Do you support Mr. Kavanaugh or Dr. Ford?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Xelor, Sep 21, 2018.

?

Should Brett Kavanaugh be confirmed by the Senate?

Poll closed Sep 21, 2019.
  1. Yes, and I'm a Democrat

4.5%
  2. No, and I'm a Democrat

18.2%
  3. Yes, and I'm a Republican

9.1%
  4. No, and I'm a Republican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yes, and I'm neither Democrat nor Republican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No, and I'm neither Democrat nor Republican

54.5%
  7. I don't want to respond to the poll. Just show me the results.

13.6%
  1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Those who vote for their representative. Blame no one but those who cast their ballot.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

and if there is no one on the ballot that does not have a penis ?
    is the system controlled by (penis)gender ?
    if you have 50% of the population being actively discriminated against by non representation ... ?

the voter turn out was roughly ? 40% ?

a good pysical real example of bias is the funding given to business by the government.
    tax rebates and incentives etc.

what is the political term for this when places in universities and such like are assigned to a minority because they are percieved as discriminated against ?

why is gender different in power structures ?

laws about funding for control over womens reproductive health care are made by men.
    can those forced to pay tax simply choose a women to represent them instead ? = no

Gender stereo types in society based around reproductive process are sybolised as a female dominated power structure for controlling small children, teachers nurses etc... the "care" element of control dominated by women but the over all power is held exclusively by men.

why is it that there is a group of men declaring they are the only ones allowed to make all the descisions ?
    are women actively discriminated against from becoming the leaders of those organisations which hold the power ?

the real debate is quite large and a cultural issue
    why give a company an incentive to start up and not give women an incentive to be a manager of womens reporductive health care funding ?
    is the funding of womens reproductive health care viewed by societys authority as a charity case ?

charity is ok for a busines but not ok for womens reporductive health care...

how does this morality reflect through systems of authority and societys norms ?
    can women vote for a woman to be the one who makes the laws over womens reporductive health care ? why not ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Men. Don't forget, any candidate needs the full support of their party or they fizzle out.
    And if the party only selects and financially backs men, only men will be successful, regardless how many others are running.

Actually I would say that women have done well in the last few decades and are just now beginning to break through the glass ceiling.
    Is it not interesting that the US has never had a female president, unlike many European countries.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Question: I understand that a Supreme Court Justice cannot be removed except by impeachment, but has anyone ever suggested taking away a judge's license to practice law by the American Bar Association?
    Nobody gets fired, they just are no longer allowed to practice law altogether....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Does the Bar Association have a rating of "Not qualified" (for conduct unbecoming)?

8. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Or fail to.
    Or shirk the task of selecting candidates.

9. iceaura Valued Senior Member

A judge doesn't need one.
    Especially a Supreme Court judge. There have been nonlawyers on the Supreme Court - expertise in the details of statutary law is not really involved at that level, and no lawyer could be well versed in the variety of different legal areas involved anyway.
    Kavanaugh has never tried a case as a lawyer.

10. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

im fairly sure that 1st world "Bar's" have codes of conduct.
    if the code of conduct is broken, then the Bar will rule or choose to not rule.
    the ruling can result in the Bar choosing a outcome.

just because a member breaks a rule, does not mean the Bar must follow a specific single path.
    in some circumstances i have seen published annoucements where the Bar has not acted immediately because the member is not practicing so in the instance of a removal of license/membership to the Bar it is the public message and over all Protection of the code and the publics' best wishes in conjunction with the will of the law that is put 1st once various victims have been able to dischanrge their requirements and compensations etc...
    Thus the Bar have the ability to define the Will of th eLaw to be breached in spite of no actual membership code breach.

though, some countrys allow legal challenge to such descisions.

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

For me, the most damning thing is the fact that Ford reported it to her therapist many years ago - long before a Supreme Court seat was a gleam in Kavanaugh's eye.

To suppose she's making this up to confound him requires that she be able to foretell the future.

12. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

If they were allowed to cast a ballot. If Republicans didn't eliminate their polling place and hours. If Republicans didn't rig the system through partisan gerrymandering.

13. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

thats how they won the election.
    because the southern states were gerrymandered to give them a minority leadership.

35 million californians chose democrat, but thats only worth 1 apple cart, while southern states of 5 million get given 1 apple cart each.
    its hardly democratic.
    its facist oligarchy handing power to a small group to maintain power over the majority with a minority.
    they should do the same with business and personal tax.
    make the southern states pay equally to their representation instead of standing with their hand out to californians asking for charity all the time.

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Kavanaugh lied, under oath, to the Senate Judiciary Committee. He should not be confirmed to the Supreme Court.
    If Ford invented the whole thing, then she should not be confirmed to the Supreme Court either.

15. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

16. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

17. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

18. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

In the United States, women are nothing but chattel. From a president who didn't win the popular vote and had no right to pick a nominee for supreme court...

And this coming from an old old who can't have children anymore:

1. On why she voting for Kavanaugh: "Despite the turbulent, bitter fight surrounding his nomination, my fervent hope is that Brett Kavanaugh will work to lessen the divisions in the Supreme Court so that we have far fewer 5-4 decisions and so that public confidence in our judiciary and our highest court is restored.
    https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/kavanaugh-fbi-investigation-oct-18/index.html

I'm glad I don't live in America. A man with allegations of sexual assault, and who doesn't support a women's right to choose, is set for the supreme court. Is that the gamble? You want America as a regressive shithole for as long as he's a a justice?

Wouldn't surprise me if Trump is going to try and have sex with every women he can so long as they have to bear children; I'm sure he'll figure out a way so he doesn't have to support them.

19. billvon Valued Senior Member

Exactly. She doesn't want 5-4 decisions that divide America and destroy faith in the Judiciary. She wants 4-5 decisions that divide America and destroy faith in the judiciary. What's important is that her side wins.

pjdude1219 likes this.
  20. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

judging by the poll results joe manchin posts here

21. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

its not a legal oath.
    it means nothing.
    like children playing dress up dressed in mumys heels & daddys over sized suit jacket.

22. Bells Staff Member

Then, when Democrats regain control, impeach him and remove him.

There will be clear evidence that he lied under oath. Which can be grounds for impeachment. Will the Democrats stick to their guns though, and go through with it? Or will they let this fly and it will all look like a partisan exercise?

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That's a trial, not a job interview. He'd probably have to screw up on the job for that - which he may, as his extremely partisan responses during the hearing will likely attract a lot of pressure to recuse himself in any partisan matters that come before the Court. Failure to recuse himself when formally and publicly required to do so would be grounds for impeachment.

The Dems would have to get actual, solid control of both Houses of Congress, minimum. There are a couple of impeachments in line ahead of Kavanaugh's, if that happens.

It will never "look like" a Democratic partisan exercise except in the Republican dominated media, and it will always be presented as a Democratic partisan exercise there regardless of followup, so that's not a useful decision criterion.