! I think the trick involes being acutely aware of the others wishes, wants and needs.. Many people try to rekindle a Flame of Love they thoughtlessly smothered with Selfish, petty paybacks and most always it was beyond repair yesterday, and it is sad that they realized too late. One Needs to count blessing everyday and say "I love you" often .. I can't ever imagine it would get old hearing it or be overdone. It gives the comfy feel.

ele: "true. and it felt nice to read it too."

.. lol.. that Cute! was it good for you too?
    .. It felt good to Describe it.. I fear I'm getting rusty

21. slim Texican Registered Senior Member

..ele..Quote: I am not religious, but i relate to what you say here too.

My Granpaw was a Southern Methodist Preacher and I was Raised in Church, so I absorbed a Lot. I do Not attend anymore and do not concider myself Religious, Certainly Not a Nuroutic Bible thumper! I am very spiritual however and feel there is a higher power of intellegence and Spirit. The Bible itself is interesting in the History and accuracy of mankinds Perils. I feel the Ten Commandments are a good Guide as to How society can achieve realtive Peace if Followed even remotely.

.. Much of Religion in todays world has distorted the intent and content of Mankinds Duties leaving them far short of any Real Grace From God or the Power of all that is.. I want no part of the circus, yet there are Great wonders in the Heavens for Anyone to concider... I do Believe in UFOs and feel they may be the Angels of the Bible. I do not adhere to any strict policy other than my obligations to add Peace and Harmony to society whenever possible, and to live with as clean a Spirit in truth and mercy towards others and certainly do not covet anyones property for my own, including another mans Wife or other Precious Posessions.. I am Honest to a Fault with myself and others... Not liking the Heavy Heart that goes with Guilt of Dishonesty insisde myself. I Rather be poor than to live in a mental Hell of my own making.

22. wayne_92587 Registered Senior Member

Divine love is without cause, requires no action, is not give and take, Divine Love is the sharing of a joyous Heart.

A miserable soul has no love to share with anyone.

23. ele Registered Senior Member

Hi Slim. Just a quick hello. I am working today, and have kids to get ready etc, and dont have time to respond in detail at the moment, but will do so. I am enjoying how you are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.