Denial of evolution

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by river-wind, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If you design something, you can start from scratch. That isn't what we see in nature, where biological solutions are often comprimises created when creatures try to adapt their previous equipment for new uses.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I don't know if "study" is the right word, but I am familiar with many Christian Creationist groups that politically advocate the truth of various Design assertions. There's a museum sponsored by a couple of them, that features displays of people riding dinosauers and similar guides to "study".

Yes, I looked at your links. I have no idea what your new questions are, or which of your old questions already answered the links indicated.
    There is as yet no Creationist side, objectively. So far, Design proposals consist of statements of religious faith, none of which can be formulated objectively in a scientific argument, and misinformed objections to evolutionary theory, all of which belong on the evolutionary "side" in the FAQ section.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. John99 Banned Banned

LOL. OK.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Hey i dont know what those are^

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Saquist Banned Banned

I had hoped that the discussions that Fraggle and other had with me would influence them to directly address some of my points of contention. Only one made up which was...

Macroevolution has never been seen

Instead of directly countering or addressing the statement it might as well be saying "that's true" in a roundabout way.

I believe I had three other primary issues to evolution which the artical fails to cover entirely. I realise that these paragraphs are merely introductory to the Talk Origins links provided.

Because these are not direct yes an no's to the questions, I can tell that there is slant of favortism toward evolution when there is alack of hard evidence behind it.

I don't know about other people. BUT...
    When I see a religious article or a scientific article which begins an explanation with..."There is no reason to...", or make use of certain qualifers or points out a lack of qualifers, then I'm sensing an interpretation.

This was particular bad as it alienates insteads of educates the reader and should be left out.
    Sophomoric questions like this simply reveal the questioner's ignorance and prove what we suspected all along:

On the whole I felt the entire tone was too conversational. Consider who you are speaking to, Your audience. They will not all be proffessors of science and biologist. This is a for YOUR information page. You're not writing this to reaffirm you own beliefs you're attempting to draw upon logic and facts.

It helps credibility to admit when there is no answer to a question or...when the answer is Yes or no, Most individuals sense duplicity in vagueness. Be up front be specific where possible and where it is not possible say "I don't know" or this is debatble in scientific circles if it is warranted.

But if most of you think the tone of this article is propper then you might as well say I'm superior to the reader at the outset so they can move on with their search.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Macroevolution has never been seen

How do you know this ?

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Science, like the law, prefers that evidence be "seen" by human eyeballs, but in cases where that is impossible science, like the law, is perfectly content with other types of evidence. Since the most recently evolved species of large animal yet identified is the polar bear and it happened 100,000 years ago, we can be confident that we're not going to encounter an eyewitness to the event or even a cuneiform tablet written about it by a journalist.

Therefore the evidence that we have "seen" in the fossil record and the DNA record is satisfactory, given that it is a colossal body of intricately detailed evidence and there is no scientifically respectable evidence contradicting it. This is all that is required for a theory to be assimilated into the scientific canon. It is "true beyond a reasonable doubt" because its probability of being falsified is acceptably small.

10. Hipparchia Registered Senior Member

I realise that those promoting and contributing to the wiki have likely implied certain things, but I for one do not believe evolution is the result of natural selection, nor do any biologists that I know of. It is the result of natural selection, genetic drift and sexual selection - plus some aspects of epigenetics that are only now being recognised. Simplification is appropriate when everyone is on the same page. That is certainly not the case with evolution denialists, or those seeking an understanding of both camps. In such a case I think some pedantry is called for.

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its a wiki, add in whatever you think needs improvement.

12. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

13. christian_george Registered Member

Evolution and Religion

Well, I am bit skeptic about evolution. Foremost, it contradicts the teaching of the Bible. Second, there are a lot of loopholes in this, and third, it misleads us to believe that we are descendants of the ape. Well, scientists should spend more time with their micrsocopes or whatever, searching for cures to illness that presently plagues the world, or help solve the surging global warming.

14. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

Ok I'll strap myself in

I know another book that contradicts the The Bible - its called The Bible.
    Glad I'm strapped in here

Name 7 loopholes

Absolutely - that's rubbish - we ARE apes

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

This is a place of science. The bible carries no authority here because it violates the principles of science. The assertions in the bible are extraordinary since they hypothesize the existence of a supernatural universe, and by the Rule of Laplace extraordinary claims must be accompanied by extraordinary evidence. The bible provides no credible evidence, merely narrative descriptions of events that were written tens, hundreds, even thousands of years after their alleged occurrence. Over the past five hundred years, since the Enlightenment loosened the stranglehold of Christianity over Europe, science has consistently yielded understanding of the behavior of the natural universe and predictions of its future behavior, while the bible insists that the natural universe cannot be understood by mere mortals because it is under the influence of unseen and illogical forces in a supernaturural universe. No credible evidence to support the bible's claim has ever been submitted and survived testing and peer review.
    "Loopholes" is not a scientific term and means nothing on this website. Perhaps you're referring to gaps in the fossil record, but considering how perfect conditions must be for fossils to form at all, it's remarkable that we have as many as we do. In any case, the DNA record fills in the gaps quite well.

Or perhaps you're making the usual mistake of the religionist, confusing evolution with abiogenesis. This issue has been addressed so many times on SciForums that I'm not going to bother repeating the explanation. You can find it with our search engine in about two seconds and read it for yourself. If you don't know what abiogenesis even means, then you should not be posting here because you are in over your head.
    Another extraordinary assertion which you present without extraordinary evidence to support it. The evidence for Homo sapiens being a species of the "Great Apes," a group that includes the orangutan, the two species of chimpanzee and the two species of gorilla, is overwhelming in both DNA and fossils. If you have some evidence that contradicts it, please present it. Otherwise according to the Rule of Laplace we are under no obligation to treat your assertion with even minimal respect but rather dismiss it as crackpottery.
    We're doing that too. Apparently you need to read more fact and less fantasy (e.g. the bible).

BTW I'm curious what you mean by "whatever." This is a place of science and members are expected to comport themselves like scientists and use scientific rhetoric. Referring to the tools of science as "whatever" does not get you off to a good start. Again, you sound like you're in over your head and have only a minimal scientific education.

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Point to diagram to explain why denial of evolution has no place here:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The problem is that religionists by definition believe that a supernatural universe exists which is unobservable, in which the rules of logic do not apply, and from which creatures capriciously interfere with the behavior of the natural universe. The most pious among them brush off contradictory evidence as having been deliberately planted by these supernatural creatures in order to test their faith in them.

In other words, the contradictory evidence is itself evidence that these creatures love them and want to be loved back... as manifested by having the faith to ignore the contradictory evidence!

For example, the so-called creation scientists insist that the fossils and DNA were deliberately planted here by one of these supernatural creatures, in order to confuse us and make us suspect that the world is more than 6,000 years old. Since this particular species of crackpot focuses on biology rather than the other sciences I have not heard one address the issue of the light waves that have been in transit for twelve billion years, but I'm sure they would give the same answer: the supernatural creature planted them to test our faith.

I would say the biggest chasm between us is that they do not abide by the Rule of Laplace. Extraordinary claims not only don't require extraordinary evidence, they require no evidence at all, and in fact when massive and intricately detailed evidence to the contrary is presented, they can still be believed on the basis of pure faith alone.

It is impossible to argue with this position since it is fundamentally irrational.

18. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I love that argument, there is no way around the "God is just doing it to test my faith" argument, none.

19. synthesizer-patel Sweep the leg Johnny! Valued Senior Member

But does it not bother them that the Almighty God is deliberately fucking with their heads?

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

No god is right, god is good, and god "works in mysterious ways." Now it could be Satan that fucking with their heads and the evidence was place by god to teach the true believers what god plan really is, but they deny that because they have faith that its the other way around.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Science says ....

Source: dearScience
    Link: http://dearscience.org/2008/04/21/on-scientific-dissent/
    Title: "On Scientific Dissent", by Jonathan Golob
    Date: April 21, 2008

Every now and then I make the mistake of sticking my nose into the debate over "Intelligent Design", a religiously-driven effort to discredit the theory of evolution. I really should know better; it never seems to make any difference. Over the years, I have made the same point over and over: Show the Designer. In other words, prove that God, or whatever else one wishes to call it, exists.

And, no, it isn't just me suggesting the obvious challenge facing Intelligent Design. Why don't we check in with Science?

It's a good read, says me. Have at it.

22. Vkothii Banned Banned

My (not-so) latest theory of human evolution has to do with an inextricable link to our ability to learn (unlike other species who only evolve "biologically", or phenotypically), which meant we learned how to exploit things, like fire, then food - after hunting and gathering for it for a long time, some of us started to make the job easier, by having or maintaining a constant local supply.

We learned this, and we pass on this knowledge to our offspring - other sentient animals do far less, and much less abstract kinds of "teaching" to their young: it's more a chaperone's, or "keeps an eye on" arrangement, the parents leave their young to largely discover their own abilities and limitations on their own.

So my theory goes: we have altered the environment over and over again. These changes built up, they eventually meant we had to be more resourceful, and also alter our diets. This diet-change paradigm is believed to be largely responsible for the emergence of the diverse Pithecine lineage, as well as the later ones that led to our genus.

So, we are in a large sense, as our ancestral species were, responsible for our own evolution, and of the big, analytical, massively over-optimised brains we have. Or: species determine, by altering the environment and habitat, the future evolution and diversification of their line.

Or, they don't - which means they aren't around any more.

P.S. I should add the corollary: if an ancestral species changes the environment "too much", or makes it unsuitable for its successors, then they won't survive either. This has probably been part of the overall big evolutionary picture of inter- and intra-species competition.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  23. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Since we were simultaneously altering the environments of our fellow metazoans, why did none of them become more resourceful? I mean, just one species out of tens of thousands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.