Democrats, Republicans, and Protesting

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tim840, Oct 5, 2008.

1. tim840 Registered Senior Member

So I was at the Sarah Palin rally today in Carson, CA, and on an intersection by the stadium there was a bunch of protesters waving signs saying stuff like "More of the McSame" and other anti-McCain, pro-Obama stuff. At the stadium, the protesters kept raiding the lines to get in and chanting "O-BA-MA! O-BA-MA!" And then inside, during the rally, there were a couple of protesters that disrupted the events. One lady started shouting and punching people (one of the punch victims had to be taken out on a stretcher) and another lady started yelling "I hate McCain!" in the middle of Sarah Palin's speech, and such stuff like that.

And yet I cant imagine a Republican doing anything along those lines. Republicans dont really do stuff like that... why? Is there something about the Democrat/liberal mentality that tends towards protest? I just dont get it...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CheskiChips Banned Banned

No, it's a poor person mentality. It just so happens there are less poor republicans.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. tim840 Registered Senior Member

There was also some guy at the rally with a sign that said "Free OJ - raped by society"

who knows what an OJ Simpson supporter was doing at a political rally... but I was laughing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Everyone always sees the other side as shit chucking apes. Liberals AND conservatives do that! If you disagree and somehow believe that conservatives are above the common denominator of humanity then I advice you go to an anti-abortion protest. Get over your self and accept the fact that you and all the people you think are like you, are nothing but talking monkeys, just like everyone else in the world both friend and foe.

8. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Nah; Republicans know how to fill out the paperwork to rent rooms and make punch.

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

They'd have to get out of their cars and walk, for one thing.

But a few years ago there was a faction of Young Republicans, mostly young men, who were pretty noisy and disruptive at speeches and such. So it does happen.

10. superstring01 Moderator

Right. Because that's a factor. Your liberal intellect and sagacious idealism comes shining through. Again.

~String

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

(Insert title here)

Well, depends on the issue. Do you recall the anti-abortion protests in the 1980s and '90s? You know, the ones that led to crowds attacking women outside medical clinics and, eventually, outright terrorism?

Perhaps the bad press from those days soured the Republican taste for protest. Maybe not. Perhaps Republicans are just more selective in their choice of protests. You know, like the "Brooks Brothers Riot" in Florida after the 2000 election?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Don't count the votes! Angry Republicans storm
    election officials in Miami; November 19, 2000.
    (via Salon.com)

And around Seattle, it's not exactly uncommon to see conservative picketers and evangelists waving signs and shouting about Jesus, abortion, the war, and so on outside the arena concerts. But I don't attribute these minor operations to any particular organization. It's just weird to see people protesting for Jesus and such outside a concert.

I can't say for sure they're Republicans, but I know they're not Democrats, and they're certainly not liberals.

• • •​

Are Democrats and liberals simply not allowed to have a sense of humor?

Notes:

Booth, William. "Doctor Killed During Abortion Protest". Washington Post. March 11, 1993; page A01. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/abortviolence/stories/gunn.htm

Lantigua, John. "Miami's rent-a-riot". Salon.com. November 28, 2000. http://archive.salon.com/politics/feature/2000/11/28/miami/

Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  12. tim840 Registered Senior Member

Im not saying that Republicans don't protest. But I am saying that its usually the Democrats that you see disrupting rallies and demostrating outside party conventions, and things like that.

13. tim840 Registered Senior Member

umm no seeing as how I wasnt yet born

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Um ... okay ... whoops

Oh, well ... er ... carry on, then.

15. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

I think thats the first time I've seen this guy at a loss for words.

16. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Oh Fuck.
    What the fuck ?

This is worse than me beating someone and telling them that "It could be worse you know".

17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Oh no, Republicans never protest! It must have been Democrats outside the Vice President's residents chanting "Get Out of Cheney's residence" back in 2000.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1855645/posts