Difference between brain and mind

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Ancient_Yesterday251, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ancient_Yesterday251 Registered Senior Member

Psychologists are welcome because here's a question for my psychology class on monday. What is the difference between the brain and the mind?
    I have my idea's, but I'll wait until I've heard a few of yours first.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

as a rule, I'm generally in favor of getting someone else to do my work for me but you aren't even trying here. You said you have some "ideas" so how about sharing them first, at least then you can say you did some of your homework yourself.

I promise, if you have ANY interesting thoughts on this subject you will get material to use but you haven't offered anything but a thread name so far. You have to do a little work at least if you seriously want a half decent discussion.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Roman Banned Banned

Shouldn't this be in psych or something?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

The brain is a physical thing. The mind adds consideration of the abstract to consideration of the brain.

8. vslayer Registered Senior Member

the brain is the vessel in which the electronic impulses which create thought are contained.

the mind is conciousness, and the ability to understand. insects are able to interperet their environments, but not understand them. whereas mammals are able to understand whatn happens around them, even if not the scientific reasoning for it, and therefero adapt.

the mind is the illusion of conciosness we know, the ability to control what we do, and know what we are doing and why

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

a mind is what it feels like to BE a brain (and nerves ect)

10. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

mind is one of the function of brain

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I don't mind thinking.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Ancient_Yesterday251 Registered Senior Member

I wasn't trying to cheat on anything :S. My idea was along the lines of the mind being the area/areas of the mind concious of it's own functions

13. Neurocomp2003 Registered Senior Member

but are you conscious when you say the word...or does the word form before you say it?
    It also applies to action...are you conscious when you take the action or is the action in progress before you think abotu doing it.

the difference between determinism and nondeterminism

14. Ancient_Yesterday251 Registered Senior Member

I mean conscious of it's own functions in the way that could be described by how a person would act if there was no consequence to his/her actions.
    The brain I guess holds the knowledge and the mind is what uses it

15. oftheFather Registered Member

I agree.

16. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Physics and chemistry govern the brain. I.e. it is a complex DETERMINISTIC biological machine. The mind MAY also be, but this is certainly an open question. All of us tend to believe we have some freedom of action and choice. I.e. “free will.”

How the brain could create the mind with “free will” usually requires some exception to the laws of physics and chemistry be made. – A “Human Spirit, gift of God,” etc.

This ancient dilemma bothered me for years. - I have Ph. D. in physics and yet, like most of you, think I have non-illusionary free will. Finally I found a solution which permits free will to be consistent with classical physics and chemistry. (Others have suggested several solutions that are built on the uncertainty principle of quantum physics, but I would rather have no free will than one built on chance.)

Most will not like my solution, but I am happy with it. It vaguely follows Bishop Berkley’s view, but God is not involved. Like him, I think the world we live in is not real, but a simulation of the physical world run in the brain. I think my view is unique, at least in the rational I provide, but would appreciated correction on this point, if you have seen it elsewhere.

Most will think my “we live in a simulated world and are part of that simulation” crazy, but if you read the paper:

"Reality, Perception, and Simulation: A Plausible Theory" which appeared in the APL Technical Journal, volume 15, number 2 (1994) pages 154 - 163. You can send Email to helen.worth@jhuapl.edu to ask for copy. (jhu = Johns Hopkins Univ. where I got my Ph. D, and then worked at their Applied Physics Lab for 30 years. I.e. I am not some nut.)

You may not think me crazy, probably will, but most of this paper (~85%) describes in some detal (functionally, not neurologically) how the visual system works, so at least you may learn something about that.

In the visual part of the paper, I present a proof that the standard view of cognitive science about vision (perception is the result of neural computational transforms of retinal data) is false and that Descartes in his “dioptics” written back in 1637 is more correct.

17. Ancient_Yesterday251 Registered Senior Member

I agree entirely with you billy t.
    Not just because of the Ph.D either

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I believe that perception is everything......ie. you can only see what your brain says you see.

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

More importantly, you only know about the "real world" by what you can preceive and then infer with the mind, which I think is obviously more primary and thus more "real," but unique for each of us.

19. Ancient_Yesterday251 Registered Senior Member

Kind of like if everyone saw colors differently nobody would be able to tell. You would have for your entire life been told that the color you saw was....oh say red. When really if someone saw it through your eyes it would be maybe blue.
    You can't describe a color any more than you can share your perspective on the world.
    But it's not necessarily bad, it kind of spices things up a bit

20. Sajidkhan Registered Member

The difference between brain and mind.

The mind runs the show of living, behaving and acting out life within the parameters of the script provided by the brain.
    The brain is like a movie projector that projects a self conscious mind. If it is a still movie projector with no sound then it will project a silent slow one by one image on the screen; if it is a black and white movie projector then it will project the movie it is capable of; if it is a regular color movie projector then it will produce the color movie; if it is a high definition 3-D latest movie projector it will give you the most satisfying movie experience of your life, similarly it is the brain quality that projects and determines the mind quality which is a tool that the brain creates to become self conscious. The minds domain is to perceive in the now and the brains domain is to cross reference and filter the input with its entrenched patterns.

The brain is like the small child, the teenager, the adult and or the master. The mind is the manager. The manager has access to reality while the child, the teenager and to some extent the adult lives in his own dream world. First and foremost they both have overlapping hardware. Where the brain develops this hardware that the mind totally depends on. So the quality of the brain supplied hardware on which the mind depends determines the minds own quality. However the silver lining in all this is the true self is also very much real and this true self also supplies the mind with its own input. The true self often shows its frustration in the form of our so called conscience. So when one is feeling guilty then the mind and the true self are feeling guilty. Of course sometimes the mind feels guilty while the conscience is neutral and vice-versa. As when one applies for a job and is turned down because of lack of skills; then the mind knows that the self has screwed up by not developing the skills needed to get the job. But the true self is frustrated as it is the self image that has screwed up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.