Doctor Who - New Season

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Liebling, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

Anyone looking forward to the new season coming up next week?

I'm not a huge Matt Smith fan and I am not liking a lot of the writers, but I do like Karen Gilliam and I really do like Riversong. I am a huge Doctor Who fan (I even carry a TARDIS lunchbox to work every day and own TARDIS shoes) but I am torn right now...

The stories are not true to cannon (way too many plot holes and deviations that make no sense in the Whoverse) and Matt Smith is a bumbling hispter of a Doctor that panders to the young and apparently not as bright or imaginative viewers.

I don't think Torchwood did well in the States because they tailored it to American viewers, and I think that's what Doctor Who is struggling with now. There's too much angsty weirdness for the sake of drama and not enough timey-wimey wibbly-wobbly stuff.

Anyone?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

As a David Tennant fan, i'm leery of the next incarnation. Don't care much for the previous one, either. (No problem with Christopher Eccleston; it's the character i found a bit too ... sociapathic?) Of course we'll watch it - once.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

I watched it when I was a little kid and Tom Baker was doing the role. I think that show jumped the shark after he quit.
    It's a bit childish for grown ups now.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

The writers of this show have been getting lamer and lamer as time goes by I think. To bad they can't at least get better writers to make the shjows more interesting although some episodes I have seen were very well done. I'll await th new launch and only ask "WHO" are the writers going to be this incarnation?

8. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

I personally wish Russell Davies would write more Who for us, but I think he's done. He hasn't written for the show since 2010.

I do think that David Tennant brought some maturity to Doctor Who though, and he's a great actors actor. If you never seen him in the RSC version of Shakespeare's Hamlet done in 2008, you really should. He and Patrick Stewart are both good, but Tennant really is amazing in all the roles I've seen him in.

Tom Baker was a great Doctor Who. That's who I started watching as a child as well.

Little known fact: David Tennant is married to Georgia Moffet (the daughter of Peter Davidson, the fifth doctor).

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I wish some of the writers of the Doctor Who radio show would write some episodes. Some of those are really good.

9. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

..i have netflix,,they have old doctor who episodes..

i have tried to get back into them,but the newer doctor who has spoiled me..i just cant get into the older ones anymore..

but i would like to know which episodes/story has sarah jane, devros,k-9.(not even sure of which old doctor it was..)

10. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Tom Baker was the doctor who brought in K-9 if I recall.

11. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Sarah Jane was introduced during the Third Doctor's(Pertwee) tenure in an episode called "The Time Warrior" (This episode also has the first appearance of a Sontaran). She remained a companion through a part of the Fourth Doctor's (Baker) tenure. Devros first appears in "Genesis of the Daleks" and this is when Sarah Jane meets him.

The first K-9 is introduced after Sarah Jane leaves the series (There has been more than one K-9). Sarah Jane is actually given the third K-9(Mark III) in the pilot episode of an unsuccessful spin-off series in 1981.

12. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

will search those episodes on netflix..hopefully they will have them..
    thanks..