Dinosaurs did not roar

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Plazma Inferno!, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

In popular culture, predatory dinosaurs are typically shown giving off a fearsome roar before unleashing carnage on their unsuspecting victims, but a new study indicates that they may have actually sounded quite different.
    According to researchers from Midwestern University in Arizona, the University of Texas at Austin, some dinosaurs would have mumbled or cooed with closed mouths, similar to how many modern-day bird species can emit sounds with their beaks shut tightly.
    Results of the study show that closed-mouth vocalization has evolved at least 16 times in archosaurs, a group that includes birds, dinosaurs, and crocodiles. Interestingly, only animals with a relatively large body size (about the size of a dove or larger) use closed-mouth vocalization behavior.
    Closed-mouth vocalizations, the study authors explained, are typically emitted through the skin in the neck region while the beak remains closed. Birds produce these noises by pushing the air which precipitates sound production into an esophageal pouch instead of through an open beak, producing a call that tends to be quieter and lower in pitch than open-mouth vocalizations

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1113414987/dinosaurs-vocalization-071216/

Study: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/evo.12988/abstract

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I would have suspected that the sight of a mountain of muscle, armed with nasty, sharp teeth and probably rather bad breath, would have made a terrifying roar quite redundant. Although the bright plumage that may have adorned portions of the hungry predator may have seemed a bit camp.

ajanta and exchemist like this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

For some reason, a bizarre image of T Rex with a droopy moustache and wearing a leather cap and chains has swum into my brain.......

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Scaling a cross between a dove's cooing and an alligator's rumble to T-Rex size would be a hell of noise, coming out of the night.
    I'm not sure the comparison to a mourning dove's coo is adequately suggestive.

8. Yazata Valued Senior Member

9. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately this prompted me to compose the following, to be sung to the tune of YMCA, by The Village People:

Dino, there's no need to feel down
    I said dino, pick yourself off the ground
    I said dino, 'cause you're in a new town
    There's no need to be unhappy

Dino, there's a thing you should know
    I said dino, let your vocal power grow,
    You can let loose, and I'm sure you will find
    Many ways to mumble and coo!

It's fun to be a big T.R.E.X.
    It's fun to sound like a T.R.E.X.
    You'll have everything for young dinos to enjoy
    You can mumble with all the boys.

T.R.E.X
    It's fun to be a
    T.R.E.X.

Repeat and fade into the KT boundary.

exchemist likes this.
  10. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I always thought that roaring was implausible. It's such a mammalian form of communication - while the saurians we know are pretty quiet.