Do you know to play any musical instrument ??

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by bob-bobby, Jul 20, 2005.

1. chunkylover58 Make it a ... CHEEEESEburger Registered Senior Member

Piano/keyboard since I was about 4 years old (I'm 34 now)
    Guitar (since I was about 13)
    Harmonica/blues harp
    Some percussion

Mostly play blues, jazz, freeform improv and self compositions.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, it would be my advise that you give up that dream at your first opportunity! Playing in a band usually means working at a job/career all day to make enough money so that you can play in the band during the evening hours ....and playing to people who really don't listen and a good jukebox would serve just as well.

Check out other bands in the area, talk to them, ask them about their dreams of making it big. Then check out the rate of those bands making it big. It's sorta' like little kids wanting to be pro football players .....how many of those kids actually make it to the top of the heap? Odds ain't good, are they?

Hey, think about it .....how come there's only a few OLD bands in the world? And if that's true, what happened to those bands when they were younger?

Go to college, learn as much as possible so you can earn enough money to LATER play in a band for your own enjoyment and pleasure. Don't do it the other way around or you'll be on welfare most of your life.

Baron Max

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Beryl WWAD What Would Athelwulf Do? Registered Senior Member

Nah, I don't want to go to college... I want to be a novelist. As for the band thing, I don't have any dreams of making it big, I'd just like to have the experience of being part of a band. Really just being part of a small jamming group would have the same effect. But either is something I could do while writing, so I'm not concerned.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

With only one instrument, as a concert I bet it sucks.

8. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

Closet: Can you slap?

A buddy of mine strongly recommended that I learn, saying that it will make me much better at the instrument in all aspects and I have to agree with him. Last summer I bought a few books on slap/funk studies and practiced nearly every day and I got pretty good. It made my timekeeping much more accurate.

Best advice I have is to not stop. Play consistently. I find most skills are (at least for me) similar to weightlifting. You don't get good/strong/dexterous doing it. You get feed yourself stimulation and then rest and recuperate. Then you come back, play and find out how much work your brain has done since last time you practiced. Practice regularly.

Slap sounds so cool. Especially when played by someone with good chops and good muting skills.

9. phoenix2634 Registered Senior Member

I play tuba, bass trombone, tenor trombone and baritone. Played tuba at an amusement park for a few years, was crazy enough to want to carry and play (the guy hired to play quit with two weeks left) bass drum for two weeks during one season.
    Some day I'd like to learn to actually play bass, since tubas aren't used much in jazz bands, and I'd rather play bass than trombone in a band.

10. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

No, I can't, but this one girl the I know at the Kentucky Opera program can play a piano beautifully, just flat-out perfectly.

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Electric bass. 30 years on and off. Before that, 12-string guitar.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Piano to a better-than-average standard. Used to play clarinet when I was at school, but don't own one now. Wouldn't mind picking up the sax at some stage. Sing a bit, too.

13. Dilbert Registered Senior Member

Guitar, Bass and Piano.

14. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

I've been playing the guitar for about a year and 3 months. My brother plays the bass so sometimes I start to play it.

15. Rick Valued Senior Member

Electric Guitar...(know how to play stairway to heaven completely, nothing else sounds good though

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)...