Do you support Mr. Kavanaugh or Dr. Ford?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Xelor, Sep 21, 2018.

?

Should Brett Kavanaugh be confirmed by the Senate?

Poll closed Sep 21, 2019.
  1. Yes, and I'm a Democrat

4.5%
  2. No, and I'm a Democrat

18.2%
  3. Yes, and I'm a Republican

9.1%
  4. No, and I'm a Republican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yes, and I'm neither Democrat nor Republican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No, and I'm neither Democrat nor Republican

54.5%
  7. I don't want to respond to the poll. Just show me the results.

13.6%
  1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If it lacks credibility, it just does. The power of the court is that people respect it. How much partisan abuse can an institution stand? I'm just hoping for some checks and balances and long live RBG.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CptBork Valued Senior Member

So now that your boy's in office, suddenly the country you previously accused of being run by a corrupted cabal has instead become a country worth protecting, and whose institutions deserve the peoples' faith and support?

pjdude1219 likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Well, conservatives are giving it their best shot.

pjdude1219 and spidergoat like this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Capracus Valued Senior Member

Brett Kavanaugh was proven innocent.

God bless the kangaroo court that made this possible.

8. Xelor Registered Senior Member

That outburst of his suggests that he may well have been doing that.

9. Xelor Registered Senior Member

There is no requirement that a SCOTUS justice be a member of the bar or licensed to practice law. Such a move, though highly symbolic, would have about as much practical value as tits on bulls.

sculptor likes this.
  10. billvon Valued Senior Member

Maybe, but probably not.
    Given that there have been identical twins where one ended up straight and one ended up gay, there's plenty of evidence that preferences depend on something other than genetics.
    Again, I am laughing at the idea of you telling a lesbian woman she is really straight because of your "quantifiable reality." It would be fun to watch.

11. iceaura Valued Senior Member

? You posted a finding of correlations. They have wide variance and large error bars, but they are still robust and interesting correlations. Obviously if some mechanism lies behind them, that mechanism would be a significant discovery, but so far no such mechanism has been described. We look forward to further research and new discoveries, all motivated and framed by evolutionary theory of course.

One very interesting implication of this research - as the authors note- is that because these specific genes common to voles and people apparently influence mating behavior in voles somehow, they might also influence mating behavior in humans in some unknown way (maybe even the same way, it's possible). We look forward to further research into that interesting possibility as well.

12. iceaura Valued Senior Member

To elaborate:
    Kavanaugh himself has never represented any client in any court as a lawyer, or any nonpartisan nonpolitical organization as legal counsel. W appointed him to the Federal bench directly from his career of employment as a partisan Republican legal adviser to partisan Republican political operations.
    - - -
    In general:
    That kind of judicial appointment (or election!) is more common in the US than is commonly realized, especially in recent years by Republican electorates and Republican governing authorities: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/when-your-judge-isnt-a-lawyer/515568/
    As noted above, people without law degrees have in the past been seated on the Supreme Court.
    http://www.answers.com/Q/Which_Supreme_Court_justices_did_not_have_a_law_degree

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  13. Bells Staff Member

What the hell is wrong with you, dude?

James R and cluelusshusbund like this.
  14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

His waifu↗ doesn't have a clit.

15. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Gift ideas??

16. Bells Staff Member

It shouldn't be funny, but sadly, it is.

I had been trying to figure out who he reminded me of. As in, who else spouts this level of crazy bullshit:

And then it came to me.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

What on earth is the relevance of the genetics or behavioural underpinnings of sexual orientation to a thread about the Kavanaugh confirmation?

It's like somebody is just fixated on sexual imagery or something. Otherkin? Seriously? WTF?

Please get a grip and keep your sexual obsessions out of threads about senate confirmation hearings.

18. Xelor Registered Senior Member

No two ways about it...the above is a true statement. That said, it's a difference with little to no distinction, for being a lawyer without having a law degree merely indicates one read for the bar (learned the law via an apprenticeship process) instead of going to law school.