Desire

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Rowen, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Hevene Registered Senior Member

I don't think we can be desireless. To be desireless is a desire itself. But I do agree with the letting go comment. No matter what situation we've experienced, whether bad or pleasant, they are all in the past, just let them go and so you can have more to experience. This is lightening up - enlightenment. Once you realise that it's only right now that is important, you will remove all the restrictions that you have placed upon yourself from the past and just be in the moment and only then, you can truly create who you want to be, create yourself anew in the next grandest moment towards your next grandest version you ever held about yourself.

Also when you nolonger desire something (doesn't mean you will remove that completely, to do that is to denie yourself), such as sex, it's because you have found something higher. This is the spiritual journey we all take, the question is conciously or not.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Voltaire Registered Senior Member

true and if you want to be desireless, aren't you desiring to be desireless? also if the goal of a person is to be enlightened then wouldn't he be desiring to be in such state? your post makes perfect sense.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

Hevene,

I've read the conversations as well. He has some good ideas. Really makes you think.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hevene Registered Senior Member

It's great to hear that!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

You don't become desireless from desiring to be desireless, you become desireless as a result of following the Way.

I'm sure that Lao Tzu says something like that at some point in the Tao Te Ching...

9. Hevene Registered Senior Member

Well, who said Lao Tzu is perfect?

10. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

Lao Tzu was certainly happy, that's for sure. Ever seen the picture of the three men tasting the food, Confucius frowning, Buddha making a bitter face, and Lao Tzu smiling? That's because he knew how to get along and live a happy life, rather than critique all of the sufferings of the material world..

11. Hevene Registered Senior Member

Yes, he did. However, his wisdom wasn't complete, just every one of us. But that doesn't mean he can't be happy.

12. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

Ah, but he obviously knew how / why he was happy then, right? He is just imparting some of his knowledge unto us. We might as well take it, right?

13. Hevene Registered Senior Member

Of course, many of us do know how to be happy too. We can take his wisdom, but that doesn't mean they will be our wisdoms. Wisdoms are knowledge applied.

14. river-wind Valued Senior Member

A great thread. I can only add one little thing -
    "Can you have the mind of a child?"

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

sure, breaded and deep-fried with a side of ranch, mmm

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

True perfection seems imperfect.

17. Hevene Registered Senior Member

Spidergoat
    What I was saying (I should've said it more clearly) is that Lao Tzu had a good understanding of the truth, however he's understanding wasn't complete just like most of us. However, he is perfect as all life is perfection itselt.

18. stacy Registered Senior Member

then if nothing exists.
    then it means that something (nothingness) exists.

It's more verbal phylosophy ...

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I desire to retire,

for it is what I like,

for now I can go about

and ride my trike.

I go here and there,

to be so unconfined,

I always find it gives me,

peace of mind!

20. stacy Registered Senior Member

as i said, its verbal dilemma, that can't be solved with language, since its build in language.

The idea of wanting something and not knowing what that is you want and then if you do not know what you want then why the hell you want it, is a really old conundrum. Don't think we can ever solve it with logic or argument at all........ coz there is no logic to that.

21. Canute Registered Senior Member

I don't feel that this is a conundrum. This sort of desire arises from disatisfaction, hence those who seek to be free from desire seek also, or equivalently, freedom from disatisfaction. This is one of the main motivations for, or consequences of, leading a frugal and simple life.

There's a nice story of Plato, who advocated a very simple lifestyle. He regularly visited the local markets. When asked why he did this this, seeing as how he disaproved of wealth and possessions, he replied that he liked to go and see all the things he could happily do without.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

As I said in my poem I know what I desire and because you don't then don't think I'm not correct in knowing what I want and you don't.