does he really have the right?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by trevor borocz johnson, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Even in Sydney you can't go out at night for fear of being attacked by kangaroos.

It is getting out of hand.

That should keep the boats away ..am I ready to be an advisor to the PM or what.

And I am joking folks.
    I bet many Australians have only seen a kangaroo at the zoo.

Up home I get up to 10 wallabies (a small type of kangaroo) around the house at night. Even in day light early morning and dusk.
    You would not believe how big a joey (baby) can get and still get in the mothers pouch.
    They are pretty in fact they are called "pretty face wallabies" only about four feet tall.
    The large roos I don't see as many.
    There is a creek I visit where there are some rock wallabies.
    Alex

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Good question! [I think!]
    Because as I said they can get to plague proportions, herds of them, thousands and thousands, can interfere with the grazing of sheep and cattle, over run orchids etc and impinge on the livelyhood of farmers. Note carefully that in Australia we are prone to fierce drouts which can make grazing land hard to come by in certain places.
    As I said, the culling is a necessary evil.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

Culling I get it . ( I wish we would do this with our Canada Geese problem on our lakeshores)

But what allows the Kangaroo to be so prolific , in the first place ?

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The first settlers cleared a heap of forest land to plant crops etc, giving the roo more space to breed which they do very well.
    Alex may have more knowledge then myself though being a country lad.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. river

What do they feed on , was what I was getting at .

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Kangaroos are herbivores.

10. river

Yes

But what plant or plants do they prefer ?

11. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

They are sex mad.

They not only look cute to humans but to each other and as they are active around sun rise and sun set, arguably the most two romantic parts of the day the conditions are perfect.

I think the female has a baby permanently backed up, I recall that you can think of them as permanently pregnant.
    Best to look it up.
    Alex

12. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

http://www.kangarooworlds.com/kangaroo-reproduction/
    The female is able to delay the attachment of the embryo to the fetus. This means she is able to control when she will be pregnant. When she has a joey in her body she won’t allow that to happen. Should her young die or mature enough to leave her then she will immediately become pregnant again. As long as conditions are right they can breed all year long.
    Alex

13. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Grass.
    But they love wholemeal bread which is why there are so few bakeries in the bush.
    Alex

14. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

Source?

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

That's the way large big grey and red roos operate. Been observed many times.

16. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

If that's true (kangaroos disembowel dogs) then might it be a good idea to keep dogs under control around kangaroos (and other animals, even humans)? Nah. Ridiculous. These are dog owners we're talking about here.

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Whatever the situation, Kangaroos are culled for the stated reasons.
    This bloke was on a property. Why should he keep his dogs on a leash.
    I mean all he did was punched the roo for gods sake!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/12/man-punches-kangaroo-saves-dog-australia/

18. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

You generalise presumably because you have had a bad experience..
    I had four dogs when in the bush and believe me you need them for protection.
    When you go for a walk without dogs you are at risk from wild dogs, bad humans but most of all its so easy to step on a snake. They keep snakes out of the house. I dont mind the carpet snake in the house and neither did the dogs but I dont like black snakes and most of all brown snakes cause even a little one will kill you.
    I dont think dogs should be in a city but folk would not understand why I say that and I dont intend to defend that statement.
    Alex

trevor borocz johnson likes this.
  19. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

My dogs did not annoy the pretty faces cause I told them not to.
    Alex

20. Confused2 Registered Senior Member

Alex,
    I think your dogs and me would get on just fine.

21. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

They were on a boar hunt, and these are boar hunting dogs...you can see one of them wearing a protective breastplate. Here is the website of the guys in the video:

http://www.bloombrothers.com.au/

22. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Side note here:

We recall that my Yellow Labrador Retriever and I run 7 miles a day every day all year round. We are on trails and sidewalks, in town and in the bush. We are strictly street legal under state laws. We are on lead or off lead depending on the situation and the environment. We communicate with each other very well. We do not chase or confront others regardless of species.

Every once in a while we encounter someone(s) who wish to confront and attack us. Sometimes they're human, sometimes canine. This year it has been thus far 2 separate human assaults. Both were very muscular gym type men. One was in his mid 30's, the other in his late 40's. Last year it was 2 off - lead Doberman bitches that attacked my Lab on one occasion, a human female after me on another.

My response to all of the above was pepper spray. The only ones that actually got sprayed were the Dobs.

We are grateful that there are few kangaroos in the greater Detroit area these days.....maybe the blizzards.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

500 million, not 50 million.