Does Non-Existance Exists?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by TruthSeeker, May 27, 2006.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Oh well... everything is relative...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

nothingness is the simplest form of non-existence. if nothing existed, everything wouldn't exist. its like looking at a blank sheet of paper and saying there's nothing there. its still a piece of paper, its something.

and yes, i do believe that everything that exists has always existed, it seems like a very likely possibility. i think that the universe is so interrelated that it is ultimately uniform, and that we percieve that as being no different than nothing, but it is not actually nothing because the term 'nothing' is only a false connection in our mind. its like if you looked at a line graph with all the possible lines filled in. it would be completely black (or whatever color ink you have). but everything would still be in there.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

exactly

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Good thinking....

8. Wilmet Registered Senior Member

I think everything in the universe exists in one form or another. A concept exists as a concept. The concept can be developed and even expressed in the physical but then the expression is not the concept itself... it is just a representation of the concept... such as a painting.

9. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

everything is relative and nothingness is absolute.

10. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

and the state of an absolute seems to be contrary to the character of our universe.

11. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

All absolutes seem to form paradoxes. "Nothingness exists" is an oxymoron, a paradox. "Can God create a rock too heavy for God to lift?" etc.

12. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

the fact that nothing in the universe is absolute is an absolute, but that has already been said a million times.

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yes, Truth is paradoxical...

How many times have I said that?

14. RoyLennigan Registered Senior Member

i know, thats exactly why i worded it the way i did, yet it still came across as implying that an absolute can exist in our universe to you. i think its all relative and we're reaching a limit to what our language can convey with this topic. you cannot describe this kind of thought in words. but i feel like i have to try anyway.

there is no nothing and 'no nothing' is the same as everything. but at the same time, there are no absolutes (at least right now) because nothing is the only absolute and if there was nothing, then all relativity would cease to be. and that's all we are--groupings of energy that are relative to each other. at the point of t=0, the universe was cancelled out for a moment without duration. in that moment time did not exist, and so everything was absolute. but in an absolute such as that, it cannot exist with respect to anything before or after it because it has no duration and no effect. it is a one-way bridge. it is that point on the graph of a wave where the waveline meets the equilibrium line before passing on. eternity exists within the indivisible moment; the indivisible moment of a single quantum state. the absolute only exists in this moment of no change--a timeless state that has no duration. but it is a step in the stairway of time. because after one timeless state comes the next. then another and another. that is change--that is time.

relative to time, eternity exists with no duration--it is only a moment in retrospect.

15. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

The time is always now. But change is never now. An absolute? :bugeye:

16. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

Deleted

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  17. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

Deleted

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  18. nicholas1M7 Banned Banned

Existence is a predicate. "I exist" necessarily means "existence exists". Anything that contradicts existence is nothing (2nd Law of Thermodynamics). There is no form nor function in nothing. That is obvious. Consider that to exist, a square and a circle need have distinct manifesting properties. Hence, to create a "square circle" would be to create nothing and thus be anti-existence, or anti-distinctive. Therefore, to state that there can be the possibility of nothing in everything, that is, that non-existence can exist is itself a contradiction. Contradiction is not the same as paradox. Paradox may have existence. Paradox is contradictory to absolutes.

Therefore, nothing is the one true absolute.

19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Yes....
    Nothing has function, however. Ever read eastern philosophy? The nothing often creates the function for the something.....

20. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

Depends what your defintion of nothing is.

21. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Yes, we shall now discuss what "nothingness" means. It's rather mind boggling to me. As a child, for some reason I would torture myself trying to imaging what nothing was. All it did was send me to the mental confusion zone. I tried getting my friends to do the same, and all they did was laugh at me.

"Try to imagine NOTHING... no color, no black, no white... no objects... no energy.. NOTHING. Describe it to me."

I was a preteen nerd with not enough to do except take my ritalin.

22. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

Dont worry about thinking about it. Nothing dosent exist, nor has it ever.

23. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Well we can attempt to establish fact regarding existance of "nothingness" when we actually know what it is.

If it does not exist, then in what sense can we create the concept in our minds? Numbers do not exist, but we got an idea of what they are and how they work.