Disappointment about our own species

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Mark UX, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

What does that even mean? Are your last four posts just you testing a rhetoric-bot?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

If you don't get it russ. Its not rocket science.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

I get rocket science pretty well, but "if you don't get it russ" isn't even a complete sentence. I think your pointless rhetoric-bot needs work. But hey, why don't you post the exact statistics on which your claim was based. Then we can see both what you meant and if the discrepancy you point to is real.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

So your saying that the same monies , at least , is going into Brain research as it is going into robotic research, really?

If I'm wrong fine.

8. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

No, I'm not: I'm asking you to specifically define and back-up your claim with evidence. So should I take it by your response that you just made your claim up and you have no actual idea what the statistics are?

9. river

Yes

10. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Figured. Helpful life tip: it is better to know stuff than to make it up out of thin air. So when you don't know something you should learn it instead of making it up (or just don't make it).

11. river

And its better not to add sentences or statements to anyones response.

I was honest russ to you. You added a clip russ. By you. Now that was dishonest.

12. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

I was clarifying by adding a paraphrase of what you were replying to, to your plain "yes" response. The brackets: [ ] make it obvious to anyone (who understands how quotations work) what I did: That isn't dishonest, that's how you do quotes with added words:
    https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/03/

Do you know anything about anything?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  13. river

Perhaps its the media that I watch. There is far more about the mechanics of things then there is about what the Brain can do.

Robotics is in the limelight.

The Brain research and its potential is not very much discussed.

It is our Brain that is fundamental to all inventions, from AC to the Space Station.

Lets give our Brains' ability to do these things more credit.

14. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

So I ask again: what does that even mean? Be specific: give an example of what "Brain research and its potential" would look like.

15. river

Memory

To photogragh every moment of your life.

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

There's your problem.
    Brain research is discussed quite a bit in the various journals out there. Science News, a good summary of journals, does quite a bit on neuroscience. For example, this month on the front page of their website:
    - Brain scans hint at reasons for binge eating
    - Brain activity in unconscious patients offers new views of awareness

- Astrocytes help speed up brain’s messages
    No mention of robots.
    We do.

17. river

I get the journals. Many years ago I subscribed to the Neurological Journal of Canada , from Calgary Alberta, Canada.

Journal's I know.

What my concern is , is this ; will our focus become mere robots or free thinking living Humans?

18. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

So, what does that even mean? Are you saying you would like it if the human brain could work like an SD card on a camera and be perfecly photographic? Well, it can't, and no amount of "research", whatever you think that is, will make it so. So if that's what you mean by "research...in the potential of the Brain", then yeah, scientists aren't researching fantasies.

19. river

How handy is a good memory russ ? What is the potential of a very, very good memory, russ ?

20. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Pretty handy. But that doesn't make fantasy a viable subject of research.

21. river

What fantasy russ?

22. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I disagree.
    Humans have the capability to take pro-active steps to preserve the environment. We also have the capability to destroy the environment and so far there is no evidence of any behavior modification in human consumption of natural resources and returning nothing but poison to the ecosystem.

So far, greed (a human mental flaw) has completely overridden all efforts for a more disciplined consumption and prudent use of harmful chemical substances.

Check this out:
    http://www.denverpost.com/environme...er-plume-flows-west-toward?source=most_viewed

Read it and weep.

Have disasters become so commonplace we just see it as a form of macabre entertainement?

George Carlin said brutally, but oh so true (for most of us)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  23. Russ_Watters Not a Trump supporter... Valued Senior Member

Your fantasy of a perfectly photographic memory. Is your memory really this bad or are you trolling?