Do Live in Memory.

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Cactus Jack, May 26, 2002.

1. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Every second becomes a memory every blurb of time. Really I'm kinda having trouble comprehending this. Seriously, do we really live, or do we just live in memory?

Just any thoughts in general would be cool.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. orthogonal Registered Senior Member

Hey Jack,

Good question. It appears that we unconsciously live in the present though we consciously live a half-second in the past.

Data from a number of experiments in the field of cognitive science indicate that there is a half-second delay between a stimulus and the conscious initiation of a response. Our mind only tricks us into believing that we consciously experience things in real-time. This half-second is actually quite a long delay. For example, a batter would never hit a pitched baseball if the mind didn't compensate for this delay.

This might sound a bit strange, but our mind is quite adept in tricking us. For example, we have two large blind-spots in our field of vision, yet our brain simply fills these in so that we don't normally notice them. By the way, these blind spots occur as a result of our optical nerve bundles exiting, and thus blocking a portion of our retinal walls. This happens because our eyes evolved backwards to that which an intelligent designer would have created...but that's another story.

Michael

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Really, wow that really puts a whole new spin on things, makes me feel weird.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

It's my opinion that we live in the present entirely, but that out perceptions are a mixture of present stimulus and past experience.

8. Hoth Registered Senior Member

Memory can only exist in the here and now of the present. Memory matters only because you can be aware of it in the now. However, since in the present we think in terms of the past, memory is the crucial record in the present of past moments which no longer exist.

9. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Many people live only in memory or daydreams of the future. When we are born we are totally present, then we get lost in mind and thought and then the journey back to achieve awareness of the present again begins. It's not so easy, it requires training for most, to see the beauty and perfection of the present moment. It's easy to see faults and what can be improved tomorrow, or what was better before and become blind to the instant bliss and perfection that the "right now" has to offer.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

Good thought cactus I guess all we have is memory and expectations.

I remember realizing that there was no such thing as the present just past and future but my 3rd grade teacher strongly disagreed.

11. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

She then said 'eat your leptons, albatross 455."

Here's a test to check out. Look at your watch, whether or not it's analog or digital. You should notice that the ticker slows down on the first second, taking actually a second and a half to move just one second. Ain't it a bogglah?

12. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

See I think I've had a rather interesting life dramaticaly I suppose (but everyone is like that) and my fixation with movies gives a whole new perspective to my memories. I even have a "memory drawer" where I keep things important to remebering parts of my life, it is so strange, I can be almost teleported back in time and think of events I've long buried and have the same "feel" about me (if anyone catches my drift-hard to explain).

But really unless I make a point to remeber my experiences no matter how life altering are not thought about. But that's what they are though - life altering, making me the person I am today, incorporated into my being. I think it's like that with everyone?

13. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

To unlock memories I leave behind little messages and hide them in places that I'm sure I won't remember for a very long time, for nostalgic reasons. At the moment I also occasionally write the date and time that it is on my left arm under my sweeeet watch (family heirloom).