Does anyone know any basics of black holes?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Reiku, Dec 20, 2011.

1. wlminex Banned Banned

. . . instead . . .put your comments there (Sciforums Government) . . . they don't belong on this thread as Mister cannot respond (banned) . . . .

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

If you think it's worth discussing,
    why should he be banned for posting it?

That doesn't make sense.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Reason given on ban list for misters ban was.

"
    is "Nosense" even a word?

My nine year old daughter could spell better.

Now everybody knows that Prometheus has taken a lot of flak because he censored a thread that mister started about consciousness. Prometheus put a topic into the cesspool, and then it was later restored to general science, as Prometheus likes to censor the topics and posts that he can affect.

We can easily see that prometheus banned Mister because of this and it had NOTHING to do with this thread mister started. What kind of moderator bans people because they don't like their faulty reasoning questioned?

I also thought Prometheus should not censor posts and topics, so I guess I should be banned for disagreeing with censorship on sciforums.

Quite brilliant.

this was the crime post???

How is posting a brainteaser in any way vacuous, or ban worthy?

Does it not seem more likely that the moderator who has a known issue with the member is wielding his new found moderator "power" like a maniac?

I once complained that we seem to allow a lot of "stupid" sounding threads. I can recall one that sticks out in my mind is "What makes the farting sound"?......

So this is the same Sciforums that has threads like "What exactly causes the farting sound?", but posting a brainteaser is prohibited.

I know mister makes some weird threads, but this one says it is a brainteaser?

In light of the recent discover about some Neutrinos travelling faster than light, I would think a post like this might be fun.

Once again we are subjected to prometheus "mightier than thou" censorship, and he will keep his moderated areas free of any questions to his "absolute power"

(not a real quote, just an imagined one.) especially as he wrote post # 2.

(I have never complained about a moderator in my life, but Prometheus it is becoming a weekly thing. I am reporting this thread so any moderators online can see that prometheus is what he is. )

(note post above mine as well)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

There's a difference between bad spelling and a typo.

What kind of person puts words and intentions in peoples' mouths? Especially after complaining about typos?

Mister's banning has nothing to do with what you claim. Mister's gotten various infractions and punishments for generally being dishonest and disruptive. There's no "OMG, my reasoning has been questioned!" issues here, much as you would clearly like to portray. Personally, more than once I've held back from slapping a warning, even a ban, on Mister for disruptive behaviour or utterly inappropriate language. On more than one occasion I have PM'd him rather than make a public moderator action and hand out a warning. Not to mention Mister is actually a new account of someone who has been banned more than a dozen times. The fact he has an account at all is generous.

Regardless of the validity of Prom's actions in the thread editing you refer to your actions are hardly taking the high ground, are they? You've put words and intent in his mouth and now you're again trying to spin the reprimand actions in a way you see fit.

It's clear that Mister's post was not appropriate for that thread. It was about brain teasers, fun little mathematical/physical puzzles people can solve with a nice method or trick, and he posts something about a non-mainstream concept pertaining to advanced physics ie tachyons, black holes etc.

So your question is faulty as Mister didn't post a 'brainteaser' at all.

So you complained about stupid threads and now a moderator is trying to keep a nice thread which is supposed to be fun little puzzles on topic you're complaining?

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Which it wasn't.

It could have had it's own thread, though given the entirely speculative nature of the question, requiring an answer pertaining to something which has no mainstream description (chemical properties of tachyons in black holes) there's only so much reasonable which can be said about it. Yes, the discussion might involve something about black holes etc but to actually answer the question in the manner the rest of the brain teaser thread could be answered, is impossible. It would reduce to random speculation, like asking what is Bigfoot's favourite colour.

Yes, yes, we're all ruling with an iron fist which you feel oppressed by. Can you sing any other tune?

Just like your imagined intentions and motivations of his but you didn't have the honesty to present them as imaginings of yours.

Then its an inappropriate reporting because Prom's behaviour in this thread is fine. What you should have reported, if anything, is the post of his in the thread in question where he states his moderator action.

I can't help but feel you've got an axe to grind, given your constant whining. You make an enormous deal of it, repeatedly stating how you never complained before. A touch of bitterness perhaps?

I didn't say anything to Mister here, I replied to other members about Mister so my comments definitely belong here. Pay attention.

And I did reply in the threads in the government forum, Mister can reply when he returns or when he makes another sock puppet.

8. kwhilborn Banned Banned

I mention that I have never seen an instance where a moderator deserved complaints. I have been on Sciforums for 5+ years and think they have done a good job. It is not only Sciforums. I have not had an issue with any moderator in my life. This was mentioned because Sciforums moderators will recognize that this is true and should give me some credibility when I say Prometheus is a bad moderator.

@ Alphanumeric,
    I think it is obvious why mister was banned despite your defence, and I am sure that this is a "known". I am just posting what is obvious to all/most.

I said there should be a physics section dealing with stuff that has "no mainstream descriptions", but apparently if it is at all questionable it is not science.

For example: I have been looking at something called the Quantum Ring Theory. However if it is true then it would knock some Bohr/Schrödinger ideas off track. I think it would be impossible to discuss such a thing in the Physics forum for several reasons.
    a) because it is not yet accepted it might be censored to the cesspool by prometheus.
    b) I think it would just be trolled to death.

Despite all the "stupider than thou" comments about how opening a physics thread about debatable aspects of physics such as the QRT. It is a good idea. Here is another hint: Don't let prometheus moderate it.

So because there is no mainstream description they don't exist?

I am attempting to understand your reasoning. Isn't discussion a tool that allows people to theorize mainstream descriptions.

If Newton had Sciforums maybe he'd have thought up a gravity theory before an apple landed on his head, although he probably would have been discouraged from science altogether, and become an alchemist or something.

No. Most moderators I have seen on Sciforums seem to at least attempt to be fair and just. It is obvious how Prometheus performs as a moderator, so I think a few of us should speak up when we see things that are wrong.

I said my piece. I'm sure some people recognize prometheus for what he is. I do not plan on commenting further on it.

9. wlminex Banned Banned

To AN Post #24: "Yes, yes, we're all ruling with an iron fist which you feel oppressed by. Can you sing any other tune?"

. . . I CAN . . . . "personal and professional CENSORSHIP" . . . . don't know about ypu blimies and aussies . . . but here in the good ole' USA, we VALUE FREEDOM OF SPEECH . . . be it oral or written!!

10. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Why do you keep pretending you're a moderator?

11. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

It does.

This thread in fact.

He was banned after he started THIS tread, not for his post in the Brain Teaser thread (he was given a warning for that)

The specific reason given for the 2 week ban was: "posting vacuous nosense repeatedly"

Which IMHO is a very lengthy ban compared to other much more serious rules violations which get much shorter bans.

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Ban length is dependent on total number of infractions remaining since last ban: accumulate infractions quickly enough and you can get a very long ban for a seemingly innocuous infraction.
    The ban length isn't predicated on the seriousness (or otherwise) of the latest (i.e. the one giving rise to the ban itself) offence.

13. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ Alex G,
    How is leaving a note for the moderator the same as pretending to be one. He is stating every single post in this thread is off topic and against Sciforum rules.

If he was a moderator I suppose he would have just closed it. I don't know why you say he "keeps" pretending, but if you are reading it wrong every time that might explain a few things.

14. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

I read Mister's (Reiku's) teaser. He basically strung several words and catch phrases together but it doesn't actually make sense. I agree with prom's assessment that it was vacuous nonsense.

Then there is the issue of Mister himself. He was (when he was Reiku years ago) a rather prolific pseudo-scientist whom would substitute creative writing for actual science. He also had some kind of mental condition affecting his behavior which required medication. To be honest, I don't really see any behavioural changes now that hes back with a new name. I am wondering if whatever mental affliction he has prevents him from processing information correctly; thus, resulting in his constant problem behavior on this site.

15. prometheus viva voce! Registered Senior Member

Yay! the best people can do is correct my spelling - clearly I'm doing something right.

Clearly that is a typo and I meant nonsense.

Actually, I've taken hardly any flak, other that the great deal of noise you've been making about the subject.

You can clearly read the reason for the ban on the banlist. You are simply lying about the reason to suit your own preconceptions.

Seriously?! If you look at the post there's not even a question stated, and a great deal of it simply does not make sense. As crunchy cat said:
    This just shows how much you actually pay attention: mister didn't start the thread, it's an old one of bentheman's and I bumped it back up.

You keep banging on about this. As AN says, it certainly seems like you have an axe to grind. Since you are actually the only one making a fuss about the action taken against mister (even mister himself didn't say much about it in the short time he was back between bans, other than to tell me how many friends he has :shrug

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yeah, your prejudices are obvious.

There is: Alternative theories

You are hardly a prolific poster in physics and maths and you never have been, so you can hardly claim that you're not doing it now because I'm a mod there.

I wonder how long this will last...

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

This was his post:

Ok... I have a teaser... a very complicated one;

If a black hole radiates away it's mass, and it has a mass of that of several masses of our own sun, and tachyons exist, how much chemical processes inside this frozen star will allow a new tachyon radiation to eminate from inside the black hole structure before the black hole has evaporated?

My question is in light of the possible discovery of faster than light neurtino's whcih are found in streams from black holes. A black hole could not contain such a particle.

Does that make no sense at all?
    It looks like it does, but I'm not the person to judge.

If it does make sense then he shouldn't have been banned for it.

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It looks to me like he was throwing a petulant temper tantrum. Like he wanted to be banned. He has been angling for more bans for a while now. It's like he thinks he'll be vindicated somehow when he finally gets himself permanently banned... again.

You don't challenge the scientific orthodoxy by posting pure, unadulterated nonsense. Let's take a look:

If a black hole radiates away it's mass, and it has a mass of that of several masses of our own sun, and tachyons exist, how much chemical processes inside this frozen star will allow a new tachyon radiation to eminate from inside the black hole structure before the black hole has evaporated?

My question is in light of the possible discovery of faster than light neurtino's whcih are found in streams from black holes. A black hole could not contain such a particle. ​

It's ok up to the words "and tachyons exist". Once you introduce a pure fantasy element into a "brainteaser", then any answer is going to be acceptable. The point of a brainteaser is that it is a logical puzzle. Given general knowledge (and maybe a few skills), anybody ought to be able to arrive at one, unique answer.

He might as well have written "If a black hole blah blah blah, and fairies exist, how much..."

Next, the words "how much chemical processes..." make no sense in English. And that's ignoring the fact that there isn't much chemistry happening in a star.

Next we have a set of unsupported claims from Mister that (a) faster-than-light neutrinos are found in streams from black holes, and (b) that a black hole "could not contain such a particle".

Put it all together and you get a load of nonsense stacked on nonsense.

Yes, you're right. Fortunately, we here at sciforums never ban people merely for suggesting "alternative theories". In fact, we have an entire subforum devoted to discussion of just such things.

I'll remember to take you to task next time you make a typo or a grammatical or spelling error.

Is that what you really want? If you're going to criticise others in this way, then you'd better be perfect in your own writings.

Not any moderator here.

You're more likely to be banned for posting nonsense in the science subforums, just like Mister.

Nothing has been censored. In fact, Mister's entire post has been requoted a number of times right here in this very thread.

You have repeated this complaint regularly in reports and in other threads. Obviously, I have seen it. I judge that no action is required.

Prometheus is doing a great job.

So, you can stop this particular complaint right here.

There is such a physics section. It is called "Alternative theories".

All actual science is capable of "mainstream descriptions". We're happy to discuss real science in the Physics forum. "Alternative science" can go to the other forum.

If you're not sure how to tell the difference, please ask. I might post a thread about the scientific method, since it seems at the moment that a number of people here have no idea what it is.

I see no problem with posting about Quantum Ring Theory in the Physics forum, provided that it is a theory advanced by actual working scientists and not some dude in his garage who read A brief history of time once and therefore thinks he is equipped to do quantum field theory.

Real scientists are constantly entertaining new ideas and hypotheses. It's their job to push the limits of what is known. It is their job to question accepted orthodoxies and probe them for any possible error.

Real scientists are not frightened of new ideas, even unorthodox ones. But they are only interested with ideas that have substance, rather than just a bunch of disconnected, unsupported, vague claims like a stream-of-consciousness dream spammed onto the page.

He was an alchemist, among other things.

In some respects, Newton was very much a woo woo. Unfortunately, he didn't apply the same standards of rigour to his alchemy that he applied to his physics. Or, rather, he didn't question the fundamentals of the whole alchemical enterprise. Although, to be more charitable to him, he didn't have the benefit of even 18th century chemistry. He knew nothing about atoms or the periodic table, since he lived in the 17th century.

Ban lengths are generally related to the number of active infraction points a poster has.

18. adoucette Caca Occurs Valued Senior Member

Not likely, since the post he was banned for was in "Site Feedback".
    He does seem to have issues understanding what he reads, but I see nothing to suggest that that post was intended to earn a 2 week ban.

Since when do "brain teasers" have to limit themselves to the real world?
    They very frequently don't.

http://www.braingle.com/brainteasers/27770/cats-in-spring.html

Indeed they often postulate some set of totally hypothetical conditions for which an answer is desired.

True, as brain teasers go, it wasn't one I'd spend any time on, but then no one was being forced to do so either, so IMO it's placement in that old thread wasn't in any way disruptive.

Why Prometheus got his panties in a wad over it appears to be simply because he had resurected the thread to discuss a particular question that came up on a job interview.

If Prometheus wanted to limit the discussion to the one problem he brought up then he really should have started a new thread for this, because Mister's post in an old thread labeled "Brain Teasers" with THESE RULES:

wasn't out of line.

Except he apparently wasn't banned for that.
    He got an infraction for that.
    He didn't get the boot until he started this thread in Site Feedback.

Even if one is doing a real good job that doesn't mean one can't make a mistake occasionally.

And Science moderators have the ability to move threads to there if they so choose. Banning someone for 2 weeks is a very heavy-handed approach though.

Well they also have to actually have another infraction don't they?

So maybe you can explain when did posting "vacuous nonsense" become an infraction since so many regular posters do that every single day?

Or should I start using the Report button everytime I see someone post some "Vacuous Nonsense"????

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  19. leopold Valued Senior Member

the MO speaks for itself:
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=111287

20. wlminex Banned Banned

. . .tachyons have as much basis in reality as gravitons . . .

21. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Is there some reason you post the same opinionated comment in multiple threads? If you're going to post the same thing multiple times at least put some effort in and give an explanation. James has already commented about how you just post one sentence snippets which don't add much, hows about you change that behaviour? How about I ask you something specific you can address? We have found quanta for each of the other forces so why should gravity be any different?

22. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Nobody recognizes jokes around here. However I might have known he was into alchemy before I stated that. The statement makes little sense otherwise as alchemy has similarities to chemistry which is science.

My statement has little to do with you or your opinion on the matter. I am stating this because I'd like it clear that unlike "mister/reiku/whatever", I have never had a "run in" with a moderator before. If I went around complaining on a weekly basis then I could see my comments being written off easier by other members.

@ james r.,
    I don't blame you for defending moderators, but my opinion stands. I also feel it was a very CLASSY thing for the moderator in question to state,
    "Happy holidays mister."
    in the second post of this thread.

I somehow view that in a more sarcastic light (just slightly) than it may have been intended and adds to my high opinion of the "moderator" in question. Perhaps the moderator in question response childishly as they are not equipped to handle social interactions well, but forming rude responses this often do seem to come from someone in need of tougher skin.

Then again, perhaps post number 2 (of this thread) was a sincere wish for "happy Holidays".

Merry Christmas all.

p.s.
    I don't make mistakes. :shrug:

23. wlminex Banned Banned

. . . SO . . ."opinions" and "snippets" . . . are NOT allowed on Sciforums?? (Ref: AlexG, AN. Prometheus, and others for comparison!)

RE: "We have found quanta for each of the other forces so why should gravity be any different?" . . . If it were not different, we'd have figured-out gravity by now . . . . perhaps "quanta" is not the only factor in gravity . . . . so . . is this just another "snippet"? . . . or perhaps it is a basis for a more rational and expansive discussion of causes for gravity.