Disappearance of Buddhism From India: An Untold Story

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by kmguru, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

ashoka's bloodlust was sated when he was born again. his empire was subject to his proselytizing of irrational bullshit

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

now the idea is to attain equilibrium of self deprivation of senses by lessening the impact of materialistic sense such as pleasure of food or sex or hate, that all must be suppressed. and replace it with higher sense of feelings of love or unison and understanding/appreciation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

ahh
    ja? nein?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

ja
    the Africans shall inherit the earth

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2008
  8. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

Well, then you didn't read my tagline "In pursuit..."

Btw, I am a guy.

Also, I do not believe the ultimate is depressing or pessimistic. I believe we are part of a larger game of cyclical creation and destruction and we just do our jobs. That might sound buddhist (and it is no different from bhagadgita), but I also believe we are supposed to enjoy what we have to and not turn ascetic.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  9. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

Exactly, you are basically asking not to enjoy what you see, which is not so easy.

10. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

Actually, it was with the onslaught of foreigners that superstitions came into existence. It was the easiest way to preserve and pass on a tradition to the next generation, without actually delving into the logic.
    Again, women were a target of the invaders after killing the men, and self-respecting families preferred to perish than be taken by the foreigners.

Also, Buddhism was not insulated from being corrupted either - it is humans at work after all. My native village was a buddhist hub a few centuries back (even today has a dilapidated archaeological remain of a vihara), and I know all was not well in the later stages for the religion.

Buddhism was popular in India at a time, but for a typical hindu who finds variety and contradiction an accepted and celebrated part of his religion, buddhism is just another sect and not something one has to convert into to embrace. Many hindus even today see Buddha as one of the numerous notations of God, and many consider him one of the incarnations of Vishnu.
    Thanks.

11. kmguru Staff Member

And when a Hindu accepts Jesus as one of the prophets to learn and practice the essence of His teachings, western Christians go nuts and setup obstacles through their rules of engagement.

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

The way I see it is this: (and this is no secret) The whole religious side of religion is all bullshit. I am referring to the "supernatural" which is to say nothing. However, I accept that people want to believe in the pixies for whatever reason. With this in mind I think that the Buddhist "faith" is much better than a monotheistic one - especially one that instills so much BS into the practitioner's brain that they can no longer even accept that the possibility of someone else's belief being correct could even exist. Me as a mere atheist am happy to say all and any of the BS may be correct I may be completely wrong. Ergo the BS I refer may not Bee BeeES.

Lastly, Buddhists seem to focus on meditation. Meditation increases happiness by up regulating neurogenesis in the hippocampus. Assuming Buddha was a wise fellow, it may be that his "epiphany" was that meditation causes happiness for whatever reasons and that the best manner of reaching this mental state is to strive towards removing desire - knowing full well 99.99% of people will never achieve such a state but also knowing that in this endeavor they may find happiness nonetheless.

In short, if we look at the population as a whole and accept that people by nature are bigoted arseholes I think Buddhism or polytheism does the best job at creating societies of people who are open minded enough to maybe find some peace with other people. In general. After all, I've never had a Buddhist refuse to shake my hand because touching me could somehow taint their very soul. I've never heard of a Buddhist refusing to eat food simply because it was cooked by a Muslim.

Michael

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If Buddhism were competitive or evangelical, it wouldn't be Buddhism.

14. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Buddhists have taken their theology and philosophy to other people.
    There is a competition of ideas. As soon as Buddha started to teach people, those people would have automatically compared this new teaching to whatever their reference base was. If it seemed reasonable then they'd accept it - and probably pass it along to someone else. If it seemed stupid then they'd reject it. That's what I mean by competition - more like a survival of the fittest meme.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  15. kmguru Staff Member

There may be competition, but in some cases, if you get in - you can not get out, like joining Mafia. They will kill you.

16. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Are you referring to the apostasy in Islamic countries? It's totally backwards isn't it? Can you imagine a bright theologian intensely studying all the literature surrounding a religious subject - basically dedicating their entire life to finding out religious truths and coming to the sick conclusion that if a person where to make the personal decision to leave the faith - that such a person should be murdered?!?! To me - this says something about the basic tenets in the faith itself. That someone could even come near such a conclusion - little own arriving at it, really does say something doesn't it?

Michael

17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

So what is the summation of the reasons behind India's vanishing Buddhism?

18. kmguru Staff Member

Because it does not have a God. And we humans like our Gods....

19. Rick Valued Senior Member

Well if it matters, Buddhism's original ideas of Nirvana are from Upanishads, and the idea of absolute truth union are vedantic in nature.

Buddhism was a great "Sponsored" religion in India at a time when Ashoka was ruling. This is because of his own guilt for invading and killing so many people, and since at that point in time this was the only religion that asked you to "relinquish" violence completely, he embraced it and then sent out missionaries to other parts of world.

It was after Adi Shankaracharya and Sufi saints that Buddhism started reducing its might. Adi Sankara, revived hinduism completely and did write some commentaries from upanishads. Remember though Sankara's ideas were derived from classical indian philosophy aka upanishads.

More so, i agree with one of the statements made here ... that is it hardly matters if the religion is popular or in decline , as long as your personal belief is strong you will be good

Rick

20. kmguru Staff Member

My thinking is, Buddha reinterpreted Hinduism...so did Swami Vivekananda. Interesting part is that Buddism disappeared because it does not really conflict with Vedanta.

But Jesus reinterpreted Judaism, yet Judaism was unable to absorb his teachings.

Does that mean Hinduism is inclusionary and everyone else is exlclusionary?

21. UltiTruth In pursuit... Registered Senior Member

So Hinduism is a black hole?!

22. kmguru Staff Member

No, it is more like Type O+ blood...

...an Universal Religion or Philosophy....

...most adaptive...that has advantages for smart people, but disadvantages for dumb ones as they practice aboriginal stuff.

23. Kadark Banned Banned

Thanks, UltiTruth. By the way, are you a Hindu/Buddhist?