Does anyone else hate Science?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Peter Griffin, Sep 27, 2002.

?

Does anyone else hate Science?

1. Yes, I hate Science!

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. No, I love Science!

64 vote(s)
    91.4%
  1. Peter Griffin RammsteinShriner Registered Senior Member

I hate Science, not everything about it but I find some of it so boring and hard too, does anyone else?
    Yes I hate Science!
    No I love Science!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

GET OUT OF MY OFFICE

Have you checked the name of this forum lately?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

I just hate work related to science.

Then again, I just hate work.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Peter denounces:

I hate Science...

That is a very bold statement to make on a forum dedicated to science. And considering I've yet to see you involved in any threads related to science where you've contributed something of value, your statement is not only slightly offensive, but ultimately vacuous.

...not everything about it but I find some of it so boring and hard too

Allow me to post a definition for your edification, and perhaps you could tell us what part of science you hate the most:

The definition of science is, "the observation, identification, description, experimental investigation, and theoretical explanation of phenomena."

8. Peter Griffin RammsteinShriner Registered Senior Member

mostly biology

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Why do you hate biology, Peter? What is it that is your biggest turn-off?

If everyone felt this way there would be no medical help. No medicenes, no over the counter medical aid to buy to help you through the worse of times.

Ok, you don't like biology, is there a science you do enjoy? If so, what is it? What would you be interested enough in that you would read, say an article, about that given subject. What would you be interested enough in to learn more about?

Everyone has "turn-offs" that they can not stand. They also have favorites that they can not get enough of. What is yours? What are you so interested in that you could probably teach someone else something that they don't know? Why haven't you done so already? I challenge you post something that others can learn from.

(What can I learn from the title of this thread or its body?)

10. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Yuck, Biology. I loved science at school, but biology was just so boring

Our teacher was boring, got us to speak in class and she was growing a beard

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I love science, but I hate doing any experiments related to biology. Three times I've done fecal cauliform tests over the course of my young life, and twice I've spilt the hazardous materials, all of them, into the serene settings that we were working on. I get really, unbelievably jumpy and nervous when I do biology experiments, just because of those events. Plus, I'm really awful at them. I can't remember how to do any of it, even now...

12. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

13. EvilPoet I am what I am Registered Senior Member

I love science but not the math part that seems to go with it.
    Sadly, I am mathematically impaired - been that way all my life.
    I have tried to grasp it and get past my difficulties but to no
    avail. Like a butterfly - it is elusive to me. Oh well, what are
    you going to do. *shrugs*

Math impared or not - I still love science.

See you all later,
    EvilPoet

14. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

I love science. Just not physics, or chemistry that much. I, like EvilPoet, am pretty much mathematically impaired (great at algebra, very dumb with geometry). I do love my biology though. Biology, biochem, biotech, genetics, bugs, amphibians, renewable energies, new technologies, new medicines, drugs and how they affect people and why....you name it, and its not physics or pure chem, then i probably like it!

15. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

What I like about Science are the experimentations!

Give me a chemistry set, and I can be occupied for 12 hours straight!

Give me a microscope, and I will spend the rest of my life looking at everything!

Throw me a dead dog and I will gleefully tear its stomach open to look at the insides, for the sake of satisfying my curiosity!

And I will do anything, trust me. Even if I sound heartless, my morbid fascination of the human species will keep me riveted to live case-studies such as the human boy raised by wolves, or the boy who was raised as a girl. It's just too bad both experiments turned out badly, but it's so interesting!

I just hate record-keeping and having to follow procedures. Teach me the basics, and I will do everything else on my own. Screw lab write-ups, I want to get my hands on the actual experiment! Don't tell me not to mix explosives together, because I want to see it anyway!

But if it doesn't hold my attention or doesn't work, I will throw it in the trash, and try something else. No committment, my worst adversary is myself.

*sigh*

16. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

I love Algebra, but Geometry is easy for me too. All things can be conquered, with enough enthusiasm and practice, I say! Ha HA!

*eyes glitter maniacally in the dark*

*doesn't notice the trained physician until he smacks some tranquilizers on my arm*

*collapses, and is dragged away*

17. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

I'm enrolled in AP biology at school and its mostly independent work...i mean we have instruction, but on "lab days" when we're doing experiments its left up to us, the students. It really gives us a big sense of independence...because we are! I've always been independent though..i do alot of independent study on my own at home (russian, forensics, genetics, drafting, technical drawing, SCIFI). That class is so interesting too..the teacher's great...plus i sit next to a very pretty person of the female-orientation

Point of the thread: BIOLOGY ROCKSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Edit: unlike most other "advanced" science classes in my school...AP biology (the hardest offered) doesnt have any LAB REPORTS (write-ups)!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO. My friends dont understand how it can be AP biology and no lab reports but hey...they're in physics so...hahaha.

18. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

As a young one, I once had a chemistry set given to me. It was quite large and was almost unused. I poured through the experiments, tried them all. Some I repeated, just to satisfy myself that they would indeed repeat. Some got the set taken away for a period of time. (Like when I stunk up the house with rotten egg smell! Or when I stained a good school shirt that wouldn't wash out.)

Later I recieved a microscope. I went through all the prepared slides many times. Looking for odd things and what I could see. After that I made trips to the nearby pond, swamps, trees and just anything I could lay my hands on to prepare samples to look at. Some were disappointing others were marvels of nature.

I think the hardest part of chemistry in high school was when we were given three unknown substances to identify as a final test. Let me tell you, the absolute hardest one was identifing sea water. (Dang it, nothing reacts with it! At least without having some clue at what you are looking at.)

I guess the love for space related interests came from living near "the action" so to say when the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions were going on. I would write those companies that made some of the componets or the lift vehicles for fact sheets, pictures, and the like. The bedroom walls were covered with pictures that I recieved from all over. It was always a wonder to my friends when they would first see it.

So I guess a love of science came at an early age and still remains...

19. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Lucky.

Physics is so boring, our teacher speaks in monotone, so it's a test of willpower just to stay awake.

Biology is taught by a gym teacher with an accent, and he says ATP really funny.

20. Nova1021 Registered Senior Member

I like science a lot, but i am better at writing than i am at math. I'm interested in most science fields, but astronomy and chemistry more than others. Needless to say, i have no idea what my major will be in college... but anywho, i cant imagine not liking science.

21. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Well, as long as everyone is cheering for their favorite scientific fields…go chemistry!

Seriously though, you shouldn’t judge an entire field of science off an experience with a singe teacher. I’ve had many chemistry teachers – some were great and some were terrible. If there’s a field that interests you it should stand on its own merits, not the merits of your latest teacher.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

this is a really stupid thread

and i dont say that very often

23. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

GO PHYSICS

Yeah, this thread has sunken to a new low :bugeye: