Does Non-Existance Exists?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by TruthSeeker, May 27, 2006.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Well, the existance of nothingness implies a potential existance rather then an actual one. The question is: can everything that we imagine possibly exist? We can certainly imagine the concept of nothingness. But can we imagine how nothingness looks like?

Furthermore, what is nothingness? Is it simply the existance of something which may exist? Or does it actually "occupates" "space"? If the first, then nothingness is all around us! If the second, it can only exist if the universe is finite, outside the boundaries of the universe!

So what is it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

What is your line of reasoning here? It seems your statement is self-contradictory by of definition of existance that you are using (or something. What?).

For nothingness to exist does not mean nothingness cannot exist... nothingness is just what we call whatever it is that does not exist.

No. Here is my counterexample: Say the universe is governed by a set of laws called A. I create my own universe in my mind governed by laws B. Assuming there is only one set of laws that work in our universe, I could not possibly create my own governed by laws B in one governed by A because all laws B would be subject to the laws of A.

Nothingness could be described as voidness of all which is conceivable by any and all forces which are conceivable by conceivable entities. Too many "conceivables," sorry.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Let me try this:

Nothingness could be described as voidness of all which is conceivable by any and all forces which are conceivable by conceivable entities which conceive and create all that is existant.

???

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Is that nothingness abstract?

8. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Huh? Trying being more specific

9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I don't see how I can be more specific. Is nothingness only a concept in our minds or is it out there?

How about that wording...?

10. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

Nothing is only a concept of the mind. Nothing by defintion is absolute lack of everything. And since we exist we can assume that something has always existed therefore eliminating the possibilty of nothing.

11. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

How about replying to my post critiquing your questions and statements.

Nothingness is an idea... a noun. We are not treating it like a "thing" and therefore commiting a fallacy. So it seems to me nothingness does not exist as we would consider existance in normal, everyday existance, but rather as an idea to describe that which is fulfils my rough definition of northingness.

12. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Wait... this is probably better:

Nothingness could be described as voidness of all which is constructable by any combination of all forces which are conceivable by material or nonmaterial entities which conceive and create all that is existant.

13. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

Why do you have to over complicate this?

Nothing is only the absolute lack of everything. Everything sums up all the things you just said

14. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

It is the INTP in me... on one hand I am very general and all over the place. On the other hand, I must be precise in my wording.

If you care to look: Click here for a detailed description that fits me all too fucking well. :bugeye:

15. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

But also SS, I want to know what nothingness is and how one would describe it. Yes, you can say it's a void. But what does this mean? A cubic meter of outer space void? How about if you could section this space off and deflect all forces (like gravity, gamma rays.. everything). Is it still nothingness? Is the space itself something, meaning we haven't created a cubic meter of nothingness yet?

Bleh.

16. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

Space itself is something. Even if it is void of energy or matter. Nothing is this. An Absolute Lack of Everything. That means it lacks Anything. This includes space, time, matter, energy. Nothing cant be measured becuase it would be infinite for if it was finte then that means it would have an ending poit or barrier and that implies something is there which means nothing isnt. Nothing (If it existed) would be infinte and without measure. Make sense?

17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Hail to all INTPs bro!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  18. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

I forget what personality type i am

know of any good sites to take those tests?

19. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

best thing you can do is look around and take multiple ones... "average" them together. Read the descriptions and see how well it fits you. You'll likely fit one way better than most.

20. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

No it doesn't make sense. I understand what you mean about space being something... but what is this something? Can it really made of ANYTHING? In what sense does nothingness exist? Just like numbers.. in what sense do numbers exist? Sort of along the same lines of thinking I assume.

21. spiritual_spy SN0W_F0X Founder Registered Senior Member

Hold on...Im confusing myself.

22. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

How? LOL. Unconfuse yourself and tell me why you are confused

23. ecclesiastes Registered Senior Member

the concept 0f nothing brings to mind the concept of zero 0....which brings to mind the integers,which further brings the negative numbers

so im beginnin to wonder if theres anything less than nothing,in a physical sense? like theres absolute void. n then u take more from it..what happens? but if theres nothing,you cant take anythin from it, or maybe u can. :m:
    damn our limited imagination.

hey spiritual try tickletests