"Destroying" Semen/Sperm/DNA/Vaginal Fluid

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by JMASTERJ, Jul 29, 2012.

1. JMASTERJ Registered Member

Hey guys, new here and I read something about how DNA can be destroyed, which was super awesome because so many of you got into and and thus, I've decided to make this my #1 science forum. I studied Mech E in school, and love physics and math, but I am really weak in Bio/Chem... so I hope u can help!

My question is, what is the best way to destroy all traces of DNA/sperm in men's/women's excretions? For example, if I had some semen and vaginal fluid, and someone "unsavory"were to gain access to them and I was warned, what is the best way to make them inert and useless if they wanted to extract the identity from those samples, or even try to use it to make a test tube baby, BUT not change the sensory properties of the samples? Meaning, no or minimal change in their scent, texture, color/visual properties so they do not know the sample had been tampered with, so they might think it is just a bad sample.

I hope this makes sense... I read in that DNA post that a common item like hydrogen peroxide can do enough damage... but I know it has a strong scent and may "ruin" the sample. In my head, I am thinking, what if u microwave on high for like 30 seconds... yes it will get hot but when it cools down, it should have the same sensory characteristics, but should have killed off all living/biological specimens in the samples... or no?

I realize this seems like a very odd query maybe, but it is what it is, and no, I am not planning on committing a crime if that makes u feel better... thanks if any can help!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hercules Rockefeller Beatings will continue until morale improves. Moderator

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I can’t fathom what situation you’re possibly alluding to. But at any rate, if I understand correctly, you are presenting one of the easier scenarios to solve. When the question of destroying DNA comes up it is usually in the context of crime scenes where the ‘sample’ is spread over surfaces over an uncertain area. This presents significant problems. But in your case the sample is (I presume) neatly contained in a small tube in a small volume. Adding a non-specific DNase to the sample should degrade any DNA such that it can no longer be amplified by PCR.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. JMASTERJ Registered Member

Thanks, ya sorry I cant give more info but.... so this Dnase is something I can buy (where, and it is legal?) and just what, in liquid form, release a couple of drops into the sample and bam, all traces of DNA and sperm will be rendered useless but wont change anything else about it?

Just in case, if it is really expensive, this will not be worth it... because I was thinking along the lines of microwaving/letting it sit in like 90°C water on an active wireless laptop which I read are all supposed to induce DNA/sperm degradation and are "free."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

8. JMASTERJ Registered Member

9. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Sorry about going a bit off topic here, but DNA has a lot of interesting stories.

Doing some browsing because of this thread I came across the following link. I sure wish they had this when I was younger. I think paternity should be checked for every child whether the parents are married or not. I read that the number of children born to a married couple that are not the husbands could be as high as 25%. The stated reason was women want to be married to a good provider while at the same time want to become pregnant with another mans child.

10. JMASTERJ Registered Member

I can see how that is all true... but my needs have nothing to do with marriage, paternity, pregnancy etc., its more like for privacy sake, better being safe than sorry.

BTW for all others who r reading this, I am assuming vaginal fluids do not contain any DNA, since no one has mentioned that, and for some reason I could not find anything on that in searches, only the composition, so I am assuming there isnt?

11. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Come now, you haven't been watching your fair share of CSI programs have you? Vaginal fluids do contain body cells the same way a cheek swab does. If you use a condom they can get DNA from both of you off that condom.

12. JMASTERJ Registered Member

Arrr I had to give up watching all CSI's, I used to watch them all... hmm ok, well maybe I am being just a bit too paranoid, I am assuming the equipment needed to get DNA and sperm out is not easy to have, cost/etc... I might just use the heat/microwave/radio wave stuff and be good with it then.