Does awareness exist?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Bowser, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Cranch Registered Member

Awareness is whatever tidbit of noosphere's sum perception of the universe you have accumulated, and what subset of that tidbit you accept as "real".

I am not talking about knowledge; I am referring to the every-moment perception of what "is".

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

do a test, get a baby kill all 5 of its senses, let it grow up and test for awareness,

would you be aware of yourself without any 5 of your senses and you were just your mind in a jar?

peace

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cranch Registered Member

How could you test such an unfortunate creature? Assuming you could find such a test, the result would be negative. Awareness is not something encoded (yet?) into our DNA, only the potential for such. Many, many creatures spend no time with their parents, no time living and learning within a culture that raises them up through increasingly more encompassing "levels" of awareness, as human children are. Cultures make available access to the various levels awareness through directed education and general exposure to the noosphere.
    As I am today, yes. A brand-new human baby's brain, no.

What are you implying?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rajagopals Registered Senior Member

Yes it does. If you tend to live your life for God and all what you do is for him or his purpose this awareness will come to you. Level of awareness depends on your curiosity and reason to know. If you are very keen to know about things that are going to happen in future you can easily think about the same (with utmost curiosity and focus) and you can be aware of the same. For me this level of curiosity and focus comes when it comes to things/beings that I love and care. I can hook on to this awareness when I feel like and I am not interested to know more than what I need to know. I am only interested on being aware of what I need to – very limited few things.

It is just a thought, that comes like any other thought in your mind but this one reveals the truth and many times it’s very scary. It is a general tendency that common man is more curious/anxious about ‘not good’ situations or scenarios – probably a tendency for identifying and eliminating risk elements in future – so mostly my awareness tends to get data from future than past. I am rather stuck on past and never was interested.

Devotion to God (nature) while remaining desireless is the key to developing awareness. The moment you start doing mathematics with your awareness or think beyond, what you have is just perception – which may not be truth, always

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Cranch Registered Member

Does your idea of "god" only work if you think of god as a "he"? You obfuscate (intentionally?) your point by referring to god as he and below as nature.
    Why do you propose perception of physical manifestation is contrary to being aware of nature?

9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I'm such a sucker for this forum.

Let's just resolve that we live in mind. There is the natural background that you can observe and live within without any real effort--it requires no thought and just IS. There is also the conceptual--that which requires thought and bunches of energy. We create the later.

10. Rajagopals Registered Senior Member

No. I was just referring God as he, which is a most common belief, that’s all but sure you can consider God as she or nature or anything else

It is not intentional. I can detail the ‘God’ aspect of my message with how or what I consider as God. To me I pray to Lord Shiva and I pray to many other Gods as well. I also see my mother as God and see God in few other people whom I love, care and respect the most. I also see God in nature and animals and many other living and non living beings. Almost like a universal love. The reason for ‘almost’ is because I still hate few things or few fears are yet to get out of my head or rather I am not yet fully desireless or at least I act that way for people around me whom I care.

Aadhi-daiveekam in Sanskrit means ‘beyond divine’ and this also represent the way nature behaves. Lightning, thunder and many other fears powers of nature acts in a ‘beyond divine’ fashion. But in some manner divine and ‘beyond divine’ are related. Being aware is also about aware of this special equation or relation between God and nature. IMHO getting to know nature and God is much easy than trying to understand the physical one that’s in front of you. You never know whom are you really interacting with?

In my experience of tapping in to awareness, if ever I use my astrological know how to relate it to possibilities (known to me through awareness) I found that I tend to kill awareness with that. In a simple way – if I start imagining while I am getting aware then what I have is a mental picture of what I want to see not what it is going to be. If you want to tap in to awareness, what you need to stop is your brain/thoughts/desires etc that drive/function with a motive.

Towards this purpose (stop brain/thoughts/desires) you need to practice Samadhi (Sanchara Samadhi) and get control over your breath. There is a simple exercise that proves this theory. Stop (hold) your breath and in your mind you shout something – I want to do, I want to run, I want to love – and if you focus you will notice the pressure increase when you are shouting these in your mind.

11. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

say somebody was born without any of the five senses and managed to live,

when he reaches adulthood, will he have consciousness or awareness?,

this would prove something wouldent it?

i say do the test get a baby kill off 5 of its senses, let it grow into an adult, and do every single test known to man on his brain activities, i would say if he enters R.E.M state while asleep, he has a conscious or awareness, or some kind of activity is going on there,

thats a good sub question actually that popped into mind, do people who are born blind have visual dreams in there minds eye?. do they enter rapid eye movement state during sleep?. if they are born blind, or blind and deaf would be better, ???????/

peace.