Does anyone else hate Science?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Peter Griffin, Sep 27, 2002.

?

Does anyone else hate Science?

1. Yes, I hate Science!

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. No, I love Science!

64 vote(s)
    91.4%
  1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I repeat, adapting to your rhetoric: It is impossible to "uncover the unknown and make it understandable" if fantastic creatures can emerge from their invisible, illogical supernatural universe on a whim at any moment and, by using powers that are not constrained by the laws of the natural universe, can make literally anything happen.

Such as tripling the amount of water on the earth and then draining it off.

No, it discovers laws and principles. The most basic is that the natural universe is a closed system. Gods are imaginary. This is not a claim, assertion, or assumption. It is a theory derived from hundreds of years of empirical observation. Like all scientific theories it is accepted as true beyond a reasonable doubt, meaning that the Rule of Laplace will be automatically invoked if someone claims that he can falsify it.

This theory is tested everytime someone performs an experiment and observes that no gods, angels, demons or other supernatural forces appear in the laboratory to perturb the outcome. No scientific theory has been tested as thoroughly as this one. It is the foundation of the canon of science.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

leopold,

Guesswork alone is not science. Science is usually described as a method that involves the formulation of hypotheses followed by the rigorous testing of those hypotheses against the evidence of the natural world. Hypotheses that survive this rigorous testing become theories which are the best explanations we currently have, although they are always subject to potential rebuttal on the basis of new evidence.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Children under the age of two do science.

They make an observation - "When I knock my fork off my tray, it falls."
    They develop a hypothesis - "If I throw my fork off my tray, it will fall."
    Much to their parents annoyance they test this hypothesis, repeatedly... I think the average of is 33 repetitions, after which the hypothesis becomes accepted as a theory.
    Often the children will develop new hypotheses to test "If I throw my knife, it will fall". "If I throw my plate, it will fall". "If I throw my plate with food on it, it and the food will fall". "If I throw the food from my plate, it will fall".
    They test each of these hypotheses with the same rigor they applied to their initial hypothesis.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Trippy:

I can personally vouch for this hypothesis testing by children. I have also found that they enjoy testing the hypothesis "When I knock/throw my fork/knife/plate/food off my tray and Dad/Mum picks it up, it is very entertaining for me".

8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Isn't it aswesome watching it though?

My wife thinks it's more on the order of 70-100 times. I have a feeling it's a number like 77 or 88 and that I know at least one parent who counted (and confirmed) it.

ALL hypotheses must be THOROUGHLY tested.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. leopold Valued Senior Member

you mean bell, edison, and tesla weren't scientists?
    all 3 of these "tinkered" in their labs.
    quite a few inventions and discoveries were by accident.
    the transistor wasn't "invented" it was discovered, engineers were actually looking for the FET which was developed later.

10. Leland Registered Member

science carnt explain everything......