Do you approach conversations in good faith?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by wegs, May 8, 2019.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

But, Trump says it’s because of himmmm!!!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

yet imagine how much less injury a round pole would cause.(better visibility too)
    the google image, some basic math
    35 kilo child with 20 kilo bike
    traveling at 15 kilometers per hour
    impacting on a 6mm wide edge...

my math is not so great, but im guessing that equals a lot of impact damage
    all for what reason ?

352.13 foot pounds

on a childs arm, leg, face, skull

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

have all the government employees who were shut out of their jobs had their lost income paid back to them yet ?
    can they all sue the government for lost wages ?
    they should.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I’m not sure if they’ve been paid their backpay yet, but they should receive it. But that doesn’t help if those employees received late fees and credit score reductions because they couldn’t pay their bills. And the mental anguish they’ve suffered through the ordeal.

8. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

given that all those employed to act on the budgets knowingly caused preventable financial and personal injury to all those employees & thier dependent children and future earning capacity, i should imagine there is a solid case for a very very big law suit.

meanwhile
    the uber drivers who knowingly under cut taxi drivers putting them out of jobs and making uber rich now want more money and are seeking to cut their pound of rotten flesh from uber and claim it all as "fair-deals"

what a bunch of A-holes

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  9. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

Thanks. Haven't read that one yet, but I generally devour fiction that somehow manages to portray a world even bleaker than this one.

How is it that, with some few exceptions, the only people who anticipated the darker side of all these technological innovations were speculative fiction writers, of the PK Dick/JG Ballard variety?

Apart from a laptop and a kindle, pretty much everything in my world was, or could have been, made prior to the mid-1980s. I tend to say "mid 1980s" because I do occasionally program microcontroller chips for certain functions--it's really hard to make a tap-tempo without a PIC or AVR. Also, I've got cds even though I prefer vinyl. If I could do without chips and cds, I could move that back even a few more decades!

Unless it's blocked in Canada for some reason, you should be able to watch most of John Oliver via his Youtube channel. He's been on fire lately.

Yeah. The idea that "migrant caravans" can pose a huge existential threat sounds like the stuff of a South Park episode. There's gotta be some very deep-rooted fears and prejudices for an idea like that to take hold.

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

The philosophy of Trump, and many Trump supporters, can be summed up as "I got mine, up yours."

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I'll try again when we have extra bandwidth. If we overuse, the end of the month is so slow we can't get any business done. (Even if we don't overuse, Windows dumps unwanted upgrades on all six computers.)

It's part of a bigger, deeper fear that's compounded by suppressed guilt and inadequacy; the whole myth-structure is fatally flawed and they have to bury it under layers and layers of displacement and denial.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  12. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

And they're not that much more expensive, though probably less hardy.
    I have a couple of problems with that. It's a pedestrian crossing - why would a kid be riding that fast?
    Over what expanse of the child, given that the front wheel of the bike hits first,
    and it has to jump the cement parking stop first.
    Odds are, the kid would fall on his ass, rather than hit the post with any part of his body,
    but the part most likely to hit is the helmet.

13. Seattle Valued Senior Member

That's one interpretation of the Book of Trump. Some interpretations have that as "I've got mine, Fake News".

14. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

good question
    age of consent
    ability to accept and navigate adult risks to life.
    ambulance at the top or bottom of the cliff
    fences at the bottom ? etc etc...

15 kilometers per hour would be fairly normal for a child riding a bicycle
    i use to do around 60kmph down hill with no helmet
    pushing it clocked at just over 70kmph downhill as a child

expecting children to live up to higher moral standards of social compliance than adults is a plan to fail
    you see it fail all the time in many countrys

you are projecting your placement of expected conformity on to the child instead of the tool set for purpose as best practice.

a motor cyclist going past hitting that metal T would be gravely injured at an easily avoidable change to make it a 3 to 4 inch tube/pipe instead.

but then you place the judgment back on to the motor cyclist then ask why they are speeding over a school crossing
    and suddenly the pedestrian crossing turns back into a school crossing to fit your change in imputes ?

what am i missing ?

statistically that just doesn't fit .
    however
    if you then place best practice to assert risk
    you then define the head as being most important.
    the tool becomes the child instead.

so protecting the head is more important than protecting the shoulder arm or leg

but then your flipping your reasoning AGAIN !

soo you need to ask yourself
    are you dealing with a need to prevent change ?
    why does that need to prevent change come at an avoidable cost/does it ?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1246435/

statistically, scientifically the front wheel is least likely to hit the T pole 1st because it is the smallest area of risk between the childs shoulders and the handle bars
    thus making a soft tissue impact at higher speed much more likely than a strike with a helmet.

15. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

on a road, not in a pedestrian crossing across a parking lot, where walking speed is normal. It's not a question of morality or conformity, it's practicality. While one kid may sometime - when there are no cars and buses, ride around there like an idiot, most of them, most of the time, are exactly as sedate as the ones in the picture.
    Nothing sudden about id, and no change: there are little kids crossing and a schoolbus unloading.
    Yeah, I hope your motorcyclist hits the pole instead of that little mite in the pink tights. I'm okay with the pole being round; he'd still hurt.
    Not even once. Hey, it's your picture. I'm just speculating.
    You don't like T-posts because they might hurt someone.
    Okay. Round poles are nice. I have no problem with that part -
    only with the hyperbole

16. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

the point is not the pole its self
    the point is about the thinking that encapsulates the process to make valuations on concepts.

the reasoning around the concept of best practice Vs saving money & the consequential injection of moral justification.

it is a process.

when simple logic is applied to evaluate the reasoning process that defines the value in the item, action or practice(or in this case safety of children/elderly/anyone)

the norm practice is 99% of the time outside the ideological formation of rule of best practice.
    best practice defined as a risk minimalisation process
    e.g passing speed & following distance of cars moving past a stopped school bus.

best ideological practice has a specific speed and distance.
    there is moral judgement used to frame that process as a "norm"
    yet most sane people know the speed is exceeded 99.99% of the time
    and
    the following distance is mostly abandoned depending on how annoyed you feel and what you can blame for making you late etc...

this in its self defines a sense of illogical formation of counter democratic process
    the breaches and bad behavior(or more precisely the people not capable of stopping in time) are then allowed to make the majority suffer by enforcing laws that dictate the majority of non incidents, as being culpable to all incidents.

i was musing the direct action of those opposing abortion and contraception.
    their ability to dictate terms to others when they have no accountability to the outcome of their demand.
    they inflict their choice of moral terms when they do not have to pay for the accountable cost.

somewhere, this is related to the action of distance relative to the process of psychopathy involved as a sense of self isolation from reality.
    there i will leave it, for now(knowing i have probably lost all those reading & not wishing to stick my mind too far down that rabbit hole today).

17. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I'm sure that's all true. But round poles for handicapped parking signs would make no significant difference to anything -
    not to child safety, not to speeding on highways, not to birth control, not to the process of public policy formulation.

18. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Okay, so this is totally random, but isn't it weird that we place food into our mouths, and our brain registers if the food is delicious or not?

This is an interesting read because it shows the pairing of our brains, to our diets. I subscribe to a pretty healthy diet, and if I indulge in something sweet now and again, my brain ''misses'' the nutritional meals, in response. Sometimes, not all the time.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/nutritional-psychiatry-your-brain-on-food-201511168626

19. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Taste-buds and food recognition become adapted to one's diet. If you grew up on fish&chips wrapped in newspaper, a Brussel sprout and raisin salad is going to taste weird. "Hey, there's no rancid oil in here!" your brain will yell at your tongue. Until you get used to it.
    Originally, taste evolved to distinguish harmful foods from nutritious ones. We enjoyed sweetness because fruit and honey are sources of readily-accessible calories for quick action; roots and grains for the starch (complex carbohydrate for gradual release) meat and fats, because they were good for protein (muscle building) and calorie storage (for hard times), salt, because we need electrolytes for nerve and muscle function, etc.
    Humans have elaborated on flavouring food, in isolating and concentrating the components of food, recombining ingredients that don't normally occur together - so that our sense of taste is as messed-up as our social interaction.
    It can be sorted out, simplified and retrained - if you have a good enough reason to make the effort. Building a more functional brain might be such a reason.

wegs likes this.
  20. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I eat organic foods, low carb/high protein/fresh raw foods, and when I eat sugary/processed foods for example, I may get a headache, because I'm not used to it. Yet, my taste buds register an ecstasy type of feeling. lol It's not fair.

21. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

It's a cheap buzz, don't knock it. Organic marijuana is way more expensive than ice-cream full of cooky crumbs, candy pieces, lumps of peanut butter, chunks of nut, chocolate and cheesecake, with a slice of bacon on top.
    I can't help being in awe of how many kinds of junk they can shove into one junk-food. Pretty soon, it will just be "dessert" - all of them, in one bowl.

wegs likes this.
  22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

lmao so true!

Mmmm, bacon and chocolate. For some reason, that really blends well together.

23. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Like ham and pineapple, roast pork and apple-sauce. Pigs have sweet flesh.
    which doesn't mean they're happy to give it to us

sideshowbob likes this.