Does Gravity have a WaveLength ?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by river, May 31, 2020.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

Gravitational waves can indeed have a wavelength. Static gravity, like static potential, does not.

davewhite04 likes this.
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

That isn't Truth. It is opinion.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Can it now? Who told you that?

EDIT: You did say "can", I misread it in my fury and agree with you.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

Wrong on both accounts .

Look up the evidence of gravitational waves being detected . Then you will understand what I'm saying .

What I Mean .

8. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

I understand you.

9. river

Good

10. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

River, just don't use the word truth when it comes to science. Science isn't like religion, who claim to hold some static truth(2 of them do), it is always searching for the truth when it comes to the nature of how our universe works. It is ultimately a never ending mystery.

EDIT: Did you watch the SpaceX launch?

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Science is shaking up the status quo everyday Dave!! Why do you think they keep testing and retesting and retesting Einstein's theories every day. And of course before any Tom Dick, Harry, river, or you or me, can start making any reasonable comments or claims outside the box, one must first know what is in the box. In that regard, river has dismally failed even in the most basic primary school level of knowledge, and he does that everytime he posts. Did you know the Moon does not rotate on its axis...according to river that is.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

river loves seeing himself in print...river loves trolling [that's why he is banned from the sciences] river will not learn, as opposed to cannot learn, that's what makes his case so sad...that's what makes him a fool.
    river is not a good person...a good person would not troll.
    Hey Dave, ask him about the atomic on Mars between two alien species.

I won't say a word.

12. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Imagine this place without river? You wouldn't of made me laugh, but I think we can lose the word "school" it's optional. In rivers basic mistakes are interesting ideas, and that is what science is about. But, you have to have a point to why your talking about this? To win an argument? To build a spaceship? Attitude, a craving for attention and he's got mine.

13. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Gravitational waves are what propagates away from a source of such waves. The field they propagate in is spacetime itself, so it warps (squeezing and stretching), and so does any matter including the LIGO detector. So gravity is, essentially, four dimensional spacetime with waves.

In physics gravity waves are waves in a medium which is subject to acceleration due to gravity, such as water waves; these aren't just on the surface but propagate through the whole depth of a body of water.

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I agree...he is good for a laugh, but on the other hand, I would prefer to watch the three stooges.

15. river

A theory based on spacetime , again !!

Space , no problem .

Time , time is a problem . It makes no thing . Take time out of four dimensional space , makes no matter to the continued existence of the three physical dimensions . Take one of the three dimensions out , then you you also eliminate time . Because time is fundamentally a measurement of physical movement(s) , by physical things . So because you took out dimension in a three dimensional physical world . ( Where we live ) ;

None of the other dimensions can exist . You end up with ; Nothing . Nothing at all .

the three fundamental physical dimensions , breadth , depth and length , can and do exist without time .

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  16. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Hi River, I hope you are well.
    Movement is how a human can place some measurement on the passing of time but time will still pass I expect even if there is no movement or human to take not of the movement.
    I don't see any point to assert if the first three dimentions don't exist and draw a conclusion upon such an impossible situation...in any event you will only limit movement and I doubt that stops the passage of time but only takes away a mechanism for a human to measure.
    I expect you have some alternate concept on gravity..maybe from the Electric universe and I ask what it is if you have something in mind.

Alex

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

That won't work with river, Dave. He is truthfully psychotically delusional in many respects. Check out his last post here for example.

The thing is and as he ignorantly ignores, Einstein's relativity has shown space and time to be interchangeable and two sides of the same coin....space certainly exists...it is what separates you and me...just as time exists...it's what stops everything from happening together. One cannot exist without the other, as both evolved at t+10-43 seconds, in an event called the BB.
    Space evolves with time...time evolves with space. The expansion of the universe/space/time tells us that.
    [but rive probably denies that also

]

18. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

If we call time the 4th dimension then our dimension, us, created all 3 other dimensions. Time has no matter so you cannot call it something that we need, it is used to keep us right, and for scientists to measure the distance to stars etc. Einstein used it, to explain how spacetime works.

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The four dimensions came into being at the BB...we just assigned names to them.
    In Einstein's SR, time cannot be separated from the three spacial dimensions, because the observed rate at which time passes for an object depends on the object's velocity relative to the observer.

20. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

They have no matter, they only exist on paper and in your mind.

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

You mean they are not physical...and that's where you are mislead. Something need not be physical to exist. Forget, the stars, planets, asteroids BH's etc, does the universe exist? Of course the universe/space/time exists! The universe is spacetime...

22. davewhite04 Valued Senior Member

Spacetime is a word we made up to explain it, it didn't tell us "my name is spacetime and I...." can you not understand that man made all 4 dimensions? The problem is you all like making something simple complicated. Same with coders. They fart around... You can create a dimension now, draw a picture, add time and make a cartoon.. Give humans credit.

23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Of course...who ever denied that? But the four dimensions, as we named them, length breadth, height and time exist.
    If I was to intend on meeting you for a schooner at the Matto Hotel, I would give you co-ordinates of where the hotel is....then I would need to give you a time.

At the first instant of the BB, matter did not exist...Only space and time. As the universe expanded, so to did time...As time progressed, so to did the universe expand. The universe is space/time.