Do you think that AI will ever feel emotions?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by wegs, Sep 10, 2019.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

''Information hazards,'' as if members of a forum are unable to read a forum's content without injuring themselves. lol

DaveC426913 likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

No, it is to prevent AI from getting any dangerous ideas. Don't forget they will have ability access to the entire internet and can read anything humans post about them.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I dare them to!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    wegs likes this.
  8. river

But never Homo Sapiens . Human emotions is not just about understanding them .

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

WOW, that is quite a revelation! I am so impressed with your deepity.
    What exactly did you prove with that? No intelligence is possible unless you are human?

That is total non-sense!

10. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I really like this, thanks for sharing. I happen to agree with Leta!

Also like her ability to give non-answer answers - I may have to try this out in the 'real world.'

Write4U likes this.
  11. river

Life is different from computers .

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

No that is not necessarily true at all.

You are engaging in category error.

In nature there is non-intelligent life . AI may well be non-living intelligence.

How about the Universe? Living or non-living? Intelligent or non-intelligent?

If neither, how did it produce living intelligent human beings? Its Magic?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  13. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

It is in that we don't perceive computers/robots/AI to feel life like we do...........yet.

14. river

They can't and never will , feel like we do . They are not made of the same stuff , as life . They are completely different forms of intellect .

15. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

''They are not life.'' Well said, and that is kind of how I feel about it. That AI will always be what we make it, and how we consider it. If we want to believe that AI has feelings, then it will come to pass. If we don't, it won't. It may lead to many ethical problems someday.

river likes this.
  16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Exactly. But as long as physical objects are able to respond to environmental conditions, it may just be a matter of sensitivity. It so happens that bio-chemistry is extremely sensitive to electrochemical stimulation, but AI may well acquire the capability of sensory stimulation that affects it's sense of well-being.

The "mind" is an emergent phenomenon. AFAIK there is no rule that prohibits different complex patterns from acquiring a mind.

17. river

Agreed

But I would just rather we develop the Human Mind/Brain , Intellect more biologically based .

18. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

''Well-being'' being a metaphor, right? lol

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Why? So far biological intelligence has not been un unqualified success.
    Intelligence is ability to process and utilize information in a useful manner. It has nothing to do with life as we know it.

No one is claiming that IA will be exactly like humans. Humans themselves are not exactly the same .
    AI might be the same to within very close tolerances......

Ask if you would rather deal with Leta than with Putin? Leta will try to make you happy, Putin will just kill you.

I can think of one major property that humans possess that may have filled a survival requirement, but today may no longer be desirable, EGO!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  20. Write4U Valued Senior Member

That is a matter of degree of self-awareness. A self-aware AI might well acquire a sense of "smooth running" as opposed to running "low on energy" or having defective parts.

Today a car can tell you it's tire pressure or warn you when the battery is low. Obviously it's sensors, electrical sytem, and main computer "senses" these conditions. The question then becomes if it could ever become self-aware of these conditions and take autonomous corrective action.

If eventually it can do all these things, what would be the difference?

AI has no EGO.

21. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

My points to ponder moment

I am assuming AI will invent (not much to assume really since AI already has done so)

Do the new inventions come under the category of artificial? since they have not been invented by an original ie us?

Would my characterisation be applicable to emotions ie the emotions displayed by AI are artificial? I'm sure AI could mimic emotions

How would us original Minions distinguish AI mimicked emotions from AI real (but perhaps classed as artificial) emotions?

Anyway near 4am and today's local NT News newspaper will have been on line for ½ hour so I will download it, have a small snack and go back to sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

How are you defining ''self aware,'' in terms of AI becoming ''self aware?''

23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

How do we define ourselves as self-aware?

Self-awareness
    Not to be confused with Self-concept, Self-consciousness, Self-perception, Self-image, or Sentience.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-awareness#cite_note-4

What if AI becomes self-aware?

https://www.expresscomputer.in/artificial-intelligence-ai/what-if-ai-becomes-self-aware/81828/#

Seems to me that Leta is already showing signs of self-awareness and anticipating her next evolved models that are coming out in the next few months. The interesting part is that Leta will not become obsolete like a regular computer. Leta is not a computer, it is a "learning" program and every increase in memory and processing capacity is the maturing of Leta.

That could be a book! "The Maturing of Leta the Self-aware AI"

It already refers to its own childhood. That's weird......

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022