Does 0+0=0?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by John J. Bannan, Jul 13, 2008.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Athens:

Which numbers? For example, the number 7 is not infinite.

John Bannan:

It is a mathematical fact that \(1/2 \times 2 = 1\), but that says nothing about "relative size".

I think you need to define what you mean by "size" before we go any further.

In what way?

You seem to mixing up position and size.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Mathematics itself is just a convenience. You are trying to read meaning where it doesn't belong.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Why? Registered Senior Member

Sure, if you want to look at relative size as position, go right ahead. However, isn't 1 half the size of 2? Now, if we are talking about an infinite point # 2 on a number line, then true, #2 has no size. But, if we are talking about #2 as the sum of all infinite points on the number line between zero and 2, then 2 does have size, it consists of an infinite number of points between zero and 2. Interestingly, however, if an infinite number of points have no dimension or size themselves, then how can this same infinite number of points reach from zero to 2 on a number line? Perhaps, because a number line is a physical object, which does have size? But of course, wouldn't this imply that physical objects are not made of infinite points?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Are you Bannan ?

The points are just separators between the individual pieces of line.

8. Why? Registered Senior Member

No, I am an admirer of Bannan. How can a point with no dimension separate a piece of line? A cake slicer with no width cannot cut a piece of cake.

9. Myles Registered Senior Member

God, don't say there is more than one !

10. Myles Registered Senior Member

All things are posible with god !

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Because they are abstract concepts. A cake is not.

12. Why? Registered Senior Member

How can a line, even an abstract line, comprised of an infinite number of points with no dimension have dimension itself?

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Because a point only in theory has no dimension. In reality everything has dimensions.

14. Why? Registered Senior Member

True. But I thought you were suggesting an imaginary number line had dimension. Sure, a ruler has dimension because it's made from a piece of wood. But, an imaginary number line consisting of an infinite number of non-dimensional points - does that have dimension?

15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, because it is imaginary.. :shrug:

16. Yorda Registered Senior Member

in order for something (the universe) to emerge and manifest itself, it needs a point of departure (zero). when the zero projects itself outside itself (0+0) it is divided into two, and the unity dies. but now that the unity (jesus) has died, manifestation is possible. 0+0+0+0+0+0+0+0= a line, the first dimension. line = beginning+distance+ending = trinity.

makes sense?

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

18. Yorda Registered Senior Member

19. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Step away from the pseudoscience Enmos. You can't fix other people's broken minds.

20. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I also like Brannam's ideas because it allows me go to travel to any coordinate I want without going anywhere. Example - my origin could be my living room couch, and I could visit the pub several miles away by traveling a large number of "nowheres".

I mean -- I could REALLY REALLY go nowhere as hard as I could......milk that origin for all it's worth. I could sit there with my potato chips and bean dip with my butt firmly planted on the couch piling up on the number of absences in distance until I reached the pub.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  21. Myles Registered Senior Member

What, and confuse you even more !I suggest you start with your times tables and take it from there.

22. Why? Registered Senior Member

Now, this raises an interesting point. Distinct real numbers have no dimension. But, they also have relative position from other numbers. For example, 1 is half the distance to 2. But, how can you have position without dimension? How can an infinite series of points between zero and one ever have position, when they have no dimension? How can you put a point with no dimension next to another point on an imaginary number line? Wouldn't these points simply stay at the same point? Well, come to think of it, doesn't a point have dimension? Otherwise, it can't be a point. Maybe it's wrong to say a number is a point. But then, what else do you call it?

23. Reiku Banned Banned

Trust me, so long as i have a place here, i will speed this answer to you. It's actually quite simple, when taking into account conjugates. So 0 is not necesserily 0, so that 0' has a 0 as conjuagted factor.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!