Denial of Evolution VII (2015)

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by davewhite04, Jan 5, 2015.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

leopold:

Everyone thinks that, do they?

This is so vague as to be meaningless.

Just so I know that you understand what you're talking about, please explain Gould's "spandrels" for me in a couple of sentences. Because if you think they have something to do with catalysts, then you're all at sea.

What anomaly have you thrown out?

Where? Please quote the relevant post, with a link. Or retract your claim.

NAIG doesn't have just one author.

Your favorite article is unimportant when it comes to the truth of evolution.

How many people wrote? Where can I see these letters?

That's an unsupported claim. But who cares? It has no bearing on evolution.

Of a clumsy explanation by Lewin. Or both.

Who cares what you think? You don't even understand what the arguments at the conference were about.

Probably they didn't.

Why? This isn't important to scientists. Get it?

NAIG is an anti-creationist site. Among other things, it explicitly investigates creationist tactics and exposes them for what they are.

Science, on the other hand, is a peer-reviewed scientific journal. It publishes science, not creationist bullshit.

1. Ayala didn't say it.
    2. Ayala wasn't/isn't "the foremost evolutionist in the US".
    3. Why would the foremost evolutionist in the US say he doesn't believe in a fundamental point about evolution, anyway?
    4. Why are there no other statements from Ayala anywhere in the literature saying that "small (genetic) changes don't accumulate"? Why just this one?

Fossilisation is rare. The reasons for apparent "gaps" are well understood. The simplest among them is that many fossils remain to be found.

It leaves us with you falsely proposing that evolution is dead and buried because of a mistake made in an obscure article back in 1980. And it leaves you as ignorant of science as when you first started this, at least two years ago. Just think how you could have used that time usefully if only you wanted to learn something.

He didn't say it. That's on the record. And even if he did, it would just be Ayala being wrong about something. Evolution doesn't stand or fall on anything Ayala said, ever.

Gibberish.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

How do you get out of bed in the morning and not end up with your underwear on the outside of your pants?

Because, no offense, but that is some crazy stuff. As in scary crazy stuff.. The scary part comes from the thought that you are allowed to roam free.

What is it with creationists and their 'pond of goo' argument?

It appears to be a staple.

My 7 year old has a better grasp of evolution than you do.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I've mentioned several times that the Giraffe's anomaly* strongly supports the ToE but if one insists on taking the ID /creationist's POV, it must be modified. I. e. not an "Intelligent Designer" but a very, very stupid one. That alternative of a SD (Stupid Designer) is at least plausible / supported by facts.

* It seems likely that the distant ancestor of the giraffe was a four legged creature with probably shorter than average neck (or possibly none) as one of the nerves that told "cheek information" (i.e that bee stung there or he bit his cheek, happen to pass below a bone before going to the brain for processing. Getting it on top of that bone can not be done via a set of many very tiny "analog changes" accumulating over thousands of generations. The relocation of that nerve to the top side of the bone, which later became the "collar bone" is a "binary change" I.e. there are only two "states" ("under" or "on top" of the bone.) So the long necked giraffe of today learns he bit his cheek with considerable neural delay as the bite induced neural signals leave the cheek area, travel all the way down that long neck, go under the bone still and then travel all the way up that long neck and finally reach the brain. - If the giraffe was "designed" the designer must be very stupid.

In contrast the length of the neck can increase via tiny incremental changes accumulating over thousands of generations. For example the average length of the giraffes in generation n+1 can be 0.1mm longer than the average neck length in generation n. Evolution can (and did) change the length of the neck of giraffes as that is an ANALOGUE CHANGE. I don't know why it happened but perhaps the short necked ancestor of the giraffe liked the taste of the leaves at the top of the short bush it feed on more than the slightly more dusty ones closer to the ground - Why the change occurred is not important as it did occur as each tiny stage of that analogue change gave a slight benefit.

BTW, the human retina is also "built backward" from good design practice. The photo detector cells are BEHIND the network of shadow casting blood vessels, and all the nerves collecting data from them. This makes the signals coming to V1 from an object image be cut into many dozens, (or hundreds for a large image) of separate pieces by the shadows. A lot of extra computational work must be done in V1, just to fill in the shadow gaps, with best guesses - not always correct, but I skip here describing how that "fill in" error can be demonstrated.

The octopus has a correctly designed eye - the photon sensitive cells of the retina are in front of all this shadow casting support structure. If god, the creator exists and made anything in his image, eyes correctly, etc., he must look like an octopus. Think how much more work I could do, if I too had eight arms and hands like God probably does if he/she exists!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
  8. Jason.Marshall Banned Banned

Perhaps "8" is the special number you may be on to something...

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Yes. It is the symbol for Infinity rotated 90 degrees. Do you think that is hint about eight armed God's true nature?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

God, in the female form, (and a tiger) posed for an artist to paint.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
  10. Jason.Marshall Banned Banned

Well it was the answer I used to disprove the Riemann hypothesis so I find that very interesting also my sun is in the 8th house. You see how amazing God is 90, 8, and, 72 are all related to each other plus, they all are synonymous to God now this is no coincidence. Twistyness !!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  11. Jason.Marshall Banned Banned

God is usually depicted by the lion so I think what the message here is showing is that Gods creations seek to become greater than God the multidimensional beings you have one here on sci forums the 8 arms in this case is signifying the multidimensional nature of separation from God and descendance into duality the same as what davinci was trying to communicate in his artwork he was known in the multidimensional realms and communicated with the biengs and they showed him many visions. And this women here in the picture is a descendant of an ancient alien race that works for God they are suppose to return not too long from now after the beacon is erected to broadcast the signal.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  12. leopold Valued Senior Member

i would if i could, but unfortunately this discussion is distributed amongst about 6 or more threads.
    and i'm not going to search all of them, IF i could find them
    the source was posted in one of threads i mentioned above.
    i haven't seen the issue where ayala wrote to science denying he made the remark, have you?
    go for it james.
    you are talking about an editor of one the most respected names in science.
    science says he did
    i'm sorry, science refered to him as "the moremost proponet of evolution in the US.
    ask lewin, or the paleontologists that were there, they probably knows why
    probably for the same reason some of my best links in this area has stopped working.
    and the word "genetic" wasn't in his remark.
    yes, like almost all of them.
    i am proposing that this snafu with ayala is a charade.
    no it isn't, it's on a personal website james.
    there is no record ayala ever contacted the source of the alleged "misquote".
    ayala based his remark on the evidence presented by paleontologists.
    gould addresses the same gaps.
    these gaps are mentioned no less than 3 times in the article.

13. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

Beating a 30 year old dead horse seems silly to me.

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

exposing fraud in science isn't a laughing matter kristoffer.
    i wonder how many of these other so called "retractions" are bogus.

15. leopold Valued Senior Member

because i don't like your pedantry.
    for example:
    i specifically said concept.
    can you formulate a concept james?
    how do you like MY pedantry?

16. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

Exposing fraud in science isn't a laughing matter, true, but what you're doing is NOT that.

17. billvon Valued Senior Member

So state your position.

18. Bells Staff Member

Someone misquoted one person at a conference and this is the "fraud" you are obsessing over?

Ayala himself stated he never said those words as stated and that he was either misquoted or taken out of context. For most thinking people, this should be enough.

Yet you claim this is a fraud and have yet to provide any evidence that there is a fraud.

The problem with creationists like you is that you argue from a dishonest standpoint right from the start. What with arguments about a plant morphing into a man and the whole obsession over the pond of goo. To your ridiculous arguments that it has never been observed. Which we all know is patently false. These are staples of creationist arguments. And it is inherently dishonest, not to mention somewhat stupid. You have consistently refused to read links, provide links of your own or even do your own research, instead expecting others to find your links for you.

19. billvon Valued Senior Member

You may have mistaken some L. Ron Hubbard science fiction for reality. He wrote a lot of it. There really are no Thetans, and people can't levitate.

20. Jason.Marshall Banned Banned

All this jibber jabber bores me I will return once something being said can properly stimulate my cerebral cortex.

21. leopold Valued Senior Member

have you read the article in question from jstor?

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I have. It ain't that.

23. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Actually, that part wasn't. I believe he meant it as a distinction from the clearly morphological: and this would be a relevant point.