does gravity travel faster than light ?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by RainbowSingularity, May 28, 2019.

1. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Don't think so

The gravity field of Earth, once in place, remains essentially static

Should the Earth gain a large mass, in the form say of a meteor, the Earth gravity field would change

The change in the gravity field would propagate outward at the speed of light. There would not be a instant change throughout the field

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

I'm guilty of this myself but anyway it's often the case that such statements are a veiled reference to someone's particular viXra article additional to the immediate one.
    That said, did you also have in mind my own 'admission' here?:
    http://www.sciforums.com/threads/gr-is-a-static-gravity-model.164397/page-2#post-3676999
    If so, please acknowledge that, and further, feel free to go to that thread and point out the grievous crank errors I have made there. There is one formal error in my viXra article not mentioned in above link that I will disclose now. I referred there several times to conformal flatness of the exponential metric field whereas I should have specified that only applies to the spatial metric components. Other than that, I stand by the general GR killing conclusions there.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TonyYuan Gravitational Fields and Gravitational Waves Registered Senior Member

viXra is a good choice if you want to share your thoughts early. arxiv has violated its original purpose, which is one reason viXra can exist.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Q-reeus Banned Valued Senior Member

The chief benefit of publishing in viXra for those with controversial views and no academic position or contacts - myself for instance - is that it affords a zero cost way of establishing intellectual priority. And intellectual/conceptual priority is a fiercely defended - and oft contested - right.

TonyYuan likes this.
  8. TonyYuan Gravitational Fields and Gravitational Waves Registered Senior Member

Very correct.

Q-reeus likes this.
  9. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, no. From the sun's perspective, the Earth's gravity field is moving at about 66,000 mph. Which means that if you were near the Sun and tried to use a very accurate gravity measurement device to see where the Earth really was, it would not be super accurate - it would point to where the Earth was 8 minutes ago.
    Right. Because gravity propagates at the speed of light.

10. TonyYuan Gravitational Fields and Gravitational Waves Registered Senior Member

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/350617258_Gravitational_Fields_and_Gravitational_Waves

The discovery of gravitational waves provides a new way for us to understand the universe, however, the speed of gravitational waves does not represent the speed of gravitational fields. The speed of action of gravitational fields is much greater than the speed of gravitational waves. As stated by Newton: Gravity is an action-at-a-distance force. Gravitational waves caused by the revolution of the sun affect the orbits of planets and provide some planetary precession data. The chasing effect of gravitational waves also causes the planetary orbital mechanical energy to continue to increase slowly until the planet escapes from the solar system. Gravitational waves exist; the gravitational model under the influence of gravitational waves that we constructed was a physical model. Through the calculation of planetary orbital precession, the correctness of the gravitational equation under the influence of gravitational waves is verified.

11. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Gravity could possibly be the power of the light reflected since the Big Bang onto particles that gather close enough to keep an area in the middle of the two objects from receiving a push. That would push them together and force them to be round over time. Just a thought

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Beaconator:

Your are posting to one of our Science subforums. Pseudoscientific speculation has no place here.