Do you like the new forum design? (poll)

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Syzygys, Jul 13, 2012.

?

Do you like the new design?

Poll closed Aug 2, 2012.
  1. I like it

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. I hate it

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. I don't care either way

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Just a feedback for the Overlords...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

I was used to the old way but things change everyday. This forum hasn't changed much for awhile so I guess it was about time to change things up. It is just that we get used to the old ways and they were comfortable to use so it is just going to take awhile to get adapted to this "upgrade".

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. twr Registered Senior Member

Buddha, change is inevitable, but this is something the admins have veritable control over. If the other site wasn't broken (which it wasn't) there's no need for us to switch to this new layout which is (arguably) more difficult to look at/interact with.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Balerion Banned Banned

I'm warming to it. The forum really flies, and there doesn't seem to be any hiccups. Edits don't stall out on me anymore (dunno if that was an issue for others, but it was for me). The performance overall is great.

Did the font change? I can't even tell anymore. I do miss the look of the old site, but I'm getting used to this.

8. Gremmie "Happiness is a warm gun" Valued Senior Member

I frequent several sites...

I've always kinda liked this one, because it had a look and feel, unlike the others.

Now, it's just like the others...*sigh*

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Reddit hasn't changed since it started, which was 2005 I think. Another specific message board where I post also hasn't changed much since 1999, and the owner's motto is, if it ain't broke....

What we write and post what makes the site, not the fancy design...

Anyhow, after 7 votes, nobody really prefers the new design over the old one...

10. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

Its just HARDER than ever to post from a phone. It just sucks I am still, I mean was still figuring out all the ins an outs of the other "design" an now this crummy design. An I don't care for all the names on the side. I liked them where they were. Oh an there was more color here before. I'm trying hard to work with this change. But I also feel some will leave an some won't join because of it. I also don't like having "my page" changed. An the reply button moved right. An not underneath.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'll zip it... For now (like 2 seconds)
    Wow that was a long 2 seconds.

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

This is only the beginning

I would only remind that what we are seeing is the first round of the update. No, I do not know what else is slated, or what the schedule is. However, what we're seeing appears to be a very basic installation.

The primary upshot of the upgrade has to do with function, not appearance. But insofar as aesthetics go, I would suggest there are all manner of options for the owners to play with. If people are a little bit patient, and, well, civilized—that is, be constructive instead of just cursing and denouncing the changes—I'm sure the bosses will appreciate the input.

And don't get me wrong; I'm not about to jump for joy about the aesthetics. But neither am I going to fret. Give them time to make sure everything is running smoothly from their end; let them fix some of the bigger technical issues (e.g., I haven't tried the search engine today, but yesterday it was useless); they'll get to the small things when they can.

Meanwhile, can folks please lighten up a bit on the disapproval? You have my sympathy, for instance, as I, too, have a wish list for the aesthetics at least. But I don't see how it will help to get all worked up about it. The best way to change things for the better—especially in this case—is to be constructive. You know ... helpful?

Please?

12. NightFall Lazy Hedonist Valued Senior Member

some areas that had been left a bit chaotic since the last time sf reinvented its self seem to be a little cleaner. I was never a fan of the previous solution for following other's posts or using the search function... actually I found the last version pretty darn frustrating a lot of the time. So, one vote for 'like' from me because the new layout makes it much easier for me to stalk the rest of you.

13. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Hey, I made a nice poll for the owners, because themselves they didn't think of user's feedback. Actually, a survey for change would have been even nicer, BEFORE the changes were implemented...

14. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Dislike.

Wasted space on left of page under username and picture is my mAin gripe.

15. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

It's prettier, overall, but perhaps a little confusing in the reply buttons and menu. Makes no difference to me, since i didn't understand half the functions anyway.
    What will matter - and i'm going to test it now - is the edit.

Hmmm ... I'm not applying for a job, fcs; just trying to edit a quick reply. No tools for the original; everything for the edit.

Not the second time. Odd. There must be a reason. Must there?

The speed, however, is amazing! I used to play three hands of solitaire, waiting to fix a typo. This is much better.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  16. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

we should line those who voted "i hate it" and shoot them in the head, can't remember something more refreshing on sciforums since i discovered the encyclopedia or the picture thread..

but i guess like the other two, we'll get bored of it with time, so lets enjoy it while it lasts.

17. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

uh, maybe we shouldn't shoot them yet. first thing i do when i open sciforums is search my posts, either from my CP or by manually searching my name and showing posts, blue one means active discussion or new posts black means no new posts, now i can't even do that.

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Today was the first day that I finally wasn't bothered by the new look. So that was what, 3-4 days to get used to it?

By the way, wth is the encyclopedia and how do I use it??? I took a look but it looks like it is only searchable, so I can't just browse it or randomly jump into it...
    And why do we need it when there is a Wikipedia???

19. rcscwc Registered Senior Member

Hmm. I find that SEARCH is disabled. You always get ZERO results.

20. skaught The field its covered in blood Valued Senior Member

I hate it. Put it back how it was please!

21. Balerion Banned Banned

We all have our moments...

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  22. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

it's our own personal version of uncyclopedia, just much cooler. although i think you were here longer than me, strange you didn't take a dip in it yet.

23. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Its classy.