Denial of evolution II

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Hercules Rockefeller, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I doubt it. But, it's funny you should think O comes off as a woman. hehe

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Clucky Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

*runs off to edit*

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Thank you. I was afraid to proceed any further with the project without your stamp of approval.
    I always value your discouragement, you know that.
    Well, they shall certainly be my own objections. I rarely offer the objections of others. You should take a stab at originality one day. It might suit you. Then again.......
    Is everyone around here having comprehension problems? No, it's only the slow ones. In Darwin's Dangerous Idea, Daniel C. Dennet has written an much more scholarly and informative book on evolution than any of Dawkins works. Why would directing my grandchildren towards his work be considered foolish? Since neither of my two children have any doubts about the reality of evolution do you think I just got lucky? It couldn't have been a proper upbringing could it?

I'm afraid not. I'm talking about The Selfish Gene, Climbing Mount Improbable and The Blind Watchmaker. I won't even go near his hysterical attacks on religion.
    I am not talking about his ideas, I am talking about the means of presenting them.
    But really this is off topic. When I get a chance I'll put a critique together illustrating my viewpoint. It should be interesting for me. I formed these impressions some time ago, so I'd like to see if I still think the same way.

That wasn't my impression. I've only read the one work by him and I thought it logically presented. Now that doesn't mean I agree with him on all points. He had a major beef with Gould and I would be much more in the Gould camp, but his attack was well structured and solidly based.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Actually I agree that Dawkins seems dogmatic. Although, then again, I have not really looked deeply into his works, so I wouldn't really be able to say. But he seems almost arrogant and stubborn.

Not that I don't agree with evolution; just, Dawkins seems arrogant and stubborn.

8. Clucky Registered Senior Member

Had you read "The God Delusion," you would not claim his attacks were hysterical. He presents an argument, counters it, and in a logical, concise way at that. They are rational, certainly not hysterical. The only time I have heard people speak that way is when they have not read the literature. I think it is his terribly english, stiff upper-lipped way of speaking which makes people perceive him as arrogant.

I look forward though, to your description and critique of his presentation.

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

He recently presented his ideas on religion on a BBC programme. I stumbled across it while channel hopping unaware of the subject or the presenter. (I had little or no idea what Dawkins looked like.)

Within five minutes I was infuriated by the tenor of the presenters entire approach. Within ten minutes I was thinking, this chap is as bad on screen as Dawkins is in writing. Two minutes later, after checking the listings I discovered it was Dawkins.

The guy just rubs me the wrong way.

Let's get back on topic.

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Aside from stating his ideas in the form of clear declarative sentences, which I regard as a courtesy, I can't really think of anything from Dennett that even appears as dogmatic.

In this entire area the criticism of attitude, ego, and so forth, seems to align pretty well with objections that can't find a better foundation. One thing about Dawkins, even (let alone Dennett, etc): the major feature of his arguments is not the egotism of his opponents - and when he objects to dogma, you can tell what dogmatic belief he is objecting to.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

A refreshing and informative critique. Nice work. :thumbsup:

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I think you mean "ignorant Christians".

You'd have to explain why a magical line would prevent something like speciation, given that you appear to accept "microevolution". At what point, exactly, does micro become macro, and what prevents life from crossing that line?

So does the round Earth theory.

So, if you have 100 plants that mutate, then 1 of them will have a positive mutation that it might then pass on to the next generation.

How many plants are in the world? Enough to make quite a few positive mutations, I'd say.

And that 1% (if accurate) easily allows for variety to develop, on which natural selection is bound to act.

This is incoherent. One point simply doesn't follow from the other. What are you trying to say here?

Where do you get this stuff? Answers in Genesis?

Again, I have no idea what you're trying to say here. This is so vague as to be practically meaningless.

Again, too vague to amount to a statement about anything. Are you actually trying to communicate something, or just baffle people with waffle?

How far it goes in what?

Well, that's a relief. One sentence of sanity.

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And that's supposed to be an acceptable comment from an intelligent, science-oriented, rational person in an intelligent discussion on evolution?

You surprise me, James, with your inconsistent postings on this forum site as compared to your ideals of both living and of site moderation.

Baron Max

14. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Come on James. I thought he was much more tractable than normal. I'm even thinking of taking him of ignore.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Max - I might start taking your outrage seriously when you start applying your high moral standards to your own posts. Hint: you might want to start with some honesty.

Have a nice day.

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Ahh, so MY low moral standards and dishonesty makes it okay and permissible for you to lower your own moral standards and be equally dishonest?
    Two wrongs make a right?
    Immoral people deserve to be treated with ridicule and immoral behavior?
    Revenge is mine, sayeth James R.?
    What's next, James, the threat of banishment?

Glad to see that you're living "up" to my views on humans and human behavior, James. And it's funny, ain't it, how most on this site continue to prove my point ....that humans suck. Practically every day, some self-righteous, highly moral member will resort to what I consider as normal human behavior ....being pricks!

Oh, as to evolution, did y'all see the "Non Sequitur" comic strip by Wiley Miller in today's paper? It provided a perfectly plausible explanation for the beginnings as well as evolution on Earth. I don't know ...maybe on gocomics.com? I'm not very computer-literate, so....

Baron Max

17. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

typical religious response "everyone's out to get us! oh life is so hard cos we're so persecuted and thats how you know we're 100% genuine! cos we're so woeful the only reason to join is is that we possess divine truth!!"

18. superstring01 Moderator

But there ARE croco-ducks!

~String

19. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

And God put them there just to cause more confusion and argument and conflicts between humans!!

Baron Max

20. superstring01 Moderator

There's no such thing as God, Baron. And if there were, then she surely wouldn't do that.

~String

21. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Actually saying we don't know if there is a god is far wiser.

22. Saquist Banned Banned

Firstly,
    Thank you. I've been altering my approach. Secondly, don't bother.
    I've fought all the No-Win-Scenarios and even won a few.

Negative James I meant what I said.
    The Post wasn't really for you. I knew there was a high probability that you and Ophiolite would respond. However, you've rarely addressed me directly before, I wonder why now.

In any case this is one of those situations where the Unstopable Force meets the Unmovable Oject. I've learned alot from these forums. I've learned where I was wrong and where I was right. I'ved tested myself in the fire of acrimonious bigorty on your forums and I am still here, a little leaner, alittle meaner and thankfully alittle bit more tolerant. Yet, perhaps more importantly just little bit more wiser than when I arrived.

I will always consider the facts, James and I do read some of your more factual and even tempered post but if I engage you here-now and in the mind set that you're in, then I can't say that I learned anything. So the only propper thing to say is...Thank you for your response and ...goodbye.

23. TheVisitor The Journey is the Reward Registered Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.