Does God use a full disclosure policy or does he hide information?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Greatest I am, Feb 10, 2011.

1. lightgigantic Banned Banned

you have some criteria to work with in terms of goals, terms and reference points

then whatever path you choose (in accordance with your needs) will be something else (and hence of a different goal)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Why am I not surprised.

Regards
    DL

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Yes I agree. God put 0 effort in his disclosure.

Regards
    DL

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

In one sense yes - in the sense that I have some understanding of the various traditions.

But practically, this seems useless, no different than shooting an arrow and then running ahead with a target and place it so that the arrow would hit it.

It is logically impossible to choose a religious/spiritual path - at least such a path that would contextualize everyone and everything (which any path worth its salt is supposed to; and those who don't aren't worth the effort).

The notion of such choice implies that there exists a neutral, objective meta-system of knowledge and values that is independent of everyone and everything, but which I can make necessary and sufficient use of.
    Any path that would be chosen on the grounds of such a meta-system would be necessarily inferior to this meta-system.
    (This is what, for example, those Muslims imply when they say that they accept Islam because it makes sense and because neuropsychology proves that prayer has a benficial calming effect on the mind. For them, common sense and neuropsychology have in effect the upper hand over the Islamic teachings.)
    On the grounds of such a meta-system, one cannot accept a path that would contextualize the existence of everything (including the meta-system, myself and my mind) without simultaneously enduring severe cognitive dissonance.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

actually I was talking about your effort ... or do you think that disclosure should require 0 effort in a perfect world?

9. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

I agree. Neither of us are truly trying to communicate with the other.

Regards
    DL

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

if that was really the case you would have nothing to complain about ... after all, you would hit your target, yes?

even medical decisions don't cover all and everything

For instance in the treatment of cancer, one cannot expect to get the benefit of both allopathic and traditional treatments simultaneously

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

because you seem to specialize in monologues

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Except that it is a totally solipsistic action to shoot an arrow and then align the target ... this is the totally crazy part about choosing a path ...
    :bugeye:

I am not sure what you mean by this comparison?

This will be a truism, but anyway - a proper spiritual path should have solutions for all the problems of life.

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

This lack of effort comes from quite definitively seeing God as an unattractive fellow, or knowledge of God as something that won't make any difference in one's life.

14. lightgigantic Banned Banned

so in terms of values and endeavors to them, you are not really using that arrow and that target, yes?

its the very nature of choosing a path that you are excluding another (even though there may be several to choose from)

Kind of like a proper medical procedure should solve illness, yet sometimes it may invoke a type of illness as a cure - or to say it another way, if the person may accept a medicine even though it is bitter, because they have a dire need to fulfill

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

well then you don't have the same problem as the self affirmed Greatest who can't even make the grade to partial disclosure

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

It certainly feels like I am being expected to do just that.

My point is that it is impossible to choose (an all-overarching) path; unless, of course, one is willingly opting for an inferior path.

But when accepting this this bitter medicine means that one must become a kind of a Stepford Wife??

17. lightgigantic Banned Banned

well even if its an imposition, it affects one's values, as opposed to establishing them

how does an inferior path grant a wider aperture?

A stepford wife?
    to what end?

18. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I wasn't suggesting that it does.

Sorry to be so blunt, but generally, devotees seem like Stepfordians to me.

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

then why not go with the widest one on offer?

Try living with a devotee couple for a month or two to get the real picture ....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

That would be the rational course of action, of course. Except that I am not so sure God is such a magnanimous fellow to allow for my notions of what makes for "the widest one on offer".

I know that they are not all Stepfordians.
    But it does seem like being a Stepfordian is the ideal, the what is necessary to go back to Godhead.

21. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

how does that fit in with the fact that we're all created unique?

22. Greatest I am Valued Senior Member

Matthew 24:6
    And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.

Theists will drag out such useless rhetoric in the instances when they have no logical come back and expect that non theists will just nod and accept like they, as good little sheeple, do.

Regards
    DL

23. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

are you saying a proper spiritual path will not bring you struggle?