Do you admire the police?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Norsefire, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

This thread idea came to me from a separate thread; I am well aware that there are corrupt cops, and I am well aware that there are people that hate police.

However, they usually tend to be........criminals or criminal sympathizers.
    The police risk their life to maintain law and order; they are heroes, in my opinion, and I see no reason why not to admire them.

Do you admire the police?

There is something I've noticed: people admire doctors and firefighters more than police. Why is that?

Well, I think policemen are heroes.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I thank i can have a feelin of admiration for particular individuals mor than particular professions.!!!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mordea Registered Senior Member

Because police have a significant amount of power and privilege, and are prone to abusing it.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mike47 Banned Banned

Some cops are good people and some are pigs . I do not trust them though because there is too much of fabrication in their works .

8. fellowtraveler Banned Banned

REPLY: I have known two Boston Policeman who are friends of mine. I admire both of them as Marine Veterans of the VIET NAM WAR, who, like me saw a lot of action in VIET NAM, were both seriously injured in VIET NAM as was I. For this I admire them. From some of the stories they told me about police work, I am ambivalent as to whether I would say I admire them for that. I would never doubt either of these mens courage, because of what they did in Viet Nam, not for their work as policemen per se. Not that they were not required to show some courage now and then as policemen.
    Compared to what we all three went through and did in VIET NAM, FIGHT TO DEATH IN BATTLES WE WERE EVENLY AND EVEN AT TIMES GREATLY OUTNUMBERED WITH NO BACK UP, the courage required of them as policemen was not and is not comparable. They would be the first to agree on that score.
    I would say some of what they have told me of their police work is less than admirable, not by them, but the sort of crap they observed being done by fellow officers they took it upon themselves to put a stop to. Bullying in general was a common occurance with some policemen for instance.
    This is not to say some policemen`s jobs do not require some courage at times. And some policemen do perform heroically sometimes. There are also some policemen who abuse their authority and things such as TESTILYING are all too common.
    My admiration is for the front line military first and foremost and that some police deserve some of the same sort of admiration. What many police officers get medals for was considered by us frontline MARINES as unnoteworthy if not laughable. The standards were that different and more demanding of the Marines and Soldiers I served with when and where I served. Getting shot at meant nothing at all and happened all the time and of course we fired back and it got very deadly for all involved and that was the way we lived sometimes on a daily basis. No one was getting any medals for what was considered doing our duty. ...fellowtraveler ......PS EXCEPT THE OFFICERS WHO WERE ALWAYS BEHIND US, and yet dreamed up reasons why THEY ALONE should receive medals. They would come up with all kinds of phony crap. Directed effective artillery fire under extreme duress,that sort of crap. Keep in mind, they are behind US FRONTLINE TROOPS WHO ARE SHOOTING IT OUT WITH ENEMY SOLDIERS IN AND AMONST US AT TIMES, with machine guns and automatic rifles. We get nothing, they get medals. Your commanding officer has to OK any medal you get put up for as far as I know. Is this true or not. Mine hated me and I hated him. I got put up for medals and promotions and they were all denied by him and that was the end of it. I was hardly alone. If you were not a kiss ass the only medals you got were mandantory and given to me by the Secretary of the Navy.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  9. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I certainly admire and have respect for what they do. But on a personal level, I'd rather avoid them. I hate how they always end up making me angry, even when I am trying to be nice or how they treat me like a criminal when I'm the victim. Most of them develop that same God complex that doctors get, which annoys me to no end.

10. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

eh...

I don't envy them having to deal with the dregs of human society & whatnot, but I've encountered enough that were pricks apparently given more power than their tiny minds were capable of handling without being overwhelmed to feel a blanket respect for all of them.

I respect the good ones, and fuck the rest of 'em.

eh...

I think doctors are like wizards to most people... ...and yet they tell you to be an "informed patient" and make sure you engage in a dialogue with your doctor about anything that might be amiss with your physical condition, just in case.

I admire the discipline it took to become a doctor - just don't cut my foot off if I'm supposed to be having my appendix removed !

Firefighters somehow seem more selfless in that their job doesn't involve intimidating you just because they can, and only being taken to task for it if it's caught on video. A shameless generalization, I know - but there it is.
    And of course there's that bit about risking being incinerated alive just to rescue your pet cat "Poofy-butt" from the blazing inferno that you used to live in...

I dunno why that gets more points than risking some scum-sucking waste of human life on parole in spite of multiple offenses shooting you just because they can.

11. fellowtraveler Banned Banned

REPLY: It does not sound to me as if you admire or respect them. It sounds to me like you are afraid of them, and I would say for good reason. They can cause you all sorts of misery with little effort and you know it and I do also. ...fellow traveler

12. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Doctors, nurses, paramedics, firefighters and the like only save lives. They will never purposefully deprive anybody of life. They are non-maleficent professions, and that is why they are respected and trusted.

Police on the other hand do deprive people of their lives (in addition to saving them). And in most cases, the police are pests. It is truly a job for losers, just like the military. If your desire truly is to do good works in the world, then you can do so in better ways (and to much greater degrees) than by opting to become a cop. That leaves me with only one conclusion: people who want to become police are subconsciously possessed by a desire to commit violence with impunity.

I don't expect an abolition of the police force; we do need them. However, that does not legitimize or redefine policework as something noble.

13. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Police are a mixed bag. There are many of them who are just there for the power the position provides them, and they tend to abuse the power given to them. Then again there are some really good cops that are just out to protect and serve. Bottom line, they are a mixed bunch.

14. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Mainly it is the Muslim and Indian immigrant doctors who develop those god complexes. East Asian doctors tend to be a lot more subdued and polite, and I think it's because the culture they come from teaches submissiveness as a positive trait. When I call to get a physician order for a med that I think a patient needs immediately, those doctors will ask me what I recommend we get for the patient.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  15. Doreen Valued Senior Member

God complexes are thriving just fine in the US and all the parts of Europe I have been in. My limited experience in East Asia fits what you say. The doctors I encountered their, and the dentists and opthamologists were very down to earth compared to other doctors I've met. The police on the other hand were rather scary.

I can't say I admire police. They are often people who, well, like to tell other people what to do. They seem to think their honor and self-image is more valuable than other people's. I am sure many are just peachy. Of course if they are supporting laws or regimes I think are immoral than they have little chance of getting my admiration.

16. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

You're right I don't admire or respect them on a personal level, but I do have great admiration for what they do. They deal directly with the public (I know how fun of a job that can be) and not just the nice people, they put their lives on the line to protect us and I most certainly have respect for that. That being said I don't really like dealing with them because they get on my nerves, much faster than people of other professions.

17. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Never bothered to count how many were of one race or another, just knew I wanted to smack a reality check into them. That goes for the police too, I did actually smack an officer who was interrogating me once, but it was just his hand.

18. fellowtraveler Banned Banned

REPLY: I pretty much agree with everything you said as to policemen. But I to put the military in the same catagory angers me. These men and now women put their lives at extreme risk with very little offered in return. You see them as losers. I understand why you think this. But I know many of them and am a veteran myself, boy you really got me thinking now. Maybe you are right to some degree. I think I can honestly say that your freedom from tyrany, religious or any other depends on the willingness of these men and women to courageously fight your and my foes for us. I meet and hang out with these guys and the ones I hit it off with I admire very much. I have met some I kicked the crap out of because we absolutely hated each other and they made the mistake of screwing with me.
    This really does fit in with my ORIGINAL THEORY: ON HOW THE CULTURAL EVOLUTION OF MANKIND LED TO THE UNIVERSAL NEUROSIS OF OUR SPECIES.You got me thinking. Let me ask you this: Do you consider yourself to be somehow superior to losers such as me ? I am no policeman and do NOT revere them in any way. I am a WAR VETERAN,INFANTRYMAN WHO HAS KILLED MANY ENEMIES OF THE USA. Do you see me in the same way you see policemen ? Frankly, I think most policeman are cowardly bullies who hide behind their badges and guns. Without which they would be reluctant to stand up in a fair fight in the sorts of barroom brawls and such I get into now and then. Fair in the sense that we enter into such contests with no authoratative advantage. We have ourselves to count on, and no back up to call upon, things like that ?No badge, no courts on our side. How say you willnever ?

19. ogdred Registered Senior Member

Police officers are individuals. Some of them are perfectly ordinary, and some are real dicks. I think it's true that the profession often attracts people who crave control over others--how could it not? It also seems reasonable that, when put in a position of power over others, some individuals internalize the role and develop a sort of narcissism. You know, the whole "power corrupts" bit.

But, we should not deceive ourselves when it comes to the amount of power that the individual officer actually holds. These guys are not making the rules, they're just at the bottom of an imperfect system.

I don't admire officers, doctors, or firefighters. Seems a little naive to idolize entire groups of people, based on their profession. :shrug:

20. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I live in a small town. I think we have 4 cops. Each of them is very nice and helpful. But I think their jobs are less stressful than a large city cop's job.
    I know I couldn't be a cop. I'd be shooting people.

21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

The Indian physicians I have know and I have know quite a few are all to a man some of the best (technically and from a patient care point of view). I have never seen an arogant or rude Indian physician. I am sure there must be some out there. It is just that I have never met one.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

me neither. The only rude doctor I ever met was Asian. And I think he was rude because he just was, not because he was Asian.

23. mike47 Banned Banned

I live in a big city . we have good cops and bad ones : it goes like this in all jobs and all professions .