Does Non-Existance Exists?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by TruthSeeker, May 27, 2006.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

This question is a little bit tricky..
    Is there anything in the universe that exists as non-existance?

Like something void of physicality. For instance, a concept or something which we can imagine. Or whatever else. Does it exist?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

physicality is only a human description of what we can observe. if there is something we cannot observe then it is only because of our own limitations, not because it is fundamentally different than any other force. anything that affects this universe can be described as a physical force because it is possible to be observed.

existence is. there are no types of existence or non-existence. either something exists or it does not exist.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I was attracted to this thread because the title made me laugh.

For fun I decided to write this out in math notation. I gotta say, made my day.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. QuarkMoon I Registered Senior Member

How the hell can non-existence exist when non-existence contradicts existence? Get a life, TruthSeeker! :m:

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I think what he might be getting at is this: is non-existance possible? Are all things that could exist, exist?

9. QuarkMoon I Registered Senior Member

No, because our imagination is not based in reality. If what we imagine to exist was realistically possible, it would exist or at the very least hold the possiblity of existence. However, anything we imagine to not exist are ideas that would not fit in reality, hence non-existence.

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

this belongs in the "stupid question" thread
    i believe it's in the cesspool

11. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

How do you know there are not other universes parallel to our own, and infinite number of them? Such a large quantity would surely create all things that could possibly exist as there is a large enough sample to do so. So then my question is what makes it so that a conceivable thought "existable" or not?

12. QuarkMoon I Registered Senior Member

Any parallel Universe's would not be considered our reality, and therefore any discussion about remote possiblities do not apply.

13. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

What is "our" reality? What if for "our" universe, there is another one encompassing it? And inside that one, as I said, an infinite number? Then all things that could exist will exist. Just a possibility.

14. QuarkMoon I Registered Senior Member

Just because you can imagine it (parallel Universe) doesn't mean there is a possiblity it exists. I imagine a Human being with equal the mass of the Sun who grabs the Earth in the palm of his hand and crushes it just because he can. Is that a possiblity? No. That goes back to my original statement, our imaginations are not based in reality. Also, "our reality" simply means our plane of existence. The "possiblities" of existence outside of our reality is a completely different matter.

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Perfect.

16. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

No, the exact opposite is true. Our imagination is always based on reality. Try to imagine anything, and you will see it. Even if we try to create something, we use existant things in order to create something new. Creativity is simply the ability to make unusual connections.

17. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Flying spider monkeys are based on reality? Perhaps bird + spider monkey, the whole's parts, but not the whole.

18. Sgal Principessa Registered Senior Member

I have read somwhere that there are 44 universes total. I think the meaning of reality is defined by what you choose to believe in.

19. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Who found them? I think "44" is a number refering to one of many types of human brains. Psychology just seems to click on that one.

20. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yes, that's a good example.

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I was born on the 4th of April, 1984. Maybe "44" refers to me?

Yes! I'm the master of the universe! Bown down to the great 44!

22. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

How about this question.. will everything that can exist eventually exist in a finite amount of time? I don't know where I stand here.. but I guess someone make an opinion and I will just argue the opposite. That sounds like fun.

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

How about the flying spaghety monster?