Do they have the Right?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Tiassa, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

http://www.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/central/09/20/ret.cleric.statement/
    I am not surprised that the US has rejected the terms of bin Laden's extradition; nor am I surprised by the content of the ulema's release. However, given that this is Afghanistan, I'm curious what right the ulema has to demand of the US that which the nation of Afghanistan will not grant to its own citizens. It's not that I disagree with this particular term; I tend to hold such a condition for anyone wanted for a crime. So whether or not it's a fair question in general is not the issue, as far as I'm concerned. I'm curious about what makes the Afghani ulema think it has they can demand for their guest what they do not provide within their borders.

Lysander Spooner once noted that a people cannot bestow unto its government any right or power which they, the people, do not possess; in other words, you cannot give away what you do not have. Is such an idea even relevant for contrast? One is entitled to demand justice, whether one is willing to give it or not. However, is one entitled to demand conditions of justice? How can one make demands of what they do not accept anyway?

To wit: I do not believe in the Christian god; I take many rhetorical stabs after the idea, but at no time will I demand anything directly of that God: how can I demand anything of something I don't think is real?

Likewise, how can one demand anything of a form of justice one believes to be illegitimate? The standards of Justice are very different in Afghanistan than they are here; we are a nation by, of, and for the people. Afghanistan is a nation of its people, by its leaders, and for its version of God. If their way is superior, what do they accomplish by demanding conditions of what they view as an inappropriate and inferior justice?

How can the Taliban demand a higher standard of justice than its people are entitled to?

I think it would be best if they just coughed up bin Laden. Even to a Muslim nation. But the only way to prevent the coming warfare will be to fight fire with fire; it keeps occurring to me that there aren't as many "innocent" people left in Afghanistan. They're all dead or rotting in prisons. Or something sarcastic like that.

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KalvinB Publicity Whore Registered Senior Member

Reason only works with reasonable people.

That which is superior justice to the Taliban is that which does them the most good. Bin Laden is an asset to their country. They're trying to play by our rules in order to keep him away from us. They want our version of justice only when it suits them.

I don't know if you keep up with Slashdot but a comment was made that instead of bombs and missles we should sprinkle the country side with fresh pig urine and if we catch Bin Laden we should string him up in pig skin. Doing so would render Afganistan very unholy and send Bin Laden straight to hell.

Course I'm sure they'd come up with some sort of "everything shield."

It's an odd form of justice but sometimes playing by the other team's rules is the best way to go whether you agree with it or not.

Ben

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

Remember that Osama Bin Laden was the one who rallied the Muslims to fight and defend Afghanistan against Russia. If it wasn't for him then afghanistan would probably belong to Russia right now. therefore, Osama bin Laden should be expected to be seen as a hero in his own country and a guest. I'm sure the U.S. would do the same if someone was responsible for saving the US.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Sir. Loone Jesus is Lord! Registered Senior Member

America, Unite!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

GOD SAVE AMERICA!...GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    Stand firm against the enemy in the power power of His might! Justus is on it's way! Hope and pray that we will not fall to complacency!