Disappointment about our own species

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Mark UX, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

LOL, Renfield is not one of my favorite characters either. I would hate to be a tasty morsel for him. But then he did prefer fat juicy spiders over flies.

OTOH, I would not object being served up to Shakespeare. It might inspire him to utter:
    "Lord, what foods these morsels be"

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

@mods,
    Please forgive the injection of light hearted banter into this otherwise serious discussion. It is only a temporary insanity, I promise.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. brucep Valued Senior Member

It's a phenomena plant. It has many uses. Not the least as a medicinal. Ummmm.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

zoophagous maniac
    I do actually eat raw meat and fish-----------an even lower carbon footprint

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

I think I'm getting more disappointed about my own species.

9. sculptor Valued Senior Member

brats and beer on the boat in a safe harbor where the winds are calm and the bottom deep
    does it get any better?

10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I"m from Holland and we love raw herring. When herring season starts, the first catch is flown all over Holland. As herring are pickled aboard ship, the first catch is just lightly pickled and identified as "green herring". In Amsterdam, I remember herring stands on street corners. A big barrel of freshly pickled raw herring and a large bowl of snipped onions. The vendor cleans the fish except for the tail, which is used to hold the herring and dip it in the onions, then raising the herring high, open mouth and down the hatch it goes, biting the tail off.

The best raw fish you'll ever taste. Of course Holland also exports pickled herring in various forms.

Japan has its sushi, Holland has herring.

11. sculptor Valued Senior Member

pickled?
    Salt and vinegar?
    More?

12. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

In the US many (>60) years ago, they were heavily salted and free in many bars. I assume that "free" was compensated for by increased sales of beer.

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

In heavy cream and also as "rollmops" (Holland;s equivalent of sushi)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes, the longer they are in the brine, the saltier they get. That's why the first catch of the season is flown all over and is on the table in just a few hours, "lightly salty" (groene haring)
    \http://www.geheugenvannederland.nl/?/indonesie_onafhankelijk_-_fotos_1947-1953/items/ANP01:13865371/&p=1&i=9&t=51&st=Vangst&sc=subject all "Vangst"/

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

deleted for diplication.

16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Indeed. 90 years ago, my dad and his dad used to do a fair amount of heavy work in Chicago. At noon they'd walk into the nearest tavern and order a couple of beers each. There were huge piles of ham sandwiches on the bar and everybody was welcome to eat them.

Nice salty ham, resulting in more thirst and more beer sales.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. sculptor Valued Senior Member

Chicago
    BY CARL SANDBURG
    Hog Butcher for the World,
    Tool Maker, Stacker of Wheat,
    Player with Railroads and the Nation's Freight Handler;
    Stormy, husky, brawling,
    City of the Big Shoulders:

19. river

That we spend more research into robotics than than we do in the potential of the Brain and body.

20. river

That religion of any kind is more important than our own BEING. As in HUMAN BEING.

21. river

That we have become mean, nasty, judgemental and controlling of other peoples lives.

22. river

We have become arrogant and ignorant. Or ignorant and arrogant.

Great minds have become gods of thought . By the many. Yet they have never thought of themselves in this way.

Simplicity is the rule. Where complexity exists as well. The hydrogen atom is the simplist thing I know. However the complexity is UNDERSTANDING this atom.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  23. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

I'm late coming back...

Yeah...revalation (mind-opening moment)....virus....cancer. That's the sum total of the Agent Smith "Virus Monologue". Whether you got there yourself or forgot you were remembering it is really neither here nor there. The point is that it is a bad, factually wrong (actually backwards -- and therefore, ironic) pseudophilosophy.
    Actually, the fact that twe are capable of reasoning makes humans the only species that ever takes pro-active steps to preserve the environment. All other species will consume and excrete and grow until they use-up all available resources and/or poison themselves and all die. The "equilibrium" attributed to them is an incidental result of species competing for the same resources and killing each other to get them. It's an equilibrium of a war in a stalemate.

So, you have this issue exactly backwards. That's the irony.