Domestic Terror in Iran

Discussion in 'World Events' started by abu_afak, Oct 16, 2007.

1. abu_afak Banned Banned

Domestic Terror in Iran
    Iran has just carried out the largest wave of executions since 1984.

By Amir Taheri
    Aug 6, 2007
    Wall Street Journal

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It is early dawn as 7 young men are led to the gallows amid shouts of "Allah Akbar" (Allah is the greatest) from a crowd of bearded men as a handful of women, all in hijab, ululate to a high pitch. A few minutes later, the seven are hanged as a mullah shouts: "Alhamd li-Allah" (Praise be to Allah).
    The scene was Wednesday in Mashad, Iran's second most populous city, where a crackdown against "anti-Islam hooligans" has been under way for weeks.

The Mashad hangings, broadcast Live on local television, are among a series of public executions ordered by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad last month as part of a campaign to terrorize an increasingly restive population. Over the past six weeks, at least 118 people have been executed, including 4 who were stoned to death. According to Saeed Mortazavi, the chief Islamic prosecutor, at least 150 more people, including 5 women, are scheduled to be hanged or Stoned to death in the coming weeks.
    The latest wave of executions is the biggest Iran has suffered in the same time span since 1984, when thousands of opposition prisoners were shot on orders from Ayatollah Khomeini.

Not all executions take place in public. In the provinces of Kurdistan and Khuzestan, where ethnic Kurdish and Arab minorities are demanding greater rights, several activists have been put to death in secret, their families informed only days after the event.

The campaign of terror also includes targeted "Disappearances" designed to neutralize trade union leaders, student activists, journalists and even mullahs opposed to the regime. According to the latest tally, more than 30 people have "Disappeared" since the start of the new Iranian year on March 21. To intimidate the population, the authorities also have carried out Mass Arrests on Spurious grounds.

According to Gen. Ismail Muqaddam, commander of the Islamic Police, a total of 430,000 men and women have been arrested on charges related to drug use since April. A further 4,209 men and women, mostly aged between 15 and 30, have been arrested for "hooliganism" in Tehran alone. The largest number of arrests, totaling almost a MILLION men and women according to Mr. Muqaddam, were related to the enforcement of the new Islamic Dress Code, passed by the Islamic Majlis (parliament) in May 2006...."
    "....The wave of arrests has increased pressure on the nation's inadequate prison facilities...."

[....]
    the balance at: http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110010434

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

fair and balanced
    as demanded by the baron

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

Domestic Terror in America

who will oblige?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. otheadp Banned Banned

GUSTAVISH TERROR IN SCIFORUMS

who will stop this snarling beast?

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Gustav, please stop trolling.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Hmm, seems like it's obvious to me. People in Iran should obey the laws and rules of their society. And if they don't, ....well, they have to suffer the consequences.

I've heard several people here on sciforums say what a wonderful nation Iran is, so if they say it, it must be true, right?

Baron Max

10. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Remember that when they hang people in Iran there is no drop, and the rope is positioned to strangle the victim slowly, choking on his own vomit, yes the mercy of Islam.

11. Gustav Banned Banned

pardon
    just one more

i have instituted a program...

SCIFORUM'S ZIONIST ERADICATION PROGRAMME

hop to it nigs
    there are quotas to be met

12. otheadp Banned Banned

uzi does it, feller

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Do not speak of Mercy, not after what plenty of white Christian supremacists and Crusaders have done.

And this is no different. The Government of Iran is too literal by the book.

I'm sick of people acting like Islam is at fault.

Islam is the belief. It all depends on HOW you interpret it, and your surroundings, as well as how strict you are.

Same goes for Judaism and Christianity. You can (and as it was once in history) take the Bible, and make some barbaric cult out of it.

This is no different. Was it so during the time of the Shah?

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

What's Islam got to do with it? Didn't Christians burn people at the stake and crush them under rocks, and never mind the way its still being done. I'm gonna guess being electricuted is pretty painful.

I bet Australia, Canada, and most of Europe find us pretty barbaric.

15. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Its like a scene right out of the Old Testament.

The funny thing is, the Old Testament was at the dawn of Civilization. At that point in history when people were just coming out of the jungles and needed strict laws to keep everyone in line and allow for very large groups of oragnized humans.

Crazy isn't it?

16. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Lets say that in the modern world women and men are legally equal. BUT there is this religous beleif that says men can have 4 wives. Lets say we find that in societies were polygamy is practiced (men either have or hope to have 4 wives) that women are not treated as equals. BUT, the religion also says that women should be cared for and treated fairly.

We find that in societies were polygamy is enforced (regardless of religion) women are not treated as equals.

Do you then say: It's not the religions fault - it's the peoples fault who practice the religion?

It seems clear to me it's the fault of the religion for promoting polygamy.

Michael

17. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I don't know but shouting God is Great while strangling someone is kind of creepy. I don't know about you but I think it'd freak me out if when in the USA people were executed some other people held up the Bible and shouted Jesus is Great Jesus is Great. Actually, maybe we try this shouting thing out each time there is an execution for about a year so that Americans get repulsed by mixing Religion and Politics.

I really worried by the recent trend of mixing the two.

18. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

400 years ago, you seem to be way behind the times, what century do you live in? Christians that I know live in the 21st century.

Islam is still doing this today, stoning, beheadings, strangulations, and did this 100...200...300...400...1000...1400, years ago and is still doing it today in the name of Allah and the Prophet.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm anyone know whats happening with the air raids in Iraq and Afghanistan? The people in Abu Ghraib and Gitmo?

The thousands of Palestinians (including children) in Israeli prisons? The 60 year militant occupation of Palestine?

Or are we just sympathetic to victims in Iran?

20. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Yeah. We're killing bad and stupid people who give us reasons to kill them for being bad and stupid provocateurs.
    More bad and stupid people who happened to be lucky.
    Speaking of lucky bad and stupid people.
    Take it up with the U.N..
    One would have thought that Dafur would have been mentioned somewhere in your post about victims deserving protections.

So much for arguments pretending to champion lack of victim selection bias.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Sorry if I asked this before. Do you think that the Muslim conquest of Constantinople was wrong?

Yes this was atrocious and I do hope Bush and Cheney are brought to justice.

This is funny SAM as I seem to remember you were very very supportive of the conquest and occupation of Persia by Muslims?

Funny that.

Michael

22. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Some invasions are more equal than others.

23. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

OH wait now I remember that's because it was for their own good, oh and no one was harmed, or and a million other excuses .. ... ... kind of like those polytheistic Arabs - some times its OK to murder and conquer people? I'm sure there are a lot of Good Christians supportive of those air raids over Iraq and Afghanistan for similar reasons....