Does God make mistakes?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Alan McDougall, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Doreen Valued Senior Member

So then Jesus did not really suffer for our sins.

And more and more you move away from the Abrahamic religions. Which is fine, but I may not address your objections here because I think it is, really, a whole other topic.

It would seem like God's sorrow is also of the opinion there is a problem.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Doreen Valued Senior Member

So how did people here become so certain that God cannot be fallible?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

If one is not free from illusion one can barely suffer the sins of one's own .... what to speak of others
    The Abrahamic religions relegate Jesus to sainthood?

sure ... a problem of misplaced identity.
    If one thinks that the material world is our "real" home, this gives rise to the problem of "Does god make mistakes?"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

If an entity is omnipotent, technically they don't have a sword to fall on

8. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I'll take that as a 'yes'.

No, not what I meant. Christians would be put off by the use of the plural, right off the bat in your quote. Jews would be put off since the messiah has not come and you seem to think some of these beings have come. Muslims in general, I don't think, refer to things this way, except perhaps Sufis.

Like making a fake home, for example. But I dare say I feel like we are talking about maya or samsara and not something that quite fits with the Abrahamic traditions. I would try to take this up with you elsewhere if you wish.

9. Doreen Valued Senior Member

There are things I can do, but haven't done in error. There are things I can do, but haven't done because of confusion or even not quite knowing what I was dealing with in myself.

Ah, I shouldn't even go here. I will mull over if I want to engage you here in what seems like a discussion not simply parallel to the other one here, but one that is a skewed line from the one here.

10. Alan McDougall Alan McDougall Registered Senior Member

Mind boggling nonsense to you only mighty all knowing one.

May the fleas of ten thousand camels be lodged in your beard

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

are we talking about a proposal of god's fallibility or ours?

ok

12. Alan McDougall Alan McDougall Registered Senior Member

I dont know if you are aware of it, but baby rape has really happened here in South Africa, where I live

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

actually it was of a question why you think lodging the claim that jesus appeared in this world untainted by illusion prohibits him from having suffered fro our sins ... especially when being materially untainted would be a prerequisite for the act
    hence the bone of contentions within the abrahamic religions is what puts the "s" on the end of it .... but even then, its still not clear how distinguishing jesus from a saint places one outside the category

If you want, but there are plenty of biblical references to the value of things of this world and living in such a way to prepare one's self for the next

14. Alan McDougall Alan McDougall Registered Senior Member

The god of the bible makes many mistakes if one considers him as the agent of creation

Likewise if we dismiss god in the equation then the evolution of the earth and the universe is just one huge mistake as well

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

If you want a response I think you have to pad out your conclusion with a few premises

16. Doreen Valued Senior Member

So you do think he necessarily suffered for our sins despite being who he was.

I don't think Jesus as Bodhisattva sits too well with Judaism or Christianity. I would say Islam comes the closest, actually. But still he was a prophet and not God himself to them. And not even the best prophet at that.

But it's not quite the same. The next being where you go after you die if you are good and have accepted Christ in your heart. Which comes close to bhakti traditions, but even there one need not wait for death. The veil between is not individual temporal. I still think its apples and oranges. Both fruits, albeit.

17. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Oh, I'm aware of it. And it's not limited to South Africa, though there is a specific spin on sex with babies curing AIDs. I could have added that to my scenario. God placing a baby in the home of a man with AIDs who thinks that sex with babies will cure him and is willing to perform this act. Adds a little more quesiness and long term effects to the example.

18. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I actually misunderstood your nice paradoxical sentence's context. Are you saying I am not God, lightgigantic?

19. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

Jesus is one of the top five prophets in terms of status so no worries there.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Doreen Valued Senior Member

But not God on earth. Bodhisattva or avatar of Visnu etc. does not fit with Islam I do not think.

21. Big Chiller Registered Senior Member

By the way being a prophet is no ordinary matter one is born a prophet and is protected by God from immoralities since birth.

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I'm saying that suffering for another's sins requires an element of being materially untainted
    There are some elements of dichotomy even within christianity - for instance jesus isn't credited with universal creation or playing some role during adam and eve's time

Details of the after life are not christianity's strong suit ... although christian missionaries to india noted that the bhakti traditions posed the greatest challenges to their proselyting due to the remarkable similarity

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

If one cites an experience that is a far cry away from omnipotence, it should be clear one is not. The very act of fallibility occurs at the hands of circumstances that are beyond our control.