Demonizing people

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Sorcerer, Feb 24, 2014.

1. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

some ppl just do not know how/when to shut up.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat:

Scifes has been issued a 3 day ban for inflammatory posting and intentionally trying to cause a fracas.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Not trying to piss off the powers that be... But, holy hell... Seems everyone is being banned now. Hell, I just received a warning, my first ever since coming here almost four years ago... Yet, we have mods that pretty much can do , and say, whatever they fancy... WTF? I just don't recognize this place anymore. What gives?...

ETA... Nothing against you Kitt, you're one of the few mods I respect... You strike me as being fair... I just don't get it. It seems like some have agendas.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

Crikey, you got warned? What for? There couldn't be a better guy on the forum.

8. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

You were given a warning, not an infraction... but even that seems a bit, I dunno... terse? I mean, you weren't being mean (and admittedly, Farsights posts are a tad bit out there)... there is a bit of an initiative to stick closer to the rules... I dunno, not my call to make on that mate - if you want to contest it, put in a ticket would be my advice.

9. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

It doesn't take much these days, it would seem. Posters are dropping like flies. Soon SF will be a ghost town. Very sad.

BTW... Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated...

10. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

No, I won't contest it... I see James R's point... But, my point is many go farther than I did, and nothing ever seems to happen. And now we have mods that aren't held to any standards... It's just frustrating. Sorry for the rant.

11. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

AVOID THE BROKEN GLASS! Ooops my mistake not glass just egg shells.

12. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Mental note to self... Must tread lightly.

13. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*nods* it's something we are working on - trust me, there's a few of us that simply won't let that go

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

We've sunk our teeth in and are determined to hold on until we get things cleaned up and running smoothly again

Better still - speak softly and carry a big stick (of logic, factual evidence, and good debating skills!)

14. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

@ Kittamaru,

Yep, I can see changes they-are-a-coming.

As to your other point about speaking softly.....Can you learn me to do that?

15. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

Kitt... I just tend to call 'em as I see 'em these days...ya know, the whole goose and gander bit. I just believe we should all be held to the same standards... Shouldn't matter if you're a "noob", or an old timer, or even a mod, supermod, or admin... Fair is fair. Just sayin'.

16. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

C'mon... You've been here long enough now. Speak softly, and you die... Lol. SF isn't for softies, only the strong survive. Welcome to the jungle baby...

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Heh, fair 'nuff

I do agree that we should all have a slightly thicker skin when it comes to debates, but at the same time we need to get it back to the actual science/debate and not personal attacks

And yes, that means us moderators as well

18. Sorcerer Put a Spell on you Registered Senior Member

Now where did we get to? In all this excitement I've kind of forgotten myself.

Oh, yes. Is it wrong to demonise people in the name of religon? Yes, in my view. Please discuss.

19. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

Mod note

Scifes has been penalized twice for the same offense without any opportunity to correct the behavior that received the warning, perhaps due to mods getting wires crossed. It is under review.

20. Syne Sine qua non Valued Senior Member

All demonizing is wrong, not just "in the name of religion".

21. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

at least its on topic.. this thread is about demonizing a group of ppl...:bugeye:

22. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

Hmm seems like the demons are having some kind of power struggle. Bout time for Ole Beelzebub himself to step in and do a little fire purification!

23. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I apologize for Syne's outburst... he insists on airing his dirty laundry in public. Let me assure you, the ban was not a result of being penalized for the same infraction twice, and have been backed on it by both membership and moderation alike. If, however, the higher powers decide to overrule my decision, so be it.

To the topic at hand - I have changed my mind slightly - there is a time and place for everything, and sometimes people need to be demonized... not because doing so is "right", but because their very actions or intentions are "daemonic" and worthy of persecution... such as double standards, bigotry, and "Jim Crow" style persecution. Such actions, inevitably, lead to their just deserts.