Do you want to know your date of death?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Dinosaur, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

I think it would be sweet unless it was soon. Its basically a free pass to skydive, bungee jump, do drugs, have casual sex... or not. Just because you would live till then doesn't mean that you can be a quadrapalegic from skydiving, bungee jumping....

I would still want to know though.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

rofl

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Yes, to the second.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Epictetus: While I would not expect (or want) a precise date, it would be useful to have a reasonabley accurate estimate of how many years are left.
    Rather than wondering when we will die, let's ask ourselves when we will start to really live?​
    I expect about 5 years, but think I might last ten. I am not worrying about dying & want to live the best life I can for the remainder of my days.

With my limited financial resources, there is a big difference between spending it all in 5 years and spending it all in ten. A person with a large net worth can live a good life with a bad estimate of years remaining.

If I had significant net worth, I could divide it by 15 years (a very optimistic estimate for me) & plan on modifying the yearly spendable amount in 3-5 years if the optimistic estimate seemed way off.

As is, I have divided by 10 & intend to modify the spendable amount in 2-3 years. If I had a reliable estimate of 5-7 years, I could have divided by 7 instead of ten, which would make the next few years more comfortable.

8. mikerawlins Registered Member

I dont think i want to know my time of death. Knowing such date would make you scared your entire life waiting for it. Just live by and go with the flow..