Do you hate that languages have many dialects?

Discussion in 'Linguistics' started by Lori_7, May 16, 2010.

?

Do you?

1. yes

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. no

14 vote(s)
    93.3%
  1. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i don't. i think dialects are cool. i like diversity...gives language a little personality.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. I do. I wish every language just had one dialect.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

I have no problem with Jamaican English even though it can be a little difficult for me to understand.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

an ultimate merging of culture is dismal, and any step in that direction is dismal

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Russell Crowe's English accent in the new film Robin Hood is amusing us at the moment.
    It is supposed to be a Midlands accent, but it is not one we've heard here before.
    Mr Crowe thinks it is perfect, and gets very angry if anyone comments on it.

Re dialects. Aren't dialects the seed for new languages?
    Has anyone heard of Panglish?

9. coolplay Registered Member

Absolutly not that what's make the difference of a person, a community, a race, a country ...
    I personaly live in Belgium (small country of +/- 10.000.000 and we have allready 3 Major languages : French, Dutch, German and all 3 of them are decliend into at least 5 to 10 different dialects depending of the region ... someone who speaks dutch on the Belgian coast will not specialy understand someone speaking a dutch dialect 200 miles away from them !

surprising isn't ?

10. betterlife translator Registered Senior Member

So do I.

11. Darkie Registered Senior Member

Dialects are cool. They are the source for new languages.

Sometimes the diversities within one single language are quite surprising - how come there are about fifty various dialects of Slovenian in such a tiny country as Slovenia, whereas in such a huge country as Russia there are only two major spoken dialects of Russian and they are completely mutually intelligible?

12. Shogun Bleed White and Blue! Valued Senior Member

There are a lot of different dialects of Japanese, I am learning the Tokyo dialect which is the office one for Japan. However, I like listening to other dialects, they are pretty cool.

13. Ja'far at-Tahir Grand Ayatollah of SciForums Registered Senior Member

They are frustrating but no, of course not.