Do You Believe In Evolution?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by will_ebert, Jun 23, 2002.

?

Who here believes in evolution?

1. The Universe Was Created By God, No Less Than 10,000 Years Ago

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Evolution Is True, But It Was Controlled By God. The Universe Is Billions Of Years Old

35 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. There Is No God. Evolution Is True. The Universe Is Billions Of Years Old

104 vote(s)
    71.2%
  1. valich Registered Senior Member

By the exact same reasoning, how could you or anyone else know that there is a god? Or Santa Clausa? Or a munchkin? Or the tooth fairy? I was taught they they all existed? No difference.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Did I ever say that?
    Ha!
    I'm not at all surprised that you don't understand the scientific method.

And at what point does this theory became proved?
    It never does, Valich.
    It always awaits just one more experiment that can topple straight the fuck over.

Ever heard of the problem of induction?
    Ever read any Popper? Or Deutsch?

Someone with five degrees should understand the nature of science, Valich. You've just shown that you don't. (Of course, nobody believes you have one degree let alone five. Maybe underwater basket weaving.)

Edit:
    Muaha!
    Seriously.
    I'm getting some really good laughs out of this.
    You don't realize just how much of an idiot you've again shown yourself to be.
    Scientific method.
    You're such a tool.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. valich Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

postive controls? Negative controls?

common regularity is not discovered by experiment. It is an observation. You test the observation by means of experiment. If possible.

The 'truth' doesn't exist. It is constantly changing.

8. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Oh. Yes. I've resorted to *gasp* vulgarity. Thus you don't have to actually respond to anything I've said. Let alone *gasp* read it.

Earth to douche bag.
    I didn't say that the scientific method is invalid. I said that the scientific method doesn't 'prove' anything.
    You stupid fucking ass.
    Did you read the links?
    OF course not. I've resorted to vulgarity.
    You're such a fucking buffoon, Valich.

"One time I looked at my asshole in the mirror. It blew my fucking mind!"

And. We all know you're lying about your 'lab' and all that shit. You are far too ignorant to be allowed anywhere near a laboratory. Maybe as a janitor, but I bet you'd try fucking with shit and would get fired for blowing something up.

And. Again.
    And. Again,.
    And AGAIN.
    VULGARITY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SCIENCE OR THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD. A SCIENTIST CAN BE VULGAR WITHOUT INVALIDATING HIS RESEARCH.

You fucking pussy.
    I'm so done with you.

Suffice it to say that you've seriously shown how ignorant you are with your failure to understand the scientific method and the validation of knowledge.
    Bye.

9. mountainhare Banned Banned

It's amazing how such simple concepts can confuse some people, isn't it? As in science is not about absolutes. Science operates on a probabilistic scale. The more evidence we gather in favour of a theory, the more sure we can be that it is correct. However, we can never say for sure that tomorrow a new piece of evidence will be produced that will invalidate/modify the theory.

Proof is for mathematics and alcohol...

Science is a search for the most reasonable explaination.

10. protostar Registered Senior Member

Scientists are practicing anyway. I think the truth is, we are all connected by the light of our souls. We are of the "one" whatever/whomever that may be. Its more spiritual than religous. Naturally we evolved and grew and are still evolving and growing. We all have one thing in common. We are all made up of electrons,neutrons and protons, 6 of each to make us. Humans.
    heh. #666 ironic isn't it? anyhoo, maybe we'll all evolve to read each others minds! Then I won't have to ask him to hand me the "clicker" hehe

11. valich Registered Senior Member

GET A LIFE!!!

12. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

GET A LIFE!!!!

So. Have you looked into the scientific method and the justification of knowledge yet? If you have, I already know you won't acknowledge your mistake.

13. valich Registered Senior Member

i"ve explained to you the details of the scientific method numerous times yet even yesterday you just denied the validity of it. What are you talking about?

14. mountainhare Banned Banned

valich:
    Nexus doesn't need me to speak in his defense, but I am stunned by how you continue to distort what Nexus is saying. NEXUS DID NOT DENY THE VALIDITY OF THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD!!!

He claimed that the scientific method was incapable of proving anything, and he is correct. Proof is for mathematics and alcohol, theology and logic. Science is about amassing evidence, forming hypothesis, analysing data, performing experiments, making inferences from the evidence and experiments, and then finding the most reasonable explaination which explains the evidence and the results of your experiments.

15. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

And Vallich, will you stop already with the simplistic, to the point of being wrong, hypothethis --> theory ---> law sequence. We've pointed out the error of this several times, but once again you refuse to listen, your little weasel head hid so far up your anus you must have a detailed understanding of your own anatomy.
    People who behave as you do make me seriously question whether internet search engines are such a good idea after all.

16. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

WHY DOESN'T SOMEBODY MAKE A RIGGED POLL SOMETIME?

How about: "God made the universe AND it is very old"?

If evolution is true, WHY ARE ALL THE MISSING LINKS STILL MISSING?

And why can all the bones that prove ( ! ) human evolution be placed on a pool table with plenty of room to spare?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  17. protostar Registered Senior Member

How about this:

Know in self, first this: Thou art body, mind and soul, a three-dimensional individual in a three-dimensional consciousness. Hence ye find the Godhead, to a consciousness of an individual in the earth plane, is three dimensions: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Each are individual, and yet they are one. So with the body-consciousness: the body, the mind and the soul. Each have their attributes, each have their limitations, save the soul. Nothing may separate the soul from its source save the will of self.

ancient text. We are all connected together and connected to the one.
    this is a profound part of evolution.

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Because missing links are regularly found.

19. stupidgirl Registered Member

Yeah, didn't you know? All the evidence on earth that points toward evolution being true was put here so God could trick the unfaithful into going to Hell. Personally, I think its because the only smart guy in Heaven was Lucifer, and look what happened there! So its not really about faith. God just doesn't want any smart people in Heaven.

hehehe

I guess I'll be burning in Hell then... along with the greatest geniuses in human history and the missing links too.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Sounds like a party to me!

20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You're not stupid, girl.

21. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

It's discomforting to see people talking about <i>believing</i> in evolution or the scientific method, since these are conceptual tools rather than idols.

22. stupidgirl Registered Member

Yes, just like God is.

Now if only more people understood all of that. Everyone seems to need to be absolute in their beliefs. What is wrong with having a sound theory but not being sure? There are so many things we refuse to see, and so many things beyond that which we actually can't see. How dare we insist on stating so many things as fact and make the arrogant asumption that we really know what is going on, the rest be damned?

A recent CBS News poll came up with some disturbing results. (has anyone posted this yet? Sorry if you've seen it.)

When asked, "Which of the following statements comes closest to your views on the origin of human beings?
    (1) Human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years, and God did not directly guide this process.
    (2) Human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years, but God guided this process.
    (3) God created human beings in their present form."

51% said God created human beings in their present form. 30% said guided by God. 12% said not directly guided by God.

When asked, "Which of the following statements comes closest to your views on the origin of human beings?
    (1) Human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years, and God did not directly guide this process.
    (2) Human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years, but God guided this process.
    (3) God created human beings in their present form within the last ten thousand years."

Guess what? A vast majority of 48% chose #3. God created humans in this form in the last 10,000 years!

I suppose I shouldn't have been shocked, but I was. Its disheartening to me how primative we still are.

23. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

?

Consider the amount of time humans have dwelled on the planet in terms of the history of the earth..

Really it's pretty advanced IMO. Certainly the details of the typical beleif are easily seen as BS from a position of scrutiny, but consider the discipline and order provided by such concepts. I think Thomas Jefferson was an agnostic who believed as I think is wise, something like "without god, the masses have no conscience" (very poorly paraphrased). I think god, however stupid at face value - is a very powerful, sophisticated meme that has done more good for humanity than bad. There is certainly plenty of either to go around, but I'm looking at it in terms of sheer survival and ability to flourish. Check out Good God if you're interested.

(and welcome to the fray BTW

)