Does the possibility that life has no meaning, bother you?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wegs, Aug 13, 2019.

1. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

It is what it is, and what you make of it yourself.
    We are but star dust.

sideshowbob likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

You could be right, many of our parents come from that generation, thus passing down some of their superstitions to us.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. kx000 Valued Senior Member

The point of existing is to be happy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Seattle Valued Senior Member

That's not the "point" of existing. There is no "point" and "happiness" is not a sustainable state. Leading a fulfilling life might be a better way to look at it.

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Happiness is a self-referential emotion.

It is said that the hardest thing to do is to forgive yourself for wrongdoing, whereas praising yourself for doing right creates self-generated happiness.

9. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

Perhaps we are given life to live it, and how we do so determines where we go when we die.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

This still raises a question: could someone in heaven, be cast out?

10. exchemist Valued Senior Member

You beat me to it. Exactly.

A sense of fulfilment is what will give us peace on our deathbeds.

cluelusshusbund and Write4U like this.
  11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Cast out from heaven to where...............

For that matter, where is heaven....

Paul Simon leaves us with some instructions.

The Afterlife;

12. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I like how Nietzsche viewed happiness. ''There are no beautiful surfaces without a terrible depth.'' - Nietzsche

TheFrogger and sideshowbob like this.
  13. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

yes, precisely
    and their parents before them, and the society they grew up in and the models of authority they are forced to develop behaviours and cultures around and in connection with.

i had to remind myself of what i was talking about just then. lol
    philosophical construction of the self inside a working philosophy of others and society and world at large.

while the need to develop concepts of wrong & right for babys & children is critical, the adult should be attempting to live free from bias.
    there is a biological concept of life that drives a sense of black or white, good or bad, however the human animal is far more complex.

thus culture should be an expression of the human rather than a control mechanism that reduces expression via cultural/artistic diversity
    This is the nature of "Liberty" to not only be free of tyranny, but to be free of bias that would otherwise infringe upon freedom to create and expand intellectually, artistically socially & culturally.

many people just read some comment of age era and baby-boomers and switch off to their pre-programmed state.
    thats fine if thats all they can cope with.
    i expect leaders of nations to be well ahead of that, leading by example.

irony leaders of nations define realms of creative boundary's and thus influence culture.
    so the meaning of life in terms of abstract thought is a valid need for leaders to be freely able to discuss.
    the machinations of the nasty people who just wish to burn others to make money will always undermine that.
    using what ever tools are most effective, religion, political lobbying etc etc...

the global hyper nationalism is driving a push to model less diversity.
    this is only going to hurt the worlds people as it inflicts an otherness of unacceptability to other cultures.
    this is the dark side of the global wave of nationalism.
    driving countrys to the brink of confrontation when all must be pulling together to help reduce Co2 and plastic and minimize oil use and promote and produce more solar.

i started reading on corporeal Forrest fires today

14. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

Those are not different ways to ask the same question; they are different questions.
    That's not about meaning, but significance; not about being but doing. For a sunflower, just producing seeds answers that question: passing on DNA is the entire task of its existence. For an intelligent human, progeny isn't enough: he's asking whether his choices, his actions and his work matters to anyone outside of himself.
    This one is about purpose. It's at the beginning of life: Is there a right and wrong way to approach life? Is there something I should be doing? In a way, that's always about God or Nation or Cause: Is there a greater good to which I owe a duty?
    This one is about legacy. What do I leave behind? Here, progeny might be an answer - but you'll have to have raised them so well that they're a lasting credit to the human race: it's still about doing - what chose to do and and how well you carried it out.

I think too many intelligent humans worry about maximizing the significance of what they do, and not enough worry about minimizing the harm they do.

James R likes this.
  15. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

At my brother's funeral, I was surprised (I'm embarassed to admit) how much of an impact he had on so many lives. He probably didn't realize it when he was alive. He just did what he did.

DaveC426913 and wegs like this.
  16. Write4U Valued Senior Member

In the end nothing lasts forever. The pyramids will crumble, Notre Dame will burn, levies will break, a century from now we may not recognize our birth places. Everything is subject to change, nothing stays the same.

The Dancing Wu Li Masters view every day as a new adventure to look forward to.

17. kx000 Valued Senior Member

That makes sense but there is a difference between cold dark rain and the negativity of hell.

18. Write4U Valued Senior Member

You'll never find out . While alive all you will ever experience is cold dark rain. But you'll be dead before you reach the negativity of hell.

Of course while alive there will be people who wish you in hell, but any resulting negativity depends on if your belief in hell.

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Well, Nietzsche seemed to view happiness as sort of a default position, and not something to intently strive towards. He believed that suffering has a place in life, and we should learn to find some meaning in it, instead of trying to avoid it. (for suffering is part of life) I like Nietzsche, but he's not everyone's cuppa tea.

Seattle likes this.
  20. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

what makes you think ?

21. Seattle Valued Senior Member

think=brain

brain/rain/Spain and the rest is self-explanatory...

22. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i have met people whom have cleared land & built houses for them-self and helped others do the same for free.
    built & maintained clubs and societys,
    saved many lifes
    fought the ignorant dictatorship of government systems to make them better while fighting criminality to build a better safer community.

i am insignificant when i compare my self to them.
    what i can do is continue to vote for a system that they helped to build & like minded people they supported and a future they sought to fashion with their own bare hands with blood sweat & tears.

DaveC426913 likes this.
  23. kx000 Valued Senior Member

That's good because I want hell to go to naught.