Does goverment spy on you?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by scorpius, Feb 26, 2022.

1. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

Im very certain that Huawei OS is very secure and prevents anyone to spy on its users.
    Main reason US banned it imo. Or maybe its too big competition to krApple.

Same reason our Gov killed Blackberry this year.
    Its OS is just as secure as Huawei.

https://www.blackberry.com/us/en/products/devices

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Thought Huawei was baned in England, Australia and America because of the company, being based in China, and hence being subject to Government interference, ie may be forced to allow Chinese Government to suck out (up) information from the system (spying)?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Exactly.
    Today the term "freedom" means the right to do as you please without regards for other people's rights and freedoms.
    We have regressed back to the days where everybody was armed and if you felt threatened, just shoot 'em dead.
    In court all you need do is claim self-defense and you walk away without ANY accountability!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

scorpius:

You're nothing if not consistent in your politics. I can't say I'm surprised.
    I didn't accuse anybody of anything.
    Ooh. Touchy!

You don't like my suggesting that the Chinese government might possibly spy on people? Why is that? Why so protective? You don't seem bothered by the suggestion that the US or UK or Australian governments might do it, for example. And you don't live in China, you tell me. So what's your vested interest?
    What makes you certain? Are you an IT expert? Have you personally investigated the Huawei OS to make sure there are no "back doors" in the software? Do you work for Huawei?
    Didn't they explain why they banned it? Do you think they weren't being truthful about their reasons?

8. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Does goverment spy on you?

I had a very odd occurrence short while ago

Years ago when I used to chase around for good value I kept old own phone numbers as I changed them under OWN because I didn't bother memorising them and did not delete old ones

Other day I searched Indonesian Government website for information about travel requirements

Copied small section from the requirements and pasted it to my current .....555 number as SMS

Short time later I received the same bit but it was showing, in the who from part, AN OLD MOBILE NUMBER with my photo I no longer use

The old mobile number I ditched years ago but it remains in my kept list under the name of Own

How the phone Number became a Name and then sent me the text I had sent to myself about Indonesian Government travel requirements I have no idea

I also keep under ? Who Aust spam numbers currently at 31. Have no idea the upper limit number of phone numbers which can be placed under one name

I'll just keep adding them until I get there. I keep spam numbers because a friend said he was reporting them as spam, as I do, but some still came through

Haven't had any break through but if any do the name will show up as ? Who Aust

Most times you can tell anyway. 3 rings and hang up. Plus lately reported as possible spam

9. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Everyone, be they a nation, a government, a government agency, a private or public company/telecom, an app provider; everyone is spying on everyone else all the time, in every way possible.

No civil court interventions required.

I've never owned a cell phone (feature or smart).

I grew up in a time when, suspected of having committed a crime, you were forced by law to wear an ankle bracelet: where you are, when your are, predicting your available options.

Everyone now carries an ankle bracelet: camera, microphone, contacts, GPS, texts, emails, purchases, reading list, phone contacts, calendar, ...etc..

Except me.

HaHa.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Yeah, but you still use a computer to access the internet. That is tracked. You're not anonymous.

11. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Today added one more

This was a odd land line number in Darwin

Now tally is 54

12. ThazzarBaal Registered Senior Member

Patriot act initiated During Bush and the survailence act was signed in during Obama - It is done through cell phones, laptops, desktops, tablets, etc. So, yes.

Freedom act actually - phone meta data is in the hands of tela communication companies as opposed to directly with government surveillance apparently, so I'm guessing these companies are likewise monitored for security measures. Yes, our government has eyes on us.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2023