Degeneracy pressure and Fermions

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Rock, Nov 4, 1999.

1. Rock Registered Member

Degeneracy pressure for non-relativistic electrons is given as p~1/((d^2)(Me)) where d is the mean inter electron distance and Me is electron mass, a similar equation is given for neutron degeneracy pressure p~1/((d^2)(Mn)). A particle is non-relativistic when T*>Mx where T=temperature and Mx is the particles mass.

What I'm wondering is: does anyone have of a good reason for all Fermions degeneracy pressures not to be represented by the general equation p~1/((d^2)(Mf))? Barring situations where d^2 is sufficient to cause Mf to no longer exist, of course (as in the situation in neutron stars, where the electrons are absorbed into the protons: e+p=n+v).

------------------
    Este est percepi - to be is to be perceived.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

-R.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. JebMonk Registered Member

Rock,
    I'm not an astronomer or a mathematician, but it seems to me the utility of the separate equations lie in distinguishing between non-relativistic electrons and nuetrons. Otherwise, granting the accuracy of your statement, the equations are identical. I see no good reason why a single general equation couldn't be applied to the degeneracy pressures of all Fermions.
    You may want to get a professional opinion though. Hard science is not my field.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Rock Registered Member

Wow, I can't even figure out where to start. Alright. I was right, basically. I've worked out a few details, like mass, radius, etc., but shortly afterward I'd found out that there might have been a small problem: I might be scooped by 15 years by Witten.

I've not yet found his paper, but I've read some of the other stuff related to it and they seem to be just that: related. I'm not sure now whether I was scooped or not. I'll keep on working on it until I know for sure. With any luck, I'll publish within the next month or two.

------------------
    Este est percepi - to be is to be perceived.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

-R.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.