Dog lovers

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by birch, Oct 2, 2016.

1. birch Valued Senior Member

For any only dog lovers but cat haters who believe that cats are not loving, well, you are wrong and dont know what you are missing.

Most tabbies are the most loving, affectionate pets ever. I have never had a pet as affectionate and loyal as tabby cats. When i say they are affectionate, they are super sweet. You will be like wow, this cat can keep a family together. Mine would sleep right next to me when i would tuck him in and not move. Sit in my lap etc. Love to be held. Besides being loving, they have a fun personality and smart. Loved to play fetch. Thats right- fetch! A crumpled piece of paper was perfect and lightening fast/quick/agile which was much more interesting to witness than a lumbering dog. Would play until completely exhausted. Great pet. My favorite breed, both orange and grey.

Something about this breed is special. They have both cat and doglike characteristics and a very well-rounded personality. They are peaceful, alert, loving, playful, fun, mature, strong, intelligent and friendly to other animals, kids and people. Perfect balance between independence, cooperative and sociability. They are the alpha of domestic cats and i think they are the smartest of domestic cats. Look for the signature 'm' on their foreheads. I was told they were the original egyptian breed. They are very social/people oriented.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. birch Valued Senior Member

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2005-12-31-cat-called-911_x.htm

These ginger tabbies are geniuses.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I like cats and dogs and horses and cows.
    Animal count.. 1 cat (Norwegian Forrest cat great nature)
    2 silly dogs
    2 horses
    1 cow
    1 bull
    2 steers
    And hope to get some pet sheep the ones that drop their wool rather than having to cut it.
    I like animals they all have personalities.
    The cattle are pet like.
    Only the cat is let inside.
    Alex

joepistole and ajanta like this.
  6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I'm a dog man. So far I have had a Labrador, German Shepherd, two Rottweilers and now two Miniature smooth haired Dachsunds, which my parents also once had and were breeding from. Great bed companion and foot warmer, particularly when the Mrs has kicked you out of the sack for the night!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

I love dogs and have them around me all day and most nights.

I had a special cat once. She abandoned my girlfriend for me the first time I met the cat. She'd follow me through snow for the mile or so it took to hike up for beer and pizza when everybody was snowed in, never out of sight, and always there on the way back. She didn't even like Greek pizza, but she was watching out for me.

I had to put her down when she got sick after years, and it broke my heart so badly that I'll never have another cat. It still makes me cry.

9. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

When I was a full on hermit I had four wonderful dogs.
    When we walked in the bush there would be one in front one behind one in front one either side all about 20 mtrs away like little guards.
    When I rested one either side the other two would sit behind or in front but always down wind.
    I miss them and the life style.
    That was the old place.
    When they went a snake I had to run cause one of them would grab the snake and toss it in the air and no telling where it would land.
    When I moved it to that shack it rained and everything got wet the roof only kept out sunlight.
    I could not start a fire (I could these days) and I was suffering badly from cold so I laid in the wet bed with the dogs for heat. I think I would have died if not for them.
    I sure miss them.
    The dogs at the new place are not mine and they are ok but....The cat is great, one horse is a card... You have to give him an apple or a slice of bread if you come in or out... everybody does. He follows me with his head almost on my shoulder.
    I hate coming to the city.

Alex

joepistole likes this.
  10. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

I don't mind cats if:
    1. They're kept away from me
    2. They don't bring "things" into the house as presents. ("Things" are generally half- or fully-dead small creatures such as birds, mice etc)
    3. They're someone else's and I never see them
    4. They don't scratch

I do like dogs, though, but again preferably if they're someone else's, although that's only 'cos I don't want to bother with the vets bills, the illnesses etc.

And there are really only a few breeds that I would actually own: English Bull Terrier (best dogs ever!) and Beagle are the two that spring to mind.

11. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

My American Field Yellow Labrador Retriever is my very best friend, training partner, playmate and constant companion. We are inseparable. If she can't go somewhere, I don't go there either.

paddoboy likes this.
  12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I appreciate all animals as pets, even the humble Goldfish! But really there is something special about a dog: They most certainly can be and are a good friend and companion.

Stoniphi likes this.
  13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Well sure: dogs began to domesticate themselves more than 20,000 years ago. The lazier wolves noticed that the members of the nearby human settlement had a habit of throwing perfectly good food (for a dog's constitution) into piles not too far from their habitation. The dogs tried eating the stuff, and were amazed to discover that the humans considered that to be a public service!

Over the millennia, some wolves evolved into dogs. They have smaller brains than wolves, allowing them to thrive on a lower-protein diet. They have a weaker alpha instinct, so most of them are quite happy to let a biped be leader of the pack, especially since he brings half of a dead cow home every week or two. They exhibit neoteny (the perseverance of characteristics that normally fade away in adulthood): they bark, chase sticks, wag their tails, and play a lot--all activities that make them seem adorable to humans, and all activities that wolves usually lose by their first birthday.

All of these traits make it possible for dogs to be comfortable in large, multi-species communities, with humans, cats, cattle, parrots and myriad other animals. But if a wolf pack gets much larger than about ten or twelve, it's almost inevitable that two of them will soon start fighting for leadership.

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  14. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Dogs would have been a real asset for early humans to assist with hunting and guard duty.
    Not to leave out cats who were probably used to protect stores of grain when farming took off.

Does anyone know why cats make that clicking sound when they see a bird?
    They don't seem to be able to control the impulse.
    Alex

15. timojin Valued Senior Member

So how do you teach a chiguagua from craping or pissing in the house without stuffing his nose into shit

16. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Are you drunk? What is a "chiguagua", and what the hell is "craping"?

Try not to be foolish.

17. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Feed chigah at a specific time each day then take him/her/it outside and let it run around also leave some crap in the yard as when they smell it they may go.
    But don't be cruel or harse that will only confuse the animal.
    Also when it does go give it a treat and praise.
    Alex

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Easy: Starting off when they are pups and just been weened, after every feed or drink, place them outside. When they do their bit, offer praise, or a titbit. [or place them on a layer of paper if only a few months old...They soon learn: And no, no need to rub his nose into the shit, which reflects on your poor knowledge of dogs and what is known as the reward system.
    I have had many dogs including two Rottweilers and have never had any problem with any of them: Both my Rotty's were bloody big 60kg sooks!

The last one called Rocky, would love rolling about the floor, playing with an 12 month old grand Nephew of mine. He would pull on Rocky's ears and ride him Bronco style around the Living room. It was hilarious watching them both at play!

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  19. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

What a smile!

Thanks!

20. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

My biggest dog looked like one but he wasn't.
    Gentle giant.
    Alex

21. timojin Valued Senior Member

I have a gentil d Malamute for 4 years is a big putch but very gentle , that one is trained it does its things outside but the new acquired is a chihuahua is untrained so I have problem inside , we are working on him . My malamute weights 140 lb it have a beautiful fur , but in summer time he is miserable on the outside. In summer time I can get probable 1- 2 lb. of fur .
    My chihuahua pick up lyse, since you guys have dogs wit short hair what do you do for lyse beside bating them .

22. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Never had the problem.
    My dogs swam in the dam (a pond of water) so I never bathed them.
    You can use dog fur the make great felt hats.
    Alex

23. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Are you disabled or something? Not being attitudinal with you, but some things just don't ring up on the register...

You've used good grammar and construction before, but recently I just wonder.

I hope you're OK.