Dog lovers

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by birch, Oct 2, 2016.

1. timojin Valued Senior Member

I don"t pretend what comes into my head immediately I print . I don't look twice whay I print. If you don;t like so be it. But you instead to contribute some to the discussion you only criticize.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Indeed. However, the relationship between humans and wolves began twenty to thirty thousand years ago, so dogs (a subspecies of wolf) have had a long time to evolve and adapt.

The relationship between humans and cats, on the other hand, only goes back to the invention of granaries, roughly 5,000 - 6,000 years ago. Cats were attracted to the granaries in Egypt and other early civilizations because they were teeming with rodents. The humans were delighted to get this kind of assistance with their primitive agriculture, and they did everything they could to welcome the cats. They put out saucers of milk to feed on when they had greatly reduced the rodent population. They even let the cats live in their homes, and took care of their babies when the adults went back to the granaries.

This was wonderful, but it's a fairly recent phenomenon. It hasn't been long enough for cat biology to change very much. Today's cats are, genetically, not very different from the cats that discovered the first granaries. Compare this to dogs, which are considerably different from wolves in both anatomy and psychology. As I noted in my earlier post, they have smaller brains, allowing them to survive on a diet with less protein (i.e. eating a lot of garbage), they have a much weaker alpha instinct so they can live happily in large packs with a human as the alpha, and they express neoteny: the retention of infant behaviors into adulthood, which makes them quite adorable to us.

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Thank you Fraggle Rocker for taking to time to explain things to me.
    Thinking about it I think I need more protein.
    Alex

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

My Lab goes swimming every single day until the ice sheet gets too far out towards the center of the river. Then she is back in as soon as the ice starts to break up in the spring. I call her "Spike" in the winter as she gets soaked, then her hair freezes into little spikes until we get home and she thaws out. I buff her off with a towel I keep hung next to the back door just for that purpose. I use Frontline on her to deal with the bugs, otherwise, and keep the house very clean. When I shampoo the carpets I use an anti dust mite additive (helps with my allergies) which also kills flea larvae and the like. Her blankets get washed with De-Mite every other week, as do our bedsheets.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

We give the Peanut (our dog's name, sorry) Trifexis. Seems to take care of all the Texas bugs, anyhow.