Do you think that AI will ever feel emotions?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by wegs, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Not really. I cited insects as being a very successful non-emotional bio-organism as compared to humans having demonstrable emotions. Where does the difference occur?
    If you are visualizing some mechanical "arrangement" producing the ability to feel emotion, you are on the wrong path, IMO.

I introduced insects and more advanced species as an evolutionary ladder toward the ability to experience emotions in living organisms. Lets look at the differences between insects and humans to see what humans have which allows us to experience emotion. Once we know how "emotion" is generated in biological organisms, we can look at ways to build this into AI.

AFAIK, there is no machine which displays true emotional (chemical) responses. Look at mechanical arrangements in machines all you want. That's not where you are going to find the secret of emotion.

Before you can artificially imitate life functions, you better understand what it is and how it functions in organisms which DO posses these life functions.

We cannot magically invent our way out of these physically reactive biological functions. We need nature to teach us!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

After looking at this again from a different perspective. Yes, life has a common origin, therefore emotion has a common origin and a common purpose.

We better start looking at stuff that has a common origin to see where in the evolutionary stage emotional experiences become advantageous to survival, don't you think?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I got that the first time you stated it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Do you believe it was a valid observation?

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I take an expert's observation seriously. Anil Seth put this in very simple terms;
    "you don't need to be intelligent to feel emotion, but you probably do have to be alive"

That's one meaningful vote for studying living things to find out about emotions.

Less meaningful is my concurrence........

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

The definition of "artificial" is "made or produced by human beings rather than occurring naturally." It is the opposite of natural.

10. billvon Valued Senior Member

Sounds like you don't get it. Those things are not artificial.

11. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Yes. I also said, at the very beginning, that I'm inclined to agree ---
    but have no logical or scientific basis for that gut feeling.
    As it turned out, neither did you, but you led me a merry chase all around the mulberry bushes of what-all has worked in nature in the past, rather than demonstrate any valid reason why something different can't work in the future.
    Nor does he. We're all just guessing.

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I understand the difference. My position is that no matter what humans can design it has to obey natural laws.

Hence, nothing magical......

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

You mean that "artificial" only applies to humans?

Would you say this is an artifact or a natural object?
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/oldest-known-stone-tools-unearthed-kenya-180955341/[/quote]

A nest is a fabricated artifact, a web is a fabricated artifact, a house is a fabricated artifact.
    A termite hill is a fabricated artifact which is meticulously maintained by its inhabitants.
    Honey combs are artifacts, manufactured for a very specific purpose.

Natura Artis Magistra!

14. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Insistence as proof.

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I provided proof of an artifact which was not made by a human but a precursor, 3.3 million years ago.

I know the term artifact pertains to human constructs and often identify jewelry or illustrations. But that does not mean humans are the only species that use or fashion "tools" for their convenience.

So we're dealing with semantics more than anything. There are animals which use tools and trinkets for specific purposes, therefore these tools are that animal's artifacts.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2017/03/animal-tools/

and watch the theft of valuables by rival males.

Notice how older adults will ruin the early attempts by young birds.

And this Master builder....

I would give this builder a degree in architecture.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's my understanding that emotions are the most primitive form of thought. It's possible insects feel nothing but emotion.

17. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

It would be kind of cool to see “me,” but an AI version of me. My emotions at times, have caused me to make bad decisions. What would an emotion-less AI version of me be like?

Or would it be me at all? Do our emotions define us more than we think?

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Interesting! Is a brain even required to feel emotion?
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/i-ll-bee-there-for-you-do-insects-feel-emotions/

By jove, you may be right. It seems entirely plausible that emotions are the most primitive form of chemical autoresponse activity.

I have seen some angry bees in my life. Nothing to trifle with. Don't poke their hive, not smart......

19. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Which has nothing to do with artificial intelligence.
    I'm perfectly well aware that other intelligences besides the human one build things and use tools.
    Yes, those things are artificial. And they remain irrelevant.
    The fact that all the life-forms on this planet have a common origin and developed similar ways of coping with their envornments has no bearing on the subject of the thread.
    Yes, the way evolution happened on Earth did produce awareness, emotion and reason.

That does not mean that it's the only possible path to awareness, emotion and reason.

20. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I don't think you can replicate a specific human being (or dolphin or horse). Personality is too complex for that: even your biological clone would be different, no matter how closely its environment resembled yours. Emotions are something we generate - a kind of byproduct of mental activity, the way heat is a byproduct of physical activity. They're ephemeral, insubstantial, temporary conditions. But having had a feeling, like having had a thought, leaves us slightly - imperceptibly - changed, just as having walked from the bedroom to the kitchen leaves us imperceptibly changed. What defines are the cumulative effects of these tiny actions and reactions.

21. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

leave the squirrels out of it

Michael 345 likes this.
  22. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

23. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

completely predictable based on environmental controls
    you would become a machine
    a biological machine that simply reacted in ways determined by direct stimulation or environmental or rates of decay(entropic cell aging & dietary processing cycles)

yes & no
    yes to many
    no to others
    being the victim to ones emotions by choice
    Verses being victim to others emotions ...

in fact it is a highly complex subject.