Depressed people are more realistic?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Nasor, Sep 17, 2010.

1. M00se1989 Banned Banned

I'm depressed sort of. Someone tell me If I'm realistic... I honestly haven't a clue.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ShredMetalBlues Words Laced with Blasphemy Registered Senior Member

Interesting article, I've thought that being realistic was depressing. Cool to see an article along my train of thought.

There is a flipside to the unrealistic, happy view of life; things are more enjoyable. I feel better about myself when I view myself as smart and attractive, then if I thought of myself as stupid and ugly. Granted other people might not agree with my point of view, but so? Isn't how you see yourself more important than other people see you?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. tombyers Registered Senior Member

Somehow this idea is not surprising. Good mental health depends on ignoring how bad things are and how much worse they might become. If realism were a part of good mental health I wonder how different our philosophies, religions and entertainment might look.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pinwheel Banned Banned

IamJoseph is banned, reason: "Pretending to be knowledgeable about science, specifically bovine digestion."

LOL? wtf.

8. john smith Tongue in cheek Registered Senior Member

Depressed people are not more realistic.

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's just the most recent example in a long line of them. At some point we simply have to say "Enough!" Furthermore, he is guilty of intellectual dishonesty, typically repeating an assertion that has already been falsified without rebuttal or even acknowledgment. In a place of science and scholarship, where young people come to learn, that is the worst kind of trolling.

10. Raithere plagued by infinities Valued Senior Member

I was thinking more along the lines of assigning value based on those expectations rather than having unattainable goals. It's one thing to aim for the stars, knowing you might never get there but wanting to see just how high you can go. It's another to assess your own value by those goals, devaluing yourself if you fall short.

I think as I've gotten older my perception of myself has become more realistic. At least I come to accept that I'm pretty average. I'm not the fastest, the richest, the smartest, etc. and I'm never going to be. But rather than become more depressed, as the article indicates I should, I find I'm even happier now. Though I've never been disposed towards depression anyway so maybe it just applies to certain personalities.

11. ejderha Exhausted Registered Senior Member

As usual there is some hyperbolic nonsense going on.

In the article Signal posted there is a statement that suicide is inevitable for people suffering from existantial depression. It's supposed to be scientific, but it's not, because it's only a useless dead end remark.

First of all, what's the limit of intelligence or IQ or EQ that would make a person fatally depressed?
    IQ tests can only measure analytical, spatial, mathematical capacity.
    EQ " describes the ability, capacity, skill or, in the case of the trait EI model, a self-perceived ability to identify, assess, and control the emotions of one's self, of others, and of groups." -wiki

These are standardized tests. They don't mean anything. They certainly never mean direct success or progress. Today any child scoring above 145-150 considered as 'genius' and making a social cassification like this is meaningless.

Genius is an archaic renaissance term which relies on an outmoded and archaic historical way of thinking -which we are supposedly passed 200 years ago- that does not acknowledge the distinction between the very idea of critical theory and the simple way of comparing differences of individuals according to an ideal truth in a closed system.

It's as stupid as measuring art works according to an idea of perfect beauty, which precisely how the term occured in the first place.

What's the definition of being a realistic person? A person that is highly aware of almost everything around her but paraylised by the emotions affected by them or the person who is commited to practics of her own and other's life with moderate intelligence?

If a person is recognised as suffering from depression related to superior intelligence, -adult or child- the first thing a good psychotherapist do is to make her understand that she is different in grounds of the fact that evreybody is different. And that doesn't start suddenly when you are 30, if you are that gifted and different you've been all your life.

This idea of being "too intelligent of your own good" is in my opinion something actually very rare, but adopted by many as a defense mechanism by people who is mostly just suffering from being a human in 21st century, where depression is a part of every person's identity.

In most cases it's just a "I am special syndrome." It is a subconcious parallel to a quality of archaic systems of thought which define human as special like i.e. monotheist religions.

It's also an industry. A label, an asset in society apperantly went out of hand. It's a club, it's an identity. If you don't feel like fitting anywhere there you go, you are too good in the head.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The possibility that there might be a correlation between depression and intelligence, by no means directs to the conclusion that intelligent people are depressed, and vice versa or they're more realistic compared to others.